Mandatory not so mandatory?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
So I guess after everything that has been said. What are you looking for @shalang?

Are you looking for a definitive answer that tells you one way or the other because I can tell you right now it doesn't exist.

Please don't take what I say the wrong way. I'm not trying to be a A hole.
What about 22.4 B?
8. In the event the Company needs additional staffing to cover Saturday or Sunday ground deliveries, such work shall first be offered to RPCDs as set forth above, then to Article 22.4 combination drivers on their scheduled off day, then to part-time utility/cover/casual employees as permitted in the Supplement, Rider or Addendum. If sufficient volunteers are not obtained, the Company may force in reverse order in accordance with the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

542thruNthru

Oh no, I dont. Even if it came off that way, no need to get heated. I take things light hearted.

Just wanted to see peoples opinions on the matter. Yours seems to be one of looking at it from both sides, which I personally do. Unfortunately though when a BA tells you one thing and then another BA tells you different, puts you in a bind when it comes to the bargaining unit employees.

That also leads to whether the grievances will be fought for or disregarded unfortunately. I'm pretty surebm you're well aware of this. In fact, I've had to argue with the BAs because of that

You have multiple BAs for the same UPS job position telling you different things.

I'm curious what local you are. If you don't want to post here you can PM me if your like. If you'd rather not say that cool too.

542thruNthru

What about 22.4 B?

I'll answer what I think you're asking but i may not understand what you mean. I'm laying by the pool drinking. :)

Yes 22.4s are supposed to be T-S but again this doesn't mean you can't be forced to a 6th punch.

Let's say that the 25% has been reached what then? Allow the company to just hire 22.4s at will?

Definitely file a grievance for 22.4s and make them add RPCDs 3 to 1.

shalang

I'll answer what I think you're asking but i may not understand what you mean. I'm laying by the pool drinking. :)

Yes 22.4s are supposed to be T-S but again this doesn't mean you can't be forced to a 6th punch.

Let's say that the 25% has been reached what then? Allow the company to just hire 22.4s at will?

This is what someone told me regarding how the company/union may proceed with mandatory work days for the sort. Also, the Thanksgiving skeleton crew that we are all aware of.

Last edited:

shalang

You have multiple BAs for the same UPS job position telling you different things.

I'm curious what local you are. If you don't want to post here you can PM me if your like. If you'd rather not say that cool too.

It's not necessarily their fault but a lot of BAs are unaware of even contracts that were signed with a local or specific region NOT in the contract. For example, LOAs. Unfortunately instead of saying "let me look into it" you get a half-assed answer which usually favors the company.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

Well, it talks about extra work needs to be done on Saturday/Sunday, it says volunteer from top, and force from bottom.
I just thought that might be applicable here.

542thruNthru

Well, it talks about extra work needs to be done on Saturday/Sunday, it says volunteer from top, and force from bottom.
I just thought that might be applicable here.

It absolutely is and thats a easy grievance.

The issue is that usually the company says they need everyone. Right now (depending on the area) they are going by seniority. Plus we have no seasonal helpers, PVDs and positions like that. So it comes to RPCDs quicker.

Also he's not a driver he's a sorter I believe and doesn't fall under the 32.4 language.

deeztier

What about 22.4 B?

if in accordance to my S/R/A, then wouldn't they have to notify me by the prior Friday - when start times should be posted? show up at 10PM ready to work :batman2:

Southwest package rider
Section 10 Subsection 2 (C)
(c) Start times shall be posted on the prior Friday of the week for
which the starting times shall be effective. Employees who are
ordered to report for work prior to said scheduled starting times
shall receive time and one-half (1 ½) for all hours worked prior to
their regular starting time. Employees who are ordered to report
for work later than their scheduled starting time shall receive time
and one-half (1 ½) for the number of hours equal to the number of
hours called into work after their scheduled start time. If the Em-
ployer fails to post start times, employees shall not be disciplined
for tardiness.

542thruNthru

if in accordance to my S/R/A, then wouldn't they have to notify me by the prior Friday - when start times should be posted? show up at 10PM ready to work :batman2:

Southwest package rider
Section 10 Subsection 2 (C)

No.

And I'll show you why.
Screenshot_20200523-190805_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Per this language you're being ordered to show up. But because its a 6th day its 1.5 your hourly rate anyways.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
If people get written up here for that garbage the next week they just come in on time, punch in, 5 min later get sick, notify a supe that they're too sick to work and then they punch out and leave.
No attendance infraction.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Good question and as 542 said there is really no specific language that says that “you can’t be forced in” but with that said there’s also supporting language that would imply that they can.

Here’s the issue with this topic and some would think that it’s vagueness is intentional. Only thing that is clear in regards to “forced in” is that you cannot be forced in unless you have at minimum 8 hours available to fulfill your guarantee.

542thruNthru

Good question and as 542 said there is really no specific language that says that “you can’t be forced in” but with that said there’s also supporting language that would imply that they can.

Here’s the issue with this topic and some would think that it’s vagueness is intentional. Only thing that is clear in regards to “forced in” is that you cannot be forced in unless you have at minimum 8 hours available to fulfill your guarantee.

I think i know where you are getting this but I believe you're taking the wrong language from the contract