Made a sexual joke, got attacked, advice?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I was stationed in Texas we had a female civilian working in our office. We all learned quickly not to say anything even the least bit confrontational in front of or anywhere near her as she was looking for a reason to file for harassment.

quad decade guy

If you truly believe that what he said was out of line you would not have made it in the military, let alone at UPS. What he said was basically harmless.

Basically harmless...to who? You?

And "in-line" for who?

And all this grab ass? At work? I could believe it for my 7th grade locker room.
I never thought it a good idea for this kind of joking, I always felt you never know when the arbitrary line is going to be crossed for whatever reason.

Maybe just a bad day could cause this type of joking to go real bad.

Never personally joked in this way but I don’t feel resigning was a good way to go.

If you regularly joked this way good representation could have possibly resolved this apparent misunderstanding of your statement.

The other person would obviously need good representation as well to have a chance to smooth over the physical attack.

Fighting is a cardinal offense. Self-defense is not. Most sexual joking/harassment is mostly termination

at my hub, never seeing the perp again. Big no no.

Sadman101

Your sense of urgency is underwhelming.
I work roughly 20 hours a day during peak with 2 jobs, not in the greatest of rush to return to that. But, I also worked from the before they opened to after they closed.

I called the business agent, he said because I signed the resignation, there was nothing he could do.

That is all friend'in stupid considering he literally broke the law saying he was going to take away all my hours to force me to resign.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Basically harmless...to who? You?

And "in-line" for who?

And all this grab ass? At work? I could believe it for my 7th grade locker room.

Fighting is a cardinal offense. Self-defense is not. Most sexual joking/harassment is mostly termination

at my hub, never seeing the perp again. Big no no.
I agree most cases yes. I have seen a couple of people guilty of both survive them though.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I work roughly 20 hours a day during peak with 2 jobs, not in the greatest of rush to return to that. But, I also worked from the before they opened to after they closed.

I called the business agent, he said because I signed the resignation, there was nothing he could do.

That is all friend'in stupid considering he literally broke the law saying he was going to take away all my hours to force me to resign.

No surprise here.

You came here asked.

Several said don’t resign, including myself.

You resigned anyway.

Sorry for you loss.

May you be blessed in your future endeavors.

Zowert

I think you did UPS a favor. Anyone who gets violent over something that trivial is a ticking time bomb. If not you it was just a matter of time before he snapped on someone else.

Justaloader

Depending on your state, not illegal at all. Here in PA, we are an at-will state. The company can fire you for literally no reason if they want to. Granted, it gets muddy once the union gets involved.....but if you have a job with no union? You could come in one day and they say "yeah, we don't need you anymore - there's the door!" - and there isn't a thing you can do about it.

Sadman101

No surprise here.

You came here asked.

Several said don’t resign, including myself.

You resigned anyway.

Sorry for you loss.

May you be blessed in your future endeavors.
kind of hard to surf the forum when the Labor director is literally screaming in my face telling me to make a decision asap. With the shop steward agreeing to resign.

Depending on your state, not illegal at all. Here in PA, we are an at-will state. The company can fire you for literally no reason if they want to. Granted, it gets muddy once the union gets involved.....but if you have a job with no union? You could come in one day and they say "yeah, we don't need you anymore - there's the door!" - and there isn't a thing you can do about it.
Were aren't discussing a firing here.
He literally DID NOT break any laws.
Look up Constructive Discharge please. Altering hours to encourage someone to resign IS illegal, both federally AND in my state. Everyone here, and the Business Agent all say I couldn't be fired. So since he was threatening me and pressuring me, that IS illegal. Simple google search.

Integrity

Binge Poster
kind of hard to surf the forum when the Labor director is literally screaming in my face telling me to make a decision asap. With the shop steward agreeing to resign.

Were aren't discussing a firing here.

Look up Constructive Discharge please. Altering hours to encourage someone to resign IS illegal, both federally AND in my state. Everyone here, and the Business Agent all say I couldn't be fired. So since he was threatening me and pressuring me, that IS illegal. Simple google search.
You shouldn’t have resigned. You put yourself in a very difficult position.

Was Shop Steward present when he was screaming in your face?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I agree that you should never have resigned, and I blame your Steward, but the Labor Manager did not break the law.

Look up Constructive Discharge please. Altering hours to encourage someone to resign IS illegal, both federally AND in my state.

Your case was not Constructive Discharge.

He was not going to alter your hours, he was going to take away all your hours by discharging you for sexual harassment. Perfectly legal.

Even if he was not going to discharge you and he was going to cut you back to your guaranteed 3 1/2 hours, still not Constructive discharge.

But trust me, he was going to fire you if you didn't resign. And this was the way you should have let it play out. Again, I blame the Steward.

Everyone here, and the Business Agent all say I couldn't be fired.

Incorrect.

He can, and would have, fired you.

Is what everyone here is telling you is that the discharge would most likely have been overturned in a grievance hearing and you would have been put back to work.

So since he was threatening me and pressuring me, that IS illegal.

Threatening you and pressuring you with what?

A discharge if you did not resign? Not illegal.

If you feel like you were harassed into resigning, file a complaint with the EEOC, DOL and/or hire an attorney.

Good luck.

Sadman101

You shouldn’t have resigned. You put yourself in a very difficult position.

Was Shop Steward present when he was screaming in your face?
Yes, he had to get the labor manager to calm down.

Your case was not Constructive Discharge.

He was not going to alter your hours, he was going to take away all your hours by discharging you for sexual harassment. Perfectly legal.

Even if he was not going to discharge you and he was going to cut you back to your guaranteed 3 1/2 hours, still not Constructive discharge.
This is wrong for several reasons.
Logically, if he could have fired me on the spot he would have had no reason to threaten me with reduced hours. This also goes against what other members and the business agent said.

Making threats, and then also getting in my face yelling at me,
Constructive Discharge 100% applies in this situation. Especially if he could not fire me.
Incorrect.

He can, and would have, fired you.

Is what everyone here is telling you is that the discharge would most likely have been overturned in a grievance hearing and you
point that out cause if so I surely missed that.

Threatening you and pressuring you with what?

A discharge if you did not resign? Not illegal.

If you feel like you were harassed into resigning, file a complaint with the EEOC, DOL and/or hire an attorney.

Good luck.
Purposely twisting my argument shows you either aren't reading what I said or you are being purposfully disingenuous to support your argument. The latter is especially slimy.
he said if I didn't we would fire me in a week and refuse to give me work until then. The shop steward agreed with him for some reason.

the labor director was demanding i give him my badge and leave and he wasnt going to schedule me and fire me for sexual harassment
The threat was hours would be made ZERO if I didnt resign. He also got in my face and told me to leave. But the threat was always he would make my hours 0. THAT is one of the most basic violations of the whole title 7 act. You cannot do that. Look it up. Now, because he only threatened it, I would have to show I talked to a shop steward about it, that's pretty easy as he was right there.

Long story short, read the thread, stop portraying my words incorrectly, look up what defines constructive discharge. If you only read the very first post and my most recent post, give back and read my other posts.

Quick recap in case reading that much is difficult for you. With a little added detail.
Event happens,
I post,
continue arguing,
he then tells me he will cut my hours to 0 if I dont resign.
I ask the shop steward directly next to him.
Shop steward supports him.
I ask for time, he freaks out, screams to give me the badge while getting in my face.
This continues for a bit while I keep telling him I'm just asking for time to think.
Shop steward calms him down.
He reaffirms that he can do whatever he wants and I have to sign or else I get no hours scheduled.
Other supes agree I should sign.
Shop steward tells me to sign and recommends I go to the union and get a different job.
Etc
Etc
Etc
I sign the paper.