Mall Route

Zowert

Prerecord each stop on your cart when you’re making multiple drops. Everything on your hand truck or cart should be scanned before you start walking. Then you simply dump them off, no fumbling around with pieces to scan them at each stop. Customers should never even see your DIAD if you do it right.

Another prerecord trick is to scan your biggest bulk stop in the morning before you leave center. So when you get to the loading dock you’re not wasting time scanning, just dropping them off. This may not always be possible tho, especially if the load quality is crap.

Try to get as much ground off with your air as possible. Line your air/ground combo all up in the morning so each stop is ready to go.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Prerecord each stop on your cart when you’re making multiple drops. Everything on your hand truck or cart should be scanned before you start walking. Then you simply dump them off, no fumbling around with pieces to scan them at each stop. Customers should never even see your DIAD if you do it right.

Another prerecord trick is to scan your biggest bulk stop in the morning before you leave center. So when you get to the loading dock you’re not wasting time scanning, just dropping them off. This may not always be possible tho, especially if the load quality is crap.
Doesn’t sound like the methods to me

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
For the last time dude, I’m not learning your route
-Netsua 3:16 to the mall route guy earlier in the year
“But you know basically every other route but mine”
That’s correct. ON PURPOSE.
Waaaaaay, way too much work man

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Our mall route is done by a feeder. Same over allowed problem. Just shrug your shoulders. The only way to make the numbers is to pick up totes full of envelopes. If you don't do that, there is nothing you can do. Mall drivers have been harassed forever, file a grievance for harassment every time that it happens. Also, be sure to ask for some 8 hour days. They will get the message when they either have to send someone to help you or you bring packages back.
We got two mall routes that are feeder TDP. Nothing funnier than a delivery center manager trying to talk to a feeder driver about being over allowed.

GenericUsername

Most malls have interior hallways that you can cut through. Learn the layouts of them in your mall (if applicable) to save yourself time. Look at your park positions to see if you're using them to the best of your ability. If you can work your mall in sections with minimal time moving your car, you'll save time. The mall route that I'm familiar with can be delivered in 5ish hours from one circle around the outside then delivering from one park position. If I move the car to two other park positions, I can deliver the whole thing in 3 hours, take my meal, then casually walk and do my pickups then.

Also, food for thought here, Dillards generally has the nicest bathroom and is typically a ton cleaner than the rest of the bathrooms in the mall. Macys in a close second.

clean hairy

Pro Mall Guys use the tabs on the handtruck to hook on the back of the convertible cart. Nothing like all the lady mall walkers check-in you out as your haulin doubles packed with shoes.
Waiting to see the news story
"UPS Driver stormed at Mall. Women stole all shoes on the hand truck!"

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
That’s why it’s important to take every minute of lunch in the middle of the day and to make pickups on schedule. Those two things, combined with the 9.5 make it very difficult for them to add more work.
I'm a steward and I have the hardest time convincing drivers to take lunch in the middle of the day like a human. Most are terrified of the dark. Sad to see a 30 yr driver taking lunch in the restroom at 7pm but I can't grow them any balls.

barnyard

KTM rider
We got two mall routes that are feeder TDP. Nothing funnier than a delivery center manager trying to talk to a feeder driver about being over allowed.
I cover ours every now and then. It is also a TDF. The 1st stop is a dock stop (140-300 pieces,) when finished, parallel park at the door and deliver everything from that spot (another 100-300 pieces.) I prerecord everything on the cart and I always try to put more than 1 stop on a cart. Our mall stops all complain if they are stop completed for PU before 4p. I pick up when I deliver and then clean up at the normal PU time. I also do not pull 2 carts through the mall, but do load up 2 and hide one in one of the hallways, deliver the other cart, then grab the hallway cart and deliver that. Our trailer is loaded so poorly that it is very difficult to deliver NDA with ground.

WorknLateHuh

If you don't care about their production numbers why are trying to learn mall hacks and gain time allowances? The drivers that consistently stay off their radar are the drivers that let mngmt's opinion of them or their numbers matter. So, you will always be on their radar to some degree if you truly don't care.

in short, as long as you're following the methods and not dragging your feet none of the other shop drama matters.

Last edited:

ironclad

If you don't care about their production numbers why are trying to learn mall hacks and gain time allowances? The drivers that consistently stay off their radar are the drivers that let mngmt's opinion of them or their numbers matter.

in short, as long as you're following the methods and not dragging your feet none of the other shop drama matters.
I agree, the work smarter not harder got me thinking that there would be someone with more knowledge from doing mall routes that I could learn and thank you to all who have responded have learned from. The numbers are never meant to be used in the drivers favor, I get it. But simply sheeting things differently as in office, dock, inside delivery or scan locations could improve your efficiency with out truly changing your already safe work methods I.e. running/working through your break. We have young inexperienced management that don’t know a whole lot, and I like to know how there bs time study works and try to use there own numbers against them. No matter how head strong one is, being physically tired at the end of your day knowing you worked hard just to report to work in the morning and get an earful about over allowed gets mentally draining while the guy next to you drives 250 miles, 50 stops and bull :censored2:s with every customer runs under allowed or scratch ... all in all it’s an uphill battle and the true joke is on myself thinking I may be able to beat them at there own game.

542thruNthru

I agree, the work smarter not harder got me thinking that there would be someone with more knowledge from doing mall routes that I could learn and thank you to all who have responded have learned from. The numbers are never meant to be used in the drivers favor, I get it. But simply sheeting things differently as in office, dock, inside delivery or scan locations could improve your efficiency with out truly changing your already safe work methods I.e. running/working through your break. We have young inexperienced management that don’t know a whole lot, and I like to know how there bs time study works and try to use there own numbers against them. No matter how head strong one is, being physically tired at the end of your day knowing you worked hard just to report to work in the morning and get an earful about over allowed gets mentally draining while the guy next to you drives 250 miles, 50 stops and bull *s with every customer runs under allowed or scratch ... all in all it’s an uphill battle and the true joke is on myself thinking I may be able to beat them at there own game.
So pretty much what you want to do is make your numbers look better by manipulating them through the DIAD. You must be a young new driver. Anything dishonest you do now to make your numbers better will only hurt you later. The company will take those numbers and change your route making it even more difficult to meet expectations in the future.

You do realize that the company always assumes you are following every method in the book. Your management team may know better but that doesn't matter. They're being told you need to hit "X" numbers and will do their best to make you do it.

Do the job right and stop trying to hit unreasonable production goals.

ironclad

So pretty much what you want to do is make your numbers look better by manipulating them through the DIAD. You must be a young new driver. Anything dishonest you do now to make your numbers better will only hurt you later. The company will take those numbers and change your route making it even more difficult to meet expectations in the future.

You do realize that the company always assumes you are following every method in the book. Your management team may know better but that doesn't matter. They're being told you need to hit "X" numbers and will do their best to make you do it.

Do the job right and stop trying to hit unreasonable production goals.
Young yes. new, not so much. I guess I’m beating around the bush and not being direct. What my biggest question is, am I sheeting stops correctly as I usually use office after signature, is that correct if not using a dock? Is optical and pharmacy the only ones that use inside delivery ? Or is that something I should be using for “inside” mall deliveries? I’ve been with the company since 2011 and my old route was a Franken-Route so it was garbage and was run differently everyday. The nice aspect of this route is its very consistent with business and resis after. In short I’m not trying to falsify info I’m just wondering if I’m sheeting correctly. I like the prerecord method mentioned, I’ve never used prerecord because I was told to scan as close to the stop complete mark as possible because “gps measured distance from truck to determine time allowance to walk back”. I’m just trying to do the job as close to perfect as possible by sheeting and stop completing correctly.
* side note I’ve followed in the shadows for years on brown cafe, and would like to thank you @542thruNthru for the advice given to others that I’ve learned from you and also your sense of humor lol you always give me a good laugh!

Last edited:

Grey

Getting my bulk off is pretty clean (except for Monday’s when you have a split). The pickups are tricky at times when you have to start packing it in at the bulkhead. I’m empty by 2 and packed by 6.

ironclad

Getting my bulk off is pretty clean (except for Monday’s when you have a split). The pickups are tricky at times when you have to start packing it in at the bulkhead. I’m empty by 2 and packed by 6.
Out of curiosity what does a normal day look like for you? My route is typically 40-60 business, 100 resis = 320-400 pkgs. 25 pickups averaging 300-1000 pieces. ~30 miles

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Young yes. new, not so much. I guess I’m beating around the bush and not being direct. What my biggest question is, am I sheeting stops correctly as I usually use office after signature, is that correct if not using a dock? Is optical and pharmacy the only ones that use inside delivery ? Or is that something I should be using for “inside” mall deliveries? I’ve been with the company since 2011 and my old route was a Franken-Route so it was garbage and was run differently everyday. The nice aspect of this route is its very consistent with business and resis after. In short I’m not trying to falsify info I’m just wondering if I’m sheeting correctly. I like the prerecord method mentioned, I’ve never used prerecord because I was told to scan as close to the stop complete mark as possible because “gps measured distance from truck to determine time allowance to walk back”. I’m just trying to do the job as close to perfect as possible by sheeting and stop completing correctly.
* side note I’ve followed in the shadows for years on brown cafe, and would like to thank you @542thruNthru for the advice given to others that I’ve learned from you and also your sense of humor lol you always give me a good laugh!

Like I said before, where you scan and stop complete don't change anything. Those numbers have all been preset. The only things you can do with the diad to get a slightly higher time allowance is put in a floor number if you are delivering anywhere other than the first floor, and getting a signature. They have cut down on signatures for businesses by using CIR, so there's really not much you can do. Inside delivery is for multiple delivery points within a single business. Businesses within a mall are separate, usually with their own suite numbers. Which delivery location you use will not add time, they are only meant to help track down packages that might go missing.