Looking to make the jump

fdxvet123

Looking for advice,thinking of making the jump from Fedex to UPS as a feeder driver. There is a New building going up in my area and they are looking for permanent full time drivers. Any info provided is appreciated. I have lots of vacation to lose with 20+ years here where I am currently at,but I am thinking about retirement and medical benefits and also that everyone hired is pretty much starting the same.. Was told would be part of union day one was hired,does this sound right? Also how does vacation work and accrue,again any insight is greatly appreciated,scheduled for road test next week

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Feeders is definitely a good choice but finding a feeder position as a new hire is still sometimes difficult. We hired a couple outside this year but the list is already getting pupulated again. Easily a 2-3 years waitlist.

fdxvet123

The position is there for the taking if I pass the road test. It’s a brand new building that was built and they are hiring it seems all the drivers they Can off the street..only reason why I’m contemplating it

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
.. the list is already getting pupulated. ..
golden retreiver puppies.jpg

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
You have a better chance with a knife in a gun fight than going FT UPS Feeder. Stay where you at. You dont want start at the bottom of the barrel at UPS when hot all that time at FedEx.

oldupsman

You have a better chance with a knife in a gun fight than going FT UPS Feeder. Stay where you at. You dont want start at the bottom of the barrel at UPS when hot all that time at FedEx.

Strictly depends on where you are located. Here they actually have flashing boards in front of a new
building in Allentown Pa. asking for CDL and class A drivers hiring immediately. I was told by an
old feeder sup I know who keeps in touch that between eastern Pa., New Jersey, and Delaware they
are short 300 fulltime drivers. That's package and feeder combined.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Strictly depends on where you are located. Here they actually have flashing boards in front of a new
building in Allentown Pa. asking for CDL and class A drivers hiring immediately. I was told by an
old feeder sup I know who keeps in touch that between eastern Pa., New Jersey, and Delaware they

We are short on PC Drivers here cause they going to Feeders. Hard to make a jump like that here.

fdxvet123

This is actually the location I have the road test for. I’m still torn because of the vacation I’ll lose but everything else lines up nicely being that there won’t be as much seniority in a new building if everybody is starting at the same time

finaddict

Seniority is everything. If its a new bldg and with a dozens of new drivers, seniority will come down to date and time of application and if still tied a coin flip will determine who is senior for your entire career. Make sure you have all your dates noted for application, interview, hire, start and acquiring seniority which is 30 working days. I would never recommend someone in your position leave their job for UPS but with a NEW bldg its a different story. You're vested for retirement after 5 years.

fdxvet123

Seniority is everything. If its a new bldg and with a dozens of new drivers, seniority will come down to date and time of application and if still tied a coin flip will determine who is senior for your entire career. Make sure you have all your dates noted for application, interview, hire, start and acquiring seniority which is 30 working days. I would never recommend someone in your position leave their job for UPS but with a NEW bldg its a different story. You're vested for retirement after 5 years.
Thanks..I know,this has been a very hard decision to make..I’m 44 now so if I’m ever gonna make a change now is the time. Fedex has been good to me but the medical isn’t the greatest and having 21yrs in and still not top pay is a slap in the face,5 wks vacation and a country club route makes it worth staying though