Manual transmission?

MIX_MASTER_ICE

Cold As Ice, Willing To Sacrifice
UPS no longer gets manual shift package cars and haven't for quite a few years. Back when I started probably close to half were manual transmission. We have zero of them now. If I remember correctly, driving school required new drivers to use manual transmission package cars if their center had even one of them.

HFolb23

drove a manual for the first two years of my career.
I didn’t mind them and still catch myself today on occasion reaching for a clutch when pulling up to a stop.

I do the same thing when I go from a 10 speed tractor to an automatic, I’ve even gone so far to bounce the throttle while fumbling around for that non-existent third pedal as I’m starting to slow down

CHEMA-DELMA

I wouldn’t worry about it. Also, you may change your mind about wanting to work at UPS after you get a taste of it. Many are called but few are chosen.
When I started only 1 out of 4 made it as a driver, if they did not like you and you needed a shave they sent you home for the day. The nicer managers had a shaving kit handy just in case. I drove 10 years then took the tie, I in fact did make it to the Corporate office and did retire from there. We would get sent to help local buildings, PLEGA, ATLGA, FPAGA, ROSGA but the would have to check the requirements if you could drive a stick or not! Most people could not.

specter208

UPS no longer gets manual shift package cars and haven't for quite a few years. Back when I started probably close to half were manual transmission. We have zero of them now. If I remember correctly, driving school required new drivers to use manual transmission package cars if their center had even one of them.
No manufacturer offers manual anymore for package cars:(
Only some 24ft vans still offer up to a 6 speed with a Cummins.

Karma...

I grew up on floor and column manual shifters...I did my drivers test on my fathers falcon column shifter. both my children are adept shifting...my former as well...my cars are shifters. it really should be a law that one must be a shifter.......better in the snow and mud. and one can tow/push a shifter car as well as compression (bump) start a shifter car to start it...also manuals are more reliable than automatics....if one drives off the road into the woods/field it easier to get out with a shifter.......one is not a driver unless one is a shifter.....its a matter of pride........and lastly shifters get better gas mileage and cost less than automatics.....I wish automatics were still an expensive option ...thats why manuals are also called standards.....

Zowert

When I started we had a bunch of them. Spent my first peak in an old 5-speed that was essentially 4 because first gear was worthless so you’d start in 2nd. Over the last couple years they have retired all but one of our manual package cars. The only one we have is used for road tests, which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense since our entire fleet is automatic now. I guess they figure if you can drive a manual and pass the road test in that then you’ll be solid in an automatic.

rod

Retired 22 years
258639362_3018781461710017_1449977826378480648_n.jpg

DriverNerd

What surprised me most about the old transmissions was that I could go from my personal vehicle (an H pattern) back and forth with my PC (a dogleg) everyday. When I started I thought that would be tough, but I never had any issues with it.