"Lunch"

clarnzz

I don't understand what you mean by "lunch runner".

Person who doesn't take a full lunch or records a lunch and works through it.

The only time taken out of my pay is what I put in my board. If I take 1 minute, 1 minute is taken out.

That's not lunch--takes me longer to pee and wash my hands (or is it wash my hands then pee?).

If I take an hour an hour is taken out. If I had taken my full hour I would of just gotten off at 630 instead of 530.

...and depending on your start time part of or all of that hour would have OT...

The person mandating our stops per car could care less whether we take our lunch or not, it wouldn't change.

If all of the drivers in your center took their full lunch and break during the contractually mandated times your damn right the SPC would change.

I guess the differance between our centers is we are not required to take more than a minute. The only time taken out of my pay is what I code as lunch. I wouldn't of made one cent more by taking my full hour vs. 1 minute.

I don't think our SPC would change if everyone took their full hour, I could be wrong, maybe someone in management could shed some light here?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If I take 1 minute, 1 minute is taken out.
If I take an hour an hour is taken out. If I had taken my full hour I would of just gotten off at 630 instead of 530.

...and depending on your start time part of or all of that hour would have OT...

Can you run that logic again ...I don't get it. Maybe some surrounding constraints.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can you run that logic again ...I don't get it. Maybe some surrounding constraints.

I just did the math and it turns out that I was wrong. I posted the above using the assumption that 45 minutes would automatically be taken out, which is the case where I work.

My first thought was that if the OP started at 0900 that OT would start at 1745. If he takes 1 minute and punches out at 1730 he would still have the 45 min taken out and would be paid for 7.75 hours worked and .25 hours guarantee. If he takes the full 45 minutes and punches out at 1830 he would be paid for his 8 and would have 45 minutes of OT.

When I do it without the 45 minutes being automatically deducted the OT works out the same. 0900 start, 1730 punch out, 1 minute for lunch equals 29 minutes OT. 0900 start, 60 minutes for lunch, 1830 punch out, 30 minutes OT.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
"Lunch"

What the op doesn't get is that the 50 minutes of break he skips doesn't equal 50 minutes of work. If you take lunch maybe the route has to be run different or air shuttled back to the building or businesses shuttled to another driver. This all adds time to your day OT I might add so even though they don't automatically take lunch out of his check he is still cheating himself out of money.

clarnzz

It used to be the case that we had 50 minutes taken out of our time everyday whether we took it or not. The story was there was some class action suit in California regarding this practice that cost UPS somewhere around 100 million dollars. Then it all changed and the only thing taken out is what we take.

It suprises and scares me that it seems I am in a very small minority when it comes to lunch being handled this way. I hope it doesn't change!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: "Lunch"

What the op doesn't get is that the 50 minutes of break he skips doesn't equal 50 minutes of work. If you take lunch maybe the route has to be run different or air shuttled back to the building or businesses shuttled to another driver. This all adds time to your day OT I might add so even though they don't automatically take lunch out of his check he is still cheating himself out of money.

OR if he runs the route without lunch then "the route has to be run different or air shuttled back to the building or businesses shuttled to another driver."This means if he took his 1 hour lunch, the route could be run with less paid time.

UPSGUY72

Re: "Lunch"

IF they only don't pay you for the time you put in for your lunch your not losing any OT. On the Other hand if your required to put in say Hour lunch unpaid and you run it than your screwing yourself out of OT most days....

Brownslave688

It suprises and scares me that it seems I am in a very small minority when it comes to lunch being handled this way. I hope it doesn't change!

Apparently you missed the reply stating DOT will require everyone take 30 minutes starting July of next year.

clarnzz

Apparently you missed the reply stating DOT will require everyone take 30 minutes starting July of next year.

That sucks, 30 minutes is better than an hour I guess. Was reading through the exemptions to this law and it's quite confusing. Guess will wait and see what happens next July. :(

Brownslave688

OK---is UPS going to make us put 30 minutes in to our DIADs and then not follow up to make sure we aren't lunch running or are they going to seriously enforce this edict?

I have no idea I would think they would enforce simply to avoid the lawsuit. What do u think o mighty browncafe yoda?

Re-Raise

I hate to jump in on the side of someone who would threaten his own innocent pinky toe, but I am also in 710 at a bonus center and what he is saying is true for me also.

We apparently are the minority when it comes to the lunch period. We put in the amount of time we take for lunch whether it is 1 minute or an hour, and that is unpaid time.

We don't have an hour taken out like we used to. Some drivers take longer and get in later, some drivers like the op take less and get in earlier.

Management looks at stops per car and the dispatch, how long we code out has no impact on these numbers.

Indecisi0n

OK---is UPS going to make us put 30 minutes in to our DIADs and then not follow up to make sure we aren't lunch running or are they going to seriously enforce this edict?

No UPS does care but if DOT finds out and UPS get fined then i could see UPS viewing that as dishonesty. You are lying about being on lunch and falsifying records which could lead up to and including termination.

HULKAMANIA

Upstate Im confused are you saying that you think we can put in 30 minute lunch and not actually take it after the DOT rule takes effect? I apolagize if I misunderstood what you are saying, but I see it a different way if thats what you mean. DOT states we cant work a minute over 14 hours, I think the 30 minute DOT mandated rule is going to be the same. I dont think there can be any lying about it.

Brownslave688

Upstate Im confused are you saying that you think we can put in 30 minute lunch and not actually take it after the DOT rule takes effect? I apolagize if I misunderstood what you are saying, but I see it a different way if thats what you mean. DOT states we cant work a minute over 14 hours, I think the 30 minute DOT mandated rule is going to be the same. I dont think there can be any lying about it.

He is saying people will put it in their boards but work thru the break and ups will look the other way.

Buck Fifty

First of all , how can anyone do this job for 8,9,10 hrs with a 1 minute break. Reminds me of the guys who would work all day and then come back to the building and sit for 1hr. (We are required to take 1 hr lunch). The company can find all kinds of gaps in time and assume you took other breaks without recording. Clarnz, when you get fired for stealing time, you wont have to worry about breaking the toe to get a day off.