Do i have to take a lunch in a right to work state?

• Yes

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

35years

Gravy route
Being in a right to work State has nothing to do with taking your break.

My guess is that the driver actually means he is not joining the union, so the rules don't apply to him.

When push comes to shove and they terminate you for falsifying your timecard, good luck being a right to work scab.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Does right to work give one the right to falsify?

Guys are working through breaks, and coding in that they took them, which is a violation of federal law.
Never heard anyone admit to coding a meal they didn't take. There are no paid breaks, it's one hour unpaid that can be split in three and taken before the end of the 8th hour.

Guys aren't taking their meal period, they're not recording a meal period, and management is not taking a meal period out of their hours. It's not a violation of any law. The Southern contractual language says drivers may be disciplined for not taking a meal... it doesn't happen. Not right, but that's how it goes down.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Never heard anyone admit to coding a meal they didn't take. There are no paid breaks, it's one hour unpaid that can be split in three and taken before the end of the 8th hour.

Guys aren't taking their meal period, they're not recording a meal period, and management is not taking a meal period out of their hours. It's not a violation of any law. The Southern contractual language says drivers may be disciplined for not taking a meal... it doesn't happen. Not right, but that's how it goes down.
Our Diad's require you to put in a meal time.

JL 0513

OP, explain what you mean by tying right to work to lunch breaks. There's no relation.

Lunch breaks are based more on what state law requires. Contract language is different state to state largely for that reason. In my state, an hour must be taken for an 8+ hour shift. Some states it's a half hour.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
A class action suit would solve this problem fast. It would be so easy for a computer forensic team armed with a court order to uncover those working while on break.
Tell me the law firm and I'll give them all the info they need.....for a small fee.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The state I reside in (WI) has no law requiring a lunch break. It only suggest 1/2 hour be provided for an 8 hour shift. A few factories in the area have 20 minute lunch breaks and leave 10 minutes early at the end of the day.

Dr.Brownz

In central, it is 11-3 but not enforced other than to say take your break before return to building.

In the west it is between 12 and 2. Also second meal has to be 5 hours after the first one so it is better to always take lunch right at noon no matter where you are in the route.

Rack em

Made the Podium
In the west it is between 12 and 2. Also second meal has to be 5 hours after the first one so it is better to always take lunch right at noon no matter where you are in the route.
I'm under the western supplement and we are required to take no less than 30min, but no longer than 1 hour lunch between the 3rd and 6th hour of our shift.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
In the Central, it is between the 3rd and 6th hour, and, per Article 18, is required to be taken.

30 minutes unpaid.
Well Mug, we all know what is says and what they enforce or don't enforce are not the same. 3rd and 6th 11-3, close enough for government work. I should have just said in my building since there is no uniformity even between locals in a region.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Well Mug, we all know what is says and what they enforce or don't enforce are not the same. 3rd and 6th 11-3, close enough for government work. I should have just said in my building since there is no uniformity even between locals in a region.

Weird.

I was going to add close enough.

My point was that contractually, it is to be taken during the day, not at the end of the day.

If there is not time, UPS needs to make time.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Weird.

I was going to add close enough.

My point was that contractually, it is to be taken during the day, not at the end of the day.

If there is not time, UPS needs to make time.

I was involved in a discussion like this last night and the point was also made that there should be no reason why people have had to resort to pissing in bottles instead of being able to go somewhere sanitary no matter how far.

You and I know that the powers that be in the crystal palace know this type of sH* is going on and nothing is being done about it.