Mall Route

ironclad

Like I said before, where you scan and stop complete don't change anything. Those numbers have all been preset. The only things you can do with the diad to get a slightly higher time allowance is put in a floor number if you are delivering anywhere other than the first floor, and getting a signature. They have cut down on signatures for businesses by using CIR, so there's really not much you can do. Inside delivery is for multiple delivery points within a single business. Businesses within a mall are separate, usually with their own suite numbers. Which delivery location you use will not add time, they are only meant to help track down packages that might go missing.
Thank you! I’ve learned more from this post than any on road has ever been able to explain to me.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Thank you! I’ve learned more from this post than any on road has ever been able to explain to me.

That doesn't surprise me. They probably don't know. I get the feeling that everyone who understood the numbers in depth at all is gone. The people left only maintain a system they neither have the ability nor the imagination to understand.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I'm a steward and I have the hardest time convincing drivers to take lunch in the middle of the day like a human. Most are terrified of the dark. Sad to see a 30 yr driver taking lunch in the restroom at 7pm but I can't grow them any balls.
One of my stewards takes his lunch inside the building after he finishes his route...

WorknLateHuh

Young yes. new, not so much. I guess I’m beating around the bush and not being direct. What my biggest question is, am I sheeting stops correctly as I usually use office after signature, is that correct if not using a dock? Is optical and pharmacy the only ones that use inside delivery ? Or is that something I should be using for “inside” mall deliveries? I’ve been with the company since 2011 and my old route was a Franken-Route so it was garbage and was run differently everyday. The nice aspect of this route is its very consistent with business and resis after. In short I’m not trying to falsify info I’m just wondering if I’m sheeting correctly. I like the prerecord method mentioned, I’ve never used prerecord because I was told to scan as close to the stop complete mark as possible because “gps measured distance from truck to determine time allowance to walk back”. I’m just trying to do the job as close to perfect as possible by sheeting and stop completing correctly.
* side note I’ve followed in the shadows for years on brown cafe, and would like to thank you @542thruNthru for the advice given to others that I’ve learned from you and also your sense of humor lol you always give me a good laugh!
the time allowance gained for using“inside delivery, dock, and front desk” or when, where, and how you scan are negligable. Dont waste your time trying to gain a few minutes in this way, because like everyone has said mngt will just give you more work to fill the time slot that you just opened up by a few minutes. And now that workload will be your new standard. Its a cycle that mgt desperately wants you to fall into

Mngt loves to see you get worked up over them qestioning you about over aloud because then they know you care about looking good on paper... hook, line, and sinker.

im not saying “dont be productive and quick” because i take pride in my job by finding ways to optimize my productivity, but dont fall into the trap of thinking if you optimize your route mngt will stay off your back. They will stay off your back when they realize YOU dont give a **** about them pushing for better numbers

Last edited:

evilleace

Out of curiosity what does a normal day look like for you? My route is typically 40-60 business, 100 resis = 320-400 pkgs. 25 pickups averaging 300-1000 pieces. ~30 miles
Thats a lot of resi for a mall route. Thats how many I go out with at peak. Your other numbers look like mine except I have over 40 pickups.

GenericUsername

Okay, seeing more about the route in question kinda blows my mind. We deliver our malls out of Big Berthas in our center. They don't do anything else besides the mall. They go out with 40-60 stops/400 pieces every single day and come back with around 1k.

Seeing that you have additional stops after the mall route makes me hope that they have all of your mall stops in the back of your truck and the resis at the front of your truck... If you're having issues finishing your resis then it's time to slow it down a bunch and get some of that work taken off of you.

oldngray

nowhere special
Okay, seeing more about the route in question kinda blows my mind. We deliver our malls out of Big Berthas in our center. They don't do anything else besides the mall. They go out with 40-60 stops/400 pieces every single day and come back with around 1k.

Seeing that you have additional stops after the mall route makes me hope that they have all of your mall stops in the back of your truck and the resis at the front of your truck... If you're having issues finishing your resis then it's time to slow it down a bunch and get some of that work taken off of you.
One of our mall routes delivered out of a big van then had to go back to the building to get a smaller truck loaded with more stops. Smaller truck was good and you didn't have to work around those stops all day but bad in that any garbage left in the building would get tossed on that truck. Sometimes for you to deliver but other times just to take for a ride to get them out of the building.

GenericUsername

One of our mall routes delivered out of a big van then had to go back to the building to get a smaller truck loaded with more stops. Smaller truck was good and you didn't have to work around those stops all day but bad in that any garbage left in the building would get tossed on that truck. Sometimes for you to deliver but other times just to take for a ride to get them out of the building.
Why didn't the driver just close it up and take the extra keys with him to prevent that from happening? Prior to using the Bertha, one of our malls went out with 2 1200s until one of the drivers (totally not me.....promise) completely demolished the 30 year old transmission to the best of their ability. Both sets of keys were taken and everything was closed up prior to the first truck's departure.

oldngray

nowhere special
Why didn't the driver just close it up and take the extra keys with him to prevent that from happening? Prior to using the Bertha, one of our malls went out with 2 1200s until one of the drivers (totally not me.....promise) completely demolished the 30 year old transmission to the best of their ability. Both sets of keys were taken and everything was closed up prior to the first truck's departure.
Work as directed. And the shop always has keys anyway.

Have only delivered 4 malls. At my last mall, I was told to take a stop for each trip to the same business. Make the additional trips duplicates stops of course.

oldngray

nowhere special
Have only delivered 4 malls. At my last mall, I was told to take a stop for each trip to the same business. Make the additional trips duplicates stops of course.
Numbers on mall routes are totally bogus. Lack of miles kills the allowances. Management might try to hassle you periodically but just nod your head then ignore them.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Out of curiosity what does a normal day look like for you? My route is typically 40-60 business, 100 resis = 320-400 pkgs. 25 pickups averaging 300-1000 pieces. ~30 miles

You need to stop worrying about everybody eleses number they make no difference

You don’t have to be the best
Just don’t be the least best

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
We have an outlet center on our route in a 1200. Driver is a 25 year vet who literally doesn't give two :censored2:s about what management says because no one else wants to do it. I asked him once why he keeps doing it. He said, and I quote, "the food and the Victoria's Secret." Even at peak he only has about 25 residential stops tacked on at the end.

Grey

They keep me around 70 stops. The only resi is some apts on the outskirts.

Its a funky mall where one stop could fill its own truck on any given day. I have a lot of overflow.

quad decade guy

WRONG!! You keep it and make them work around your style. Keep solid work methods and let them worry about it. You'd be jumping to different routes all the time having the same issue.
WRONG! Oh? Find a route that you don't have to worry about any of that nonsense( yes, being in a constant threat is stressful). I stayed on my route for 14 years because I could do it in my sleep. Good, steady work and great exercise. 50 hours per week. 14 years. Generally stayed out of the office unless mgt. changed....they left I stayed. Pick your battles carefully and ones you have a chance of winning. Good advice for a long and prosperous career. If you are listening.....