Membership Is A Luxury I Can No Longer Afford

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
He is talking about forced overtime. He doesn't want to work more then 5

What article of the contract states that ?

Part-timers have a 5 hour guarantee during peak ?

What supplement ?

There have been numerous members, that had other employment while they were part-time.

The company can't stop that. But, it shouldn't interfere with your work assignment at UPS.

There are jobs out there that can accommodate your work schedule at UPS.

Good luck.

The dark side

New people now do all the work I used to do. I now get the bare minimum number of hours. I will be going back to my old job that I used to do before my seniority meant something because now it is worthless. I don't see any reason to pay dues to an organization that didnt bother to protect qthe interests of myself and people like me. IBT gave UPS its wettest dream. They have allowed the company to flood the workplace with cheap labor and no seniority or classification protections.

I have 6 years left till retirement. I will not pay dues to people that sold me out. I am also fairly certain I am not the only one.

I know you shouldn’t have to ask, but you ever think about just getting with your part time supe and asking what can you do to get more hours? I only go off seniority when I’m making cuts around the senior employees who get offended that they don’t asked to go home first. I around down time I ask my older guys if they want to call it quits not because they have seniority but I don’t think it’s cool to make the older folks to stick around to wrap up just to move some heavy ass bulk that the younger guys didn’t want to move.

The dark side

I have to admit I never understood why someone would get a job at UPS and not realize almost the only way up is to drive.

Staying a loader for 15 years when you could have went driving makes no sense to me unless you're here for the benefits and pension.

I don’t think staying a pack handler is a bad choice. I know some people who make top rate doing PSC for 2 shifts full time. Then again I work at big hub as opposed to some place that run only 200k in a whole shift. I guess it varies from place to place

PT Car Washer

I don’t think staying a pack handler is a bad choice. I know some people who make top rate doing PSC for 2 shifts full time. Then again I work at big hub as opposed to some place that run only 200k in a whole shift. I guess it varies from place to place
Only 200k on one sort? What does a large Hub run on a sort?

542thruNthru

True, there are usually exceptions.

Dulce Bombón

I'm Legal Gringo! UPS Latina Heat! Haters ❤ me!
New people now do all the work I used to do. I now get the bare minimum number of hours. I will be going back to my old job that I used to do before my seniority meant something because now it is worthless. I don't see any reason to pay dues to an organization that didnt bother to protect qthe interests of myself and people like me. IBT gave UPS its wettest dream. They have allowed the company to flood the workplace with cheap labor and no seniority or classification protections.

I have 6 years left till retirement. I will not pay dues to people that sold me out. I am also fairly certain I am not the only one.

Union dues=Security. The minute u stop paying problems will start up. "Better be safe than sorry"

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I dont care you are or what your job is. Every employee ought to worry about a flood of cheap workers. You full timers will be screaming next contract that 8 hours isnt enough. Why would they pay regular drivers 50+ in OT 2-3 hours a day when they can pay one 22.4 20 an hour to take 2-3 hours of work per day off 4 drivers?
All these years we could have put extra drivers on at straight time progression pay instead of paying top pay drivers time and a half but yet I still got 50 hours every week. That will never change.

browned out

Union dues=Security. The minute u stop paying problems will start up. "Better be safe than sorry"

You bet the problems will start up. If you are in a corrupt Hoffa supporting local and the Rep can't use your dues to buy top shelf booze, 5 star hotels and 36 holes of golf at premier resorts; that corrupt union official will collude with UPS to get you fired. ...someone like Betty Fischer the secretary treasury for Joint Council 40 (ask her, maybe she has a credible explanation; her email address is [email protected] )

Please explain how this email exchange did not result in Fischer being immediately removed from her position due to retaliation and discrimination. Hoffa & Taylor endorse, condone and order this type of behavior against members.

The worst and most incriminating e-mails came primarily from Betty Rose Fischer, Principal Officer and Secretary-Treasurer of Local 538 AND Secretary-Treasurer of JC40.

In one email, dated Friday June 10th, 2014, Teamster Rep Fischer e-mails Tom McCready, Division Labor Manager at UPS. It was an e-mail that contained a screen shot of a Facebook post that Atkinson wrote after campaigning at Asbury Graphite (Atkinson was running for Principal Officer of Local 538 against Betty Rose Fischer). In the e-mail to Labor Manager McCready, Fischer suggests that McCready should look into whether Atkinson’s time spent at Asbury was while he was on the clock (he in fact had the day off). This was a blatant act of collusion and betrayal by Fischer. How does any Teamster Rep get away with insinuating to UPS Labor Mgmt that a UPSer is being dishonest & stealing time in an attempt to get that employee terminated?

These are the people that are pushing the yes vote. Criminals. Hoffa cronies like Rome A Rome A: Guilty as Charged or Charles B
who sold his members down the river for Superbowl tix, etc. And the criminal stated he didn't know SuperBowl tickets had any value???? WTF?
Teamsters leaders facing probe for accepting gifts

This type of reprehensible collusion between companies and corrupt locals is running rampant. We have some great teamster locals but the National and the criminals who fall in line are a disgrace.

The Hoffa Team has also been found guilty of negotiating concessions in return for gifts or cash. Very similar to what is ongoing at the UAW. This is not what unions are about. Dedicated blue collar heroes died for the union cause. Now; Hoffa has forgot and now these pieces of garbage disrespect for those who died and their sacrifices is unacceptable. The Hoffa Team is next in line for a story like this UAW ongoing scandal: .......
Feds turn focus to UAW presidents: Did they misspend union dues?

This cancer needs to be removed. VOTE NO

The dark side

Only 200k on one sort? What does a large Hub run on a sort?

Monday sort projection was 480k which is moderately high. Wednesday being our slowest day, 410k and today being Friday was 437k. Where I’m from twilight runs less volume then other sorts but from start time to down time we run on less time.

unloady

Part time at UPS is not a real job. Guranteed only 3.5 hours a day at poverty wages for hard labor. Shameful. I start my fulltime job at 9am and they give me :censored2: for having to leave at 8:30. Preload starts at 4:30. They know that being a package handler cannot support a family let alone yourself. Make me full time or stop trying to discipline me for having to make ends meet while i wait 6 years for a driver spot.

iruhnman630

If you cannot afford to lose 2.5 hours of pay per month, you might want to rethink your spending.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

You bet the problems will start up. If you are in a corrupt Hoffa supporting local and the Rep can't use your dues to buy top shelf booze, 5 star hotels and 36 holes of golf at premier resorts; that corrupt union official will collude with UPS to get you fired. ...someone like Betty Fischer the secretary treasury for Joint Council 40 (ask her, maybe she has a credible explanation; her email address is [email protected] )

Please explain how this email exchange did not result in Fischer being immediately removed from her position due to retaliation and discrimination. Hoffa & Taylor endorse, condone and order this type of behavior against members.

The worst and most incriminating e-mails came primarily from Betty Rose Fischer, Principal Officer and Secretary-Treasurer of Local 538 AND Secretary-Treasurer of JC40.

In one email, dated Friday June 10th, 2014, Teamster Rep Fischer e-mails Tom McCready, Division Labor Manager at UPS. It was an e-mail that contained a screen shot of a Facebook post that Atkinson wrote after campaigning at Asbury Graphite (Atkinson was running for Principal Officer of Local 538 against Betty Rose Fischer). In the e-mail to Labor Manager McCready, Fischer suggests that McCready should look into whether Atkinson’s time spent at Asbury was while he was on the clock (he in fact had the day off). This was a blatant act of collusion and betrayal by Fischer. How does any Teamster Rep get away with insinuating to UPS Labor Mgmt that a UPSer is being dishonest & stealing time in an attempt to get that employee terminated?

These are the people that are pushing the yes vote. Criminals. Hoffa cronies like Rome A Rome A: Guilty as Charged or Charles B
who sold his members down the river for Superbowl tix, etc. And the criminal stated he didn't know SuperBowl tickets had any value???? WTF?

This type of reprehensible collusion between companies and corrupt locals is running rampant. We have some great teamster locals but the National and the criminals who fall in line are a disgrace.

The Hoffa Team has also been found guilty of negotiating concessions in return for gifts or cash. Very similar to what is ongoing at the UAW. This is not what unions are about. Dedicated blue collar heroes died for the union cause. Now; Hoffa has forgot and now these pieces of garbage disrespect for those who died and their sacrifices is unacceptable. The Hoffa Team is next in line for a story like this UAW ongoing scandal: .......

More of this Atkinson nonsense ?

Face the facts.

He wasn't smart enough to keep his job at UPS.

His case went in front of a Panel (half Union) and they upheld the discharge.

Even the NLRB has shot him down....

-Bug-

Your map doesn't properly reflect Oregon's minimum wage. It's set for 15$ by 2022 making this *drumroll* a minimum wage job.

Some buildings are getting $15/hr now. Most of the Portland metro area is. I highly doubt Salem and Albany are. But, this is the exception not the rule. We can keep people slightly longer and our building is mostly people's extended family or friends, so we all usually show up and do our job and do it well. But make no mistake, the people who call out and quit all the time are making $4/hr more. "Sad".

Dulce Bombón

I'm Legal Gringo! UPS Latina Heat! Haters ❤ me!

Do I look like a handkerchief? I'm glad you let it out. Perhaps, some Anger Management Therapy. Just saying.

R. Mutt

"You're not my supervisor!"
I heartily disagree with OP but the existence of the sentiment is frightening to me, and I'm worried that it isn't to others.

I don't understand the pervasive argument against the PTer sentiment of "It would be nice if I had the opportunity to become FT by making a living wage while I wait my turn." This specific situation objectively, without question, gets worse with every contract since '97 and there's always a crowd making top rate crying entitled whiners and suck it up when it's likely they never faced the same issues.

Membership being complicit with screwing PTers out of a living wage and the possible divisive power of the 22.4 language is telling.
I'd say that if UPS wanted to divide and conquer/drive a wedge between members to undermine the solidarity and efficacy of the union (read "encourage PT members to scab") they are doing one heckuva job and it's hard to say no one saw it coming.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont care you are or what your job is. Every employee ought to worry about a flood of cheap workers. You full timers will be screaming next contract that 8 hours isnt enough. Why would they pay regular drivers 50+ in OT 2-3 hours a day when they can pay one 22.4 20 an hour to take 2-3 hours of work per day off 4 drivers?
Because that 22.4 is an extra benefit package for the company to pay for, extra pension contributions, an extra car running up miles on the road, etc etc etc.