Major Furlough at Express?

Aquaman

Please ill take 35hrs and home by 3.....sign me up!! So short staffed at my station, haven't done less than 55hrs a week in years. Things are going to change at Express, but it will be different for every station and region. If you dont do response now, the cancelation of it will not effect you. Station in no mans land with 1.5hr stems yea ground will take your stuff, that makes sense.
35 hours and home by 3 is why 80% of people work here. This isn’t a job to work 50+ hours a week and overtime yourself to death. It’s not worth that. If you want to work 50-60 hours a week, go to UPS. You’ll consistently do that and actually make a wage where it’s worth it. You CAN walk into a driving position at that company. You can make money anywhere, making anything, if you never go home. This isn’t that job. Be smart people.

AB831

35 hours and home by 3 is why 80% of people work here. This isn’t a job to work 50+ hours a week and overtime yourself to death. It’s not worth that. If you want to work 50-60 hours a week, go to UPS. You’ll consistently do that and actually make a wage where it’s worth it. You CAN walk into a driving position at that company. You can make money anywhere, making anything, if you never go home. This isn’t that job. Be smart people.
I don't understand why anyone would want a job where they're gone from home for 11-12 hours a day, six days a week. Sure, you'll get paid a fortune, but what good is it if you don't have the time to enjoy spending it? I bet it's nice being the son of a UPS driver.

MassWineGuy

A former manager of mine knew someone who drove for UPS for many years. He had many years left until typical retirement age, but he decided to quit. Some of his coworkers were surprised and asked him “Do you know what you’re walking away from?”

He replied: “At least I can walk away.”

Last edited:

bacha29

A former manager of mine knew someone who drove for UPS for many years. He had many years left until typical retirement age, but he decided to quit. Some of his coworkers were surprised and asked him “Do you know what you’re walking away from?”

He replied: “At least I can walk away.”
No question the job is an absolute joint killer. At the same time however, every person has a limited number of peak earning years. In that time frame you've got to make some real money and set it aside for when you're no longer physically able to work. It's especially true now given how economically stressed pension and healthcare retiree plans are becoming. As for those defined contribution 401K plans? They're only as good as the account balance is large.

btrlov

Union Dues are in effect healthcare contributions in a figurative sense.
As per contract UPS has to hire x amount of Union employees per 1 outside recruit. Traditionally the outside recruit has been from Fedex, USPS or an UPS part-time supervisor - that is either: getting promoted to Fulltime On-Road Supervison(Driving as OJT) or trying to get back into the Union- as a side note Places like Amtrak its common for managers to continue to pay union dues just in case they wanna voluntarily or involuntarily go to an hourly position which they often do.

anyway, in UPS, now a days off the street hires are common because the inside employee either doesnt have motivation, the driving experience or the liscense requriements or they got a cushy Hub position and reached top pay for inside. For example A Night Sort unloader or Twi Sort handler might be too exhausted to follow up with driving recruitment even though they have priority. A Preload shift Handler might have time to go for the driving test, but they are at top pay taping boxes or doing label corrections. So there has been a steady growth of external recruitment. I would hop over, as Express appears to be in its last days.

Layoffs or contructive layoffs are slowly becoming a reality. Express just doesnt have the pricing to attract consumers in a recession

zeev

Union Dues are in effect healthcare contributions in a figurative sense.
As per contract UPS has to hire x amount of Union employees per 1 outside recruit. Traditionally the outside recruit has been from Fedex, USPS or an UPS part-time supervisor - that is either: getting promoted to Fulltime On-Road Supervison(Driving as OJT) or trying to get back into the Union- as a side note Places like Amtrak its common for managers to continue to pay union dues just in case they wanna voluntarily or involuntarily go to an hourly position which they often do.

anyway, in UPS, now a days off the street hires are common because the inside employee either doesnt have motivation, the driving experience or the liscense requriements or they got a cushy Hub position and reached top pay for inside. For example A Night Sort unloader or Twi Sort handler might be too exhausted to follow up with driving recruitment even though they have priority. A Preload shift Handler might have time to go for the driving test, but they are at top pay taping boxes or doing label corrections. So there has been a steady growth of external recruitment. I would hop over, as Express appears to be in its last days.

Layoffs or contructive layoffs are slowly becoming a reality. Express just doesnt have the pricing to attract consumers in a recession
Wow great insight, Express small package is definitely in its last days the choice is an organized workforce like ups or the menial

thedownhillEXPRESS

Wow great insight, Express small package is definitely in its last days the choice is an organized workforce like ups or the menial
UPS’s days are numbered too. Next year they won’t reach a contract before a strike. Everyone can see Ground and Amazon slave workers doing 300-500 stops during peak for half the wages and little benefits. UPS can’t survive in that environment either and the Teamsters will have to realize that .

bacha29

UPS’s days are numbered too. Next year they won’t reach a contract before a strike. Everyone can see Ground and Amazon slave workers doing 300-500 stops during peak for half the wages and little benefits. UPS can’t survive in that environment either and the Teamsters will have to realize that .
The current congress voted to authorize the railway unions to accept the proposed contract. The question is will they seek a federal injunction? If they succeed then all bets are off. It is for that very same reason why Bill Clinton refused to get involved in the 1997 UPS/Teamsters brawl. He knew that somewhere in the United States the Teamsters had a federal judge lined up to slap him with an injunction and he wasn't going to allow himself to be cuffed around by some little federal judge.

When the new congress convenes in January they might have to deal with it. The strength of the Teamsters will be determined by two forces. The strength of the economy and it's ability to keep it's rank and file together over the course of what could be a very long strike.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The current congress voted to authorize the railway unions to accept the proposed contract..
That is an inaccurate statement.
Replace the word authorize with force.

Democrats voted to strip the unions of their bargaining power and force them to accept a contract they voted against.

shocker-shocked.gif

btrlov

Democrats voted to strip the unions of their bargaining power and force them to accept a contract they voted against.

View attachment 409467
they sure did. they cant force them work as thats slavery. But they will essentially make it illegal to strike. Which may include fines and firings. Then they would have federalize the guard to supplement the firings until they can recruit qualified personnel.

congress will vote to take away their leverage - the ability to cause economic pain on the nation. For better or for worse , indeed they took away thier bargain power …setting a bad precedent

yadig

they sure did. they cant force them work as thats slavery. But they will essentially make it illegal to strike. Which may include fines and firings. Then they would have federalize the guard to supplement the firings until they can recruit qualified personnel.

congress will vote to take away their leverage - the ability to cause economic pain on the nation. For better or for worse , indeed they took away thier bargain power …setting a bad precedent
I’m very disappointed in Biden, I really believed he was a union supporter. Talk is cheap

bacha29

I’m very disappointed in Biden, I really believed he was a union supporter. Talk is cheap.
I too am disappointed but at the same time but teetering on a full blown recession if not depression he had to pick his poison. Sadly, the only point of disagreement is the number pf paid days off. One single day is simply not enough. I can't understand why Congress simply doesn't pick out a number say 6 and say to the parties...." the number is 6 , sign on the dotted line or we will act".

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Funny part is that President Dementia took a victory lap over helping to broker this deal.

bacha29

That is incorrect.
They have major scheduling issues where workers are essentially on call indefinitely.
And as we talked about. Will congress intervene in a UPS strike? Wait and see who does what and what the other side does to counter it. . Now did the West Coast longshoreman settle on a new contract yet?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Sadly, the only point of disagreement is the number pf paid days off.
That is incorrect.
They have major scheduling issues where workers are essentially on call indefinitely.
And as we talked about.
Um, no you were not talking about it, you incorrectly said it was only about sick days.
Will congress intervene in a UPS strike? Wait and see who does what and what the other side does to counter it. . Now did the West Coast longshoreman settle on a new contract yet?
So many deflections.