Major Furlough at Express?

Guitarman01

I find it odd that my entire tenure at express the Ramp has always needed drivers, and has always been a revolving door. And yet they can dangle a carrot of LWOP to upwards of 45,000 freight drivers.
Also, E star doesn’t work in metro areas. Period. I’ve run it for 5 months.
I think they are going to shut off estar even on Saturdays for our peak. If estar was trying to be like Orion to save gas, it's doing the opposite and everyone knows it including the higher ups.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Most probably don’t need to in order to attract employees. The ideal candidate is a young stupid man, they don’t typically care about benefits. I’ve had guys switch to different contractors without benefits because the bottom line on their paycheck would be higher. I prefer more stable employees that appreciate the benefits, leads to a better culture.

If you’re providing health care why would their paycheck be smaller than a contractor who doesent pay benefits

bacha29

You may offer “benefits” butt the majority of contractors don’t.
When talking healthcare benefits you're painting with a very broad brush. It involves a wide variation of coverages. networks, deductibles. annual out of pockets prescription coverage and first an foremost who pays the premiums. So when IWBF says he offers " healthcare" he isn't telling you much of anything.
He pays by the stop . It's share trucking just like share cropping. What he doesn't tell you is how many stops per hour a person has to do to get what he claims to be offering in terms of a wage when the stops per hour and the pay per stop is converted to an hourly wage.

What he's telling you is so lacking in specific economic terms that what he says cannot be taken as fact.
And as he claims that Express drivers were "too soft" . I believe that it's not a question of being "too soft" but rather being too smart. At least smart enough to recognize a bad deal when they see it.

It will be fine

If you’re providing health care why would their paycheck be smaller than a contractor who doesent pay benefits
I pay half the premiums, they pay half the premium. 401k the driver has to contribute to get the match. Some contractors don’t pay holidays or have any paid time off. So the baseline pay will be a bit higher than mine even if total compensation is lower. Some dumb dumbs will take the more money at the end of the week instead of the benefits.

It will be fine

When talking healthcare benefits you're painting with a very broad brush. It involves a wide variation of coverages. networks, deductibles. annual out of pockets prescription coverage and first an foremost who pays the premiums. So when IWBF says he offers " healthcare" he isn't telling you much of anything.
He pays by the stop . It's share trucking just like share cropping. What he doesn't tell you is how many stops per hour a person has to do to get what he claims to be offering in terms of a wage when the stops per hour and the pay per stop is converted to an hourly wage.

What he's telling you is so lacking in specific economic terms that what he says cannot be taken as fact.
And as he claims that Express drivers were "too soft" . I believe that it's not a question of being "too soft" but rather being too smart. At least smart enough to recognize a bad deal when they see it.
Blah blah blah. Such a worthless contribution based on your imagination.

bacha29

Blah blah blah. Such a worthless contribution based on your imagination.
Wrong. You resent the fact that I called you out on your claim that your compensation package is superior . Your claim is conditional upon the driver successfully meeting numerous, high level productivity requirements that are difficult if not impossible to reach that other carriers in the space do not require in order for the driver to earn a compensation package that in the end is still superior to yours no matter what you try to tell us.

It will be fine

Wrong. You resent the fact that I called you out on your claim that your compensation package is superior . Your claim is conditional upon the driver successfully meeting numerous, high level productivity requirements that are difficult if not impossible to reach that other carriers in the space do not require in order for the driver to earn a compensation package that in the end is still superior to yours no matter what you try to tell us.
No, that is not the case. You are making up a bunch of stuff because you’re mad and full of hate for people that have succeeded in a space where you failed. Get bent.

lilwizbiz

lmao laying off 140,000 people? Definitely 0 truth to it these guys ain't tryna pay no severance to anybody, you clearly don't know how cheap this company is when it comes to paying the couriers. They just gonna cut hours to bare minimum and watch OT like a hawk for a few months. Same old BS as usual in the 20 years I've been here. Almost impossible to get fired here.

bacha29

No, that is not the case. You are making up a bunch of stuff because you’re mad and full of hate for people that have succeeded in a space where you failed. Get bent.
You're angry over the fact that I stand in the way of the bull feces that you're trying to feed the others on this thread and elsewhere. The entire contractor settlement package is still based on a labor rate well below what the other two major carriers are offering. They don't have to pay half of their own insurance premiums for what is likely a lower level of coverage Their pension/disability plan is not a defined contribution plan that nobody knows how much it will be worth compared to a defined benefit plan There' simply no comparison between the two from a standpoint of total value.

Sure you might be able to close the gap a little bit through the use of borderline inhumane production quotas but even if they can be achieved you'll still never be able to match the other carriers dollar for dollar.

You know it and we know it so quit trying to make yourself look like Mr. Employer Of The Year. It's an impossible situation that you could have got yourself out of 3 years ago under much better terms.

MAKAVELI

Freight drivers are paid more hourly and have a much better benefit package, more like real trucker’s bills of lading set appointments,. RTD more like glorified couriers .
Pay might be decent at Freight but it's definitely not industry leading. And for benefits they get the same crappy benefits as Express.

It will be fine

You would have an argument if the job wasn’t so labor demanding. It’s just a matter of damn time chief!
The guy has been rambling about how there is no one willing to do the job for the last 15 years. It’s never been true, it doesn’t matter how many times he’s been wrong. He just keeps rambling.

bacha29

The guy has been rambling about how there is no one willing to do the job for the last 15 years. It’s never been true, it doesn’t matter how many times he’s been wrong. He just keeps rambling.
And you keep trying (unsuccessfully) to make us believe that your total compensation package matches dollar for dollar, stop for stop hour for hour what the other two major carriers pay.

You cannot match it.....You will never match it.....Because the entire dirty deal surrounds getting people to kill themselves out there on a daily basis for decidedly lower pay and cheaper benefits that covers far less. And that's the entire reason why you exist as a multi route contractor in the first place.

lilwizbiz

That’s the only reason I could see them offering voluntary furloughs (the Freight furloughs are voluntary) or station transfers… because Response is ending. And a lot of stations hired a lot of people to run response routes. When those routes disappear, there are going to be a good amount of Express couriers with nothing to do.
lol come on you know there's plenty of work for everyone
And you keep trying (unsuccessfully) to make us believe that your total compensation package matches dollar for dollar, stop for stop hour for hour what the other two major carriers pay.

You cannot match it.....You will never match it.....Because the entire dirty deal surrounds getting people to kill themselves out there on a daily basis for decidedly lower pay and cheaper benefits that covers far less. And that's the entire reason why you exist as a multi route contractor in the first place.
how so? we make 32/hr here after 5 years. UPS does make a bit more but after adding up union dues it works out to be the same amount.

Bald1der

$32 an hour after 5 years? Unless you’re an RTD or a station with a *temporary* pay hike, I don’t see how you can get to that number with the 10 step progression. Also $42 (local supplement) an hour x 47.5 hours a week (9.5 hour day contract language) at UPS comes to a gross of $2137 a week, union dues are roughly $100 a month. Company paid medical and defined pension as well. If you’re making $32 an hour, that’s damn good money, but it’s not a comparison to what UPS is paying.

We’re on the same side. Just checking your math.

lilwizbiz

$32 an hour after 5 years? Unless you’re an RTD or a station with a *temporary* pay hike, I don’t see how you can get to that number with the 10 step progression. Also $42 (local supplement) an hour x 47.5 hours a week (9.5 hour day contract language) at UPS comes to a gross of $2137 a week, union dues are roughly $100 a month. Company paid medical and defined pension as well. If you’re making $32 an hour, that’s damn good money, but it’s not a comparison to what UPS is paying.

We’re on the same side. Just checking your math.
Hmmm Canada seems to be a lot different than USA I guess. Over here it’s 32/hr after 5. Swings at 35/hr after 5. Ups does make more at 35/hr for non-swing (I talk to the guy on my route everyday). Year end bonuses as well, very good benefits and a 6% company match. Nobody ever goes from Express to UPS here because it’s basically the same money and benefits. Called the industry standard. Y’all got it rough over there in USA sheesh. Nobody would do this :censored2: here for less than 30 bucks.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
how so? we make 32/hr here after 5 years. UPS does make a bit more but after adding up union dues it works out to be the same amount.
UPS pays $42/hour.
So with 40 hour work weeks, that's $20,800/year more than $32/hour.

Union dues are 2.5x your hourly wage per month. So at $42/hr that's $1260/year.

$19,540 difference, without overtime.
Not to mention health dental vision and pension with zero employee contribution.

MAKAVELI

UPS pays $42/hour.

Not to mention health dental vision and pension with zero employee contribution.
Pretty informed for someone who lives and works in their Mama's basement.🤣

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Pretty informed for someone who lives and works in their Mama's basement.🤣
6.) Discussion can be animated, which is fine, but we do not welcome personal attacks, on- or off-board. Derogatory, insulting, or belittling statements, directed at other members as well as direct or indirect personal attacks are not permitted on our forum.

It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals or their choices or circumstances, which disparage their ideas, opinions, their occupation or their personal situation. These examples are not exhaustive. Insulting or disparaging another member is a personal attack regardless of the manner in which it is done. These offensive comments are contrary to the spirit of legitimate, reasoned debate and damaging to the purpose of our community.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, insulting, sexually-oriented or any material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned from this site. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions.

lilwizbiz

UPS pays $42/hour.

How long does it even take to become a full time driver there? I mean 42 is great money but they don’t hire drivers off the street that often. Most times you gotta start as a handler and do that for a couple years. UPS pays good but tbh we got a few guys touching 100k at our station but they never go home