Do i have to take a lunch in a right to work state?

• Yes

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

542thruNthru

While you most certainly should, you are not required to take your meal uninterrupted-----you can break it up.

This is not true where I am. If we interrupt our lunch we have to start it over. Our DIADs are also locked during our lunch.

I'm sure what you said is true in many areas just not in SoCal.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
maybe it's different once you're an old man, but taking a long break during the day saps my momentum, and most drivers i know say the same thing
When you're as old as I am you have no momentum, just slow and steady.
That 10 minute lunch & 20 minute nap in the middle of the day keeps my PDS from loading me up with extra stops.

JL 0513

This is not true where I am. If we interrupt our lunch we have to start it over. Our DIADs are also locked during our lunch.

I'm sure what you said is true in many areas just not in SoCal.

This is stupid. I enjoy the freedom to take my lunch whenever I want in up to four divided segments.

542thruNthru

This is stupid. I enjoy the freedom to take my lunch whenever I want in up to four divided segments.

I disagree. I like that fact that it shuts down and will not allow work or messages. I can also take my lunch at any time. We also only have a 30 min lunch along with 2 15min paid breaks.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the last couple years i was there, the company really cracked down on a 30 minute meal for feeders during the 4th and 6th hour.

probably had something to do with the multi-million lawsuit the co. lost in Sacramento on meals and breaks. every driver received 10k or somewhere around that. plus now they get a 3rd paid break after 10 hours.

542thruNthru

1458855321704-881492036.jpg

So to interrupt your lunch you'd have to end the meal but this as the message says would mean you need to start your lunch over.

MAKAVELI

I disagree. I like that fact that it shuts down and will not allow work or messages. I can also take my lunch at any time. We also only have a 30 min lunch along with 2 15min paid breaks.
Just curious, you say you can take your lunch at anytime but California law is by the 5th hour of work. If we go 5 hours + 1 min FedEx has to pay us an hour penalty pay.

542thruNthru

Just curious, you say you can take your lunch at anytime but California law is by the 5th hour of work. If we go 5 hours + 1 min FedEx has to pay us an hour penalty pay.

I brought this up to you a while back. It was explained to me that California passed something saying we could go by the CBA. Don't know how accurate that is but it's what the local and the company told us.

MAKAVELI

I brought this up to you a while back. It was explained to me that California passed something saying we could go by the CBA. Don't know how accurate that is but it's what the local and the company told us.
Oh. It must be accurate because FedEx was slapped with a class action lawsuit years ago and that's the reason why we are locked out of our power pad during lunch and have to start our break by the 5th hour.I would prefer to take it later most days but it is what it is.

Observer

Check with the Division of Wage and Hours-Dept. of Labor in your respective state. In some RTW states it will say breaks must be paid and lunch is not/ nor is- lunch mandatory to employeesl That is how it is my RTW state. I always figured companies had to allow you a lunch break - not always true. Good luck