Mandatory not so mandatory?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I think i know where you are getting this but I believe you're taking the wrong language from the contract
It’s not so much the location in the contract as much as the language. I’m a steward and this Saturday issue has been the hot topic the last month.

We’ve scoured the contract both local and national and there is no definitive language stating with certainty one or the other.

Outside of the contract covering the format for forcing labor in from bottom up there is no definitive obligation for a 6th punch mentioned. In contrast it does state our schedule is five consecutive days. It also states clearly that no driver can be forced in on any day if he can’t fulfill his 8hr day. He can voluntarily work his available hours and be paid the balance of his 8hour day by the company.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Just as long as they follow seniority, it falls under the operational needs of the company. They paid you didn't they? Sorry, but I have heard line that many times.
I too personally side on this issue with you as well, problem is that there’s no specific language stating it. So older guys like us look at it as paying your dues but unfortunately the language doesn’t say that specifically.

542thruNthru

It’s not so much the location in the contract as much as the language. I’m a steward and this Saturday issue has been the hot topic the last month.

We’ve scoured the contract both local and national and there is no definitive language stating with certainty one or the other.

Outside of the contract covering the format for forcing labor in from bottom up there is no definitive obligation for a 6th punch mentioned. In contrast it does state our schedule is five consecutive days. It also states clearly that no driver can be forced in on any day if he can’t fulfill his 8hr day. He can voluntarily work his available hours and be paid the balance of his 8hour day by the company.

This must be a norcal supplemental thing. Because the only "at least 8 hour" language I can think of is the 70 hour language in Article 26.5

shalang

Help me out. Post language that justifies your reasoning. Because any argument needs a rebuttal

I dont agree nor see it as concrete. Was jist saying that the company could use that language to say that it can apply to the sort ad well as that is definitive regarding a mandatory 6th day. I've seen management try and pull that one before as long as the membership doesnt question it.

shalang

I would say call in, if they discipline your argument is I signed a bid for a job for 5 days a week not 6.

That is my personal opinion on the issue but was shot down. However, calling in was the advice from both stewards and BAs. Just call in and if it gets to a grievance than the union will fight it.

Pretty much has been an ambiguous answer which many employees remained confused over. But makes sense since as 542 says theres no clear language on it. Based on the 9.5 thread I just read, seems the Union likes unclear language so as to be able to interpret things their way.

Superteeth2478

The situation as far as the preload over in my hub goes like this (I'm sure it's similar in other hubs as far as preload operations go). The attendance here is crappy. The people that miss all the time will miss Saturday (and Sunday, when it's implemented) regardless of whether or not they're told it's "mandatory". Sometimes they ask me if management can do anything about it. I wonder in the back of my mind why they even bother asking that when they don't come in half the time anyways.

But then sometimes people with good attendance will ask me the same thing as far as 6th and 7th punches being mandatory. I tell both groups the exact same thing: Saturday (and eventually Sunday) are as "mandatory" as any other workday (which is to say, not at all). Management here kind of dug their own grave as far as attendance goes. Certain members of management make "deals" with hourlies as far as attendance and things like leaving early every day. People can see that they get away with crap attendance so they keep doing it. Discipline is rare enough as it is, even in cases where anyone would agree it's warranted, and then I don't settle discipline grievances because I've straight up told management that they can count on discipline grievances being settled and people actually seeing consequences for their attendance...once they've worked through the backlog of 1,000 plus supervisors working grievances/pay shortage penalty grievances from the middle of 2019 onwards.

If those :censored2:nuts didn't let those pay grievances pile up with all kinds of excuses as to why they couldn't hear any for so long then they wouldn't be in this situation with attendance in the first place. As it is people get disciplined, they file a grievance, and then those grievances sit for so long for a settlement that 9 months pass and the discipline falls off their record anyways. Management can't expect that the union is going to want to just settle discipline grievances all day and let pay grievances pile up while they continue to violate the contract as far as paying people correctly and supervisors working.

The stupidest part is that they'll try to scare the people with good attendance into forcing themselves to come in on Saturday to avoid the potential for discipline, and not even bother trying to correct the attendance of the attendance problems. It's all really backwards.

UPS will do whatever they want, contract or no contract.

Nailed it! UPS is currently making it mandatory for PTers to work 9 hour days, and a 6th day punch. They’re also giving PTers, two, ten minute breaks on a 9 hour shift. No meal break. The PTers are working FT hours, receiving $14.00 an hour, no hazard pay. And ALL PTers signed up for part time hours. The stewards don’t care or nothing has been changed. Since when can weeks in late May be mandatory? I get from Tday to Xmas, but that the Union is allowing $14.00 an hour employees to be abused is disgusting. UPS does do what they want, contract or no contract.

ManInBrown

They can not force you to 6 punch, let alone 7 punch. I don’t understand why drivers fall for this.
They do it because even if they get one scaredy cat to show up it’s one more driver then they would have had. Everybody knows the scaredy cats. The ones that show up at 7:45 when the start time is 8:50 and they pace back in forth in front of the computer screens watching the stops pile up on their route. Those drivers. Lolol

Nailed it! UPS is currently making it mandatory for PTers to work 9 hour days, and a 6th day punch. They’re also giving PTers, two, ten minute breaks on a 9 hour shift. No meal break. The PTers are working FT hours, receiving $14.00 an hour, no hazard pay. And ALL PTers signed up for part time hours. The stewards don’t care or nothing has been changed. Since when can weeks in late May be mandatory? I get from Tday to Xmas, but that the Union is allowing $14.00 an hour employees to be abused is disgusting. UPS does do what they want, contract or no contract.

Remember this PTers your union FT brothers have no answers or respect for you. They think at $14.00 you should be thrilled. Maybe it’s time the PTers all unite and request out of the Union? That way there PTers arent paying union dues for a union who clearly does nothing for them.

542thruNthru

Remember this PTers your union FT brothers have no answers or respect for you. They think at $14.00 you should be thrilled. Maybe it’s time the PTers all unite and request out of the Union? That way there PTers arent paying union dues for a union who clearly does nothing for them.

Please please please make this happen. If you do you have my vote for president of the Teamsters!!! Lol

Please please please make this happen. If you do you have my vote for president of the Teamsters!!! Lol

If it happens it will be the end of the Teamsters, as the largest percentage of union due payments come from PT. Keep reading folks, you’ll notice your union brethren has answered no questions. They don’t have answers which is a true indicator of how little power the Union has. UPS walks all over the Teamsters. It’s embarrassing to pay dues, and watch the union fail again, and again, and again.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If it happens it will be the end of the Teamsters

Hardly.

UPS members, only make up 1/5th of the Teamster membership.

UPS walks all over the Teamsters.

No.

UPS walks over the members that let it happen.

It’s embarrassing to pay dues, and watch the union fail again, and again, and again.

There is an entrance.... and an exit.

Nobody is forced to work there.

-Bug-

*How long have you worked at UPS ?*

Hardly.

UPS members, only make up 1/5th of the Teamster membership.

No.

UPS walks over the members that let it happen.

There is an entrance.... and an exit.

Nobody is forced to work there.

-Bug-

*How long have you worked at UPS ?*

Spoke like a true manager. Your BUG is a trolling thing. You’re not in the union. No union brother tells a member to quit. No one is forced to work there. That includes all you drivers who have been complaining on this forum for years, that includes you, you union fraud!

JJF