Mall Route

ironclad

Hey all, I recently bid and won a mall route. First off I’ll like to say I could care less about there production numbers. I work at a steady pace everyday and still come in 1.5-2.5 hours over allowed. I’d like to stay off the target list of over allowed drivers because I feel I do an adequate job on my route. No I will not run for them or work through my lunch but does anybody have any mall hacks? If my pickup volume is low it seems to ramp up my over allowed (25 pickup accounts). I have two dock delivery anchor stores but the rest are inside through the front entrance deliveries or outside back door deliveries. Biggest question is how do you sheet your stores, as in front desk, office, inside delivery? Also which gives you the best allowance?
thank you

Last edited:

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Tell them you need help for like 2 hours. Pre record is your friend. Tell as many stores as you can that you are only going to do their pick up once. And that is when you drop their delivery off or when you are walking past the store. Enjoy your lunch at the many food options lol.

ironclad

Tell them you need help for like 2 hours. Pre record is your friend. Tell as many stores as you can that you are only going to do their pick up once. And that is when you drop their delivery off or when you are walking past the store. Enjoy your lunch at the many food options lol.
Definitely taken advantage of the food court! In your opinion what’s the best way to use pre record? If that makes sense lol what I mean is are you scanning stops as you are loading your cart? Also does that affect the distance you are from your truck or does it count when stop completed? I heard that all factors into time allotted for a stop.

rod

Retired 22 years
Exactly, I use just one cart. I’d like to retire with functioning shoulders!
I hated our local mall for the little time I had it. Most of it was delivering to back doors or loading docks. Fun stuff when its 20 below.

rustys954rr

Oh man they hated me doing the mall route. Everyone else pushed a cart and pulled a cart.

Nope not me. Pulling the cart is a big no no.
Pro Mall Guys use the tabs on the handtruck to hook on the back of the convertible cart. Nothing like all the lady mall walkers check-in you out as your haulin doubles packed with shoes.

542thruNthru

Oh man they hated me doing the mall route. Everyone else pushed a cart and pulled a cart.

Nope not me. Pulling the cart is a big no no.
Exactly!!

They ride mall driver's like crazy because it's nearly impossible to have decent numbers. You get no miles and so much bulk. Not to mention jerk customers and mostly back door deliveries that are already full of crap you have to work around.

We had a guy that was around 4 hours in the hole every day. They would harrass him constantly.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Definitely taken advantage of the food court! In your opinion what’s the best way to use pre record? If that makes sense lol what I mean is are you scanning stops as you are loading your cart? Also does that affect the distance you are from your truck or does it count when stop completed? I heard that all factors into time allotted for a stop.

Time allowances for distances are preset from their fake time studies. It doesn't matter where you scan or stop complete as far as getting time allowance. But if it takes too long from when you shut off your car to when you scan a package, or from when you stop complete to when you start the car again, they might ask you to explain.

Bulk commercial stops are just straight up losers for time. We don't get nearly the time allowance for pieces we should. And the time studies for multi-stop addresses are a complete joke. They seem to think all commercial buildings have docks you can back up to and just dump everything.

Having said all that, you just have to stop caring about their fake numbers. Do the job as close to the methods as you can, take your lunch and breaks when you should, get on the 9.5. I understand wanting to fly below the radar, but if you stay strong, they will eventually give up and move on. Driving yourself crazy trying to figure out time allowance won't help anything.

xkingx

Here Mall routes are sorted out of a trailer by the feeder driver to the combo workers. Who load them up on a cart and delivery to the stores.

quad decade guy

Time allowances for distances are preset from their fake time studies. It doesn't matter where you scan or stop complete as far as getting time allowance. But if it takes too long from when you shut off your car to when you scan a package, or from when you stop complete to when you start the car again, they might ask you to explain.

Bulk commercial stops are just straight up losers for time. We don't get nearly the time allowance for pieces we should. And the time studies for multi-stop addresses are a complete joke. They seem to think all commercial buildings have docks you can back up to and just dump everything.

Having said all that, you just have to stop caring about their fake numbers. Do the job as close to the methods as you can, take your lunch and breaks when you should, get on the 9.5. I understand wanting to fly below the radar, but if you stay strong, they will eventually give up and move on. Driving yourself crazy trying to figure out time allowance won't help anything.

Fantastic reply. What I would do......GET ANOTHER ROUTE.

Overpaid Union Thug

Hey all, I recently bid and won a mall route. First off I’ll like to say I could care less about there production numbers. I work at a steady pace everyday and still come in 1.5-2.5 hours over allowed. I’d like to stay off the target list of over allowed drivers because I feel I do an adequate job on my route. No I will not run for them or work through my lunch but does anybody have any mall hacks? If my pickup volume is low it seems to ramp up my over allowed (25 pickup accounts). I have two dock delivery anchor stores but the rest are inside through the front entrance deliveries or outside back door deliveries. Biggest question is how do you sheet your stores, as in front desk, office, inside delivery? Also which gives you the best allowance?
thank you
The best tip/hack for ANY route is to not not give one flying friend* about their numbers. The malls don’t plan anyway. Never will.

The best things you can do in a mall is take your full hour lunch in the middle of the day and try your best to stick to the pickups windows in the afternoons. Those apply to any heavy commercial route. And never stack a cart high enough you can’t see over it.

Malls use to be awesome but the Rona and getting undercut by FedEx have destroyed them. And allot of mall shippers have diverted volume to the USPS. Pickup volume was always the bread and butter for us.

oldngray

nowhere special
Most drivers love mall routes. Only bad when they start piling a lot of extra crap for you to deliver after you finish your normal route. Delivering strange area in the dark from a P1200 sucks.

Overpaid Union Thug

Most drivers love mall routes. Only bad when they start piling a lot of extra crap for you to deliver after you finish your normal route. Delivering strange area in the dark from a P1200 sucks.
That’s why it’s important to take every minute of lunch in the middle of the day and to make pickups on schedule. Those two things, combined with the 9.5 make it very difficult for them to add more work.

barnyard

KTM rider
Our mall route is done by a feeder. Same over allowed problem. Just shrug your shoulders. The only way to make the numbers is to pick up totes full of envelopes. If you don't do that, there is nothing you can do. Mall drivers have been harassed forever, file a grievance for harassment every time that it happens. Also, be sure to ask for some 8 hour days. They will get the message when they either have to send someone to help you or you bring packages back.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Exactly!!

They ride mall driver's like crazy because it's nearly impossible to have decent numbers. You get no miles and so much bulk. Not to mention jerk customers and mostly back door deliveries that are already full of crap you have to work around.

We had a guy that was around 4 hours in the hole every day. They would harrass him constantly.
Wow, do they harass him when he’s not following Orion? That’s ridiculous.