Memorial Day Thanks

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
What a cretin

First you slam the service or our soldiers, then you have the gall to link to this photo? You are too cowardly to fight, but yet you hide behind those that gave as much as he??????

I know you like to ridicule the efforts of those that fight for a cause, as you do not seem to have one, with the exception to ridicule those with one.

I guess all those stupid people that have volunteered to serve in the little “lie” are so stupid they really don’t see the truth that only you can see? Those little stupid people that we intend to honor by the day set aside for them, both the ones that have given their lives and their bodies for a cause they believed in. Not draftees, volunteers. And many volunteers multiple times over.

I find it so interesting that only you can figure out the truth, sitting at home “draft dodging” while others who you “respect” are out doing something about the truth.

Your comments, and those of the “new worker” on this thread, are enough to bring on nausea.

d
The+Face+of+War.jpg

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Thank you Danny for your post and to all other posts in support of those that have served. The photo that Danny posted is Phoenix police officer Jason Scheckterle. He was injured during a traffic stop. While sitting in his Ford Crown Vic, Jason was rear-ended by a drunk driver. The resulting explosion changed the face of the Phoenix police dep't. Jason has made it his mission to implement safety changes, esp. in patrol cars.

Jason is a testament to the strength that some people have to overcome adversity and certain posters could learn alot from Jason and many others.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm not sure where Dilligaf got that information, but the posted photo is of Marine Corps Sgt. Ty Ziegel. We as a nation owe this man a debt that I doubt we can ever repay for what he has suffered on our behalf. His horrific injuries are the result of a suicide bomber's attack in Iraq. He and his wife (pictured) are now separated.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
We as a nation owe this man a debt that I doubt we can ever repay for what he has suffered on our behalf. His horrific injuries are the result of a suicide bomber's attack in Iraq

And your remark is exactly why I think that daft codger does not deserve to hide behind someone like him.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm not sure where Dilligaf got that information, but the posted photo is of Marine Corps Sgt. Ty Ziegel. We as a nation owe this man a debt that I doubt we can ever repay for what he has suffered on our behalf. His horrific injuries are the result of a suicide bomber's attack in Iraq. He and his wife (pictured) are now separated.
My apologies Jones. I thought the picture was of our police officer. I have looked the picture several times. My mistake. However my point, and everyone elses, still remains the same. Some people need to show some respect for those that serve our country. Be it armed forces, or civil forces they deserve our undying gratitude. They are here to protect us and put their lives on the line to do just that. D

ups1990

As we spend memorial day with family and friends. Its easy to forget why we as Americans pay tribute to the many brave Men and Women who paid the ultimate price for our country. Many times this holiday as well as July 4th, becomes a time where we take the opportunity to take our loved ones to the beach or the park, but we fail to take the opportunity to reflect on the significance the day means.

There are many retirees on my route. I stand in awe as they open the front door wearing a Pearl Harbor survivor hat or a garment that speaks to them taken part in famous WWII battles, like the battle of the Bulge. My mind wonders as to what their frail bodies and shaky hands have once done. Right before leaving, I tell them thank you. Thank you for your service.

Tom Brokaw, calls them the "greatest generation" hard to argue with that. I like to add that whatever generation is fighting a war, those men and women are also part of this greatest generation.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
As we spend memorial day with family and friends. Its easy to forget why we as Americans pay tribute to the many brave Men and Women who paid the ultimate price for our country. Many times this holiday as well as July 4th, becomes a time where we take the opportunity to take our loved ones to the beach or the park, but we fail to take the opportunity to reflect on the significance the day means.

There are many retirees on my route. I stand in awe as they open the front door wearing a Pearl Harbor survivor hat or a garment that speaks to them taken part in famous WWII battles, like the battle of the Bulge. My mind wonders as to what their frail bodies and shaky hands have once done. Right before leaving, I tell them thank you. Thank you for your service.

Tom Brokaw, calls them the "greatest generation" hard to argue with that. I like to add that whatever generation is fighting a war, those men and women are also part of this greatest generation.

AMEN.

I read this after I started my thread of Rememberance.

We all have views. We all have opinions.

Let us just stop and say, "Thank You."

Let us ponder the flags placed on graves of our Soldiers. Those that died in Combat and those that died years after they came home. Those that will die today in service of Our Great Country and those that will pass silently back on the soil of the United States.

Let us ponder the men and women that served Our Great Country and never saw battle. They are heroes, too.

For my coworker, Joe, the simple statement from your lips, "I was in Beriut." Thank you.

UPS Lifer

My father wrote a letter to his dad on May 22nd, 1945 which recapped the push into Germany from France. I have given the letter to my son who is a marine. He is now the keeper of the letter and the memorabilia. I am not sure if my dad realized that he was such a big part of history but now we have a very personalized journey of his combat tour. It helps to ground me on these special holidays.

I shared that letter in an email with family members and a couple of pictures on May 22nd as a reminder of how special a day this is.

God bless our military and those who have given their lives for our country.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
My father wrote a letter to his dad on May 22nd, 1945 which recapped the push into Germany from France. I have given the letter to my son who is a marine. He is now the keeper of the letter and the memorabilia. I am not sure if my dad realized that he was such a big part of history but now we have a very personalized journey of his combat tour. It helps to ground me on these special holidays.

I shared that letter in an email with family members and a couple of pictures on May 22nd as a reminder of how special a day this is.

God bless our military and those who have given their lives for our country.

Beautiful memory to be passed to generations to follow. Beautiful gift you provided your father. Gifts don't always come in boxes with fancy bows.

Check the WWII Registry. Is your father listed? if not...list him. Make it a shared activity with family members.

(The Registry is part of the National Park Service.)

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/

God Bless the United States of America

UPS Lifer

Beautiful memory to be passed to generations to follow. Beautiful gift you provided your father. Gifts don't always come in boxes with fancy bows.

Check the WWII Registry. Is your father listed? if not...list him. Make it a shared activity with family members.

(The Registry is part of the National Park Service.)

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/

God Bless the United States of America

Thanks!
I will check it out!

P

pickup

Coming home from RVN in 1969, I sat by an apparently nice lady. She seemed like a grandmotherly type. After takeoff, she got up and requested a different seat. Sure was a quiet flight.

my father came home from vietnam in 69 also. He told me that to get the reduced airfare that was paid for by the army, he had to wear his uniform. He got some strange reactions from people on that plane: a quiet flight indeed. He never talks much about the actual war. He'll talk about his R and R experiences , the soldiers he became friends with, etc, but never the fighting.
I am not good with batallion numbers etc but apparently he served in one that was associated with the "babykillings" a year or two before he entered the army. Even though that group was supposedly cleaned out , I think a genetic memory remained in his unit. He once said to me "I did some things I am not proud of" : A statement that I heard said by many others in that war who would not elaborate, fearful that they said too much already just by that one comment.

So tomorrow, on the day many remember to forget (you'll get the reference Pretzel man): Memorial day. I salute all those who fought , who sucked it up and faced fears that most 18 and 19 years olds could not dream of today. I also salute and thank those who served but didn't see any active fighting for a variety of reasons.

satellitedriver

A simple "Thank you" is not enough, but, I have no better way to express my pride and gratitude for all that have been willing to serve.
My ancestors served in the Revolutionary War and in every war since then.
Tomorrow,
I am going to open a very special bottle of wine.
It was given to me by a friend several years ago who was shot down in a B17 over Germany in WWII. He was a POW for almost a year and weighed 106lbs when he was released. I joked with him one day, as I was delivering some Omaha steaks to him, and asked if he ever thought, while he was a captive, that someone would be delivering prime beef to his front door.
His response was, "Hell Steve, I would have been thrilled to have a chicken bone to suck on back then."
He passed away last year.
I will toast him and all who have been willing to serve.
Past, present and future.
I Thank each and everyone of you.

A day to give thanks to those who have served and remember those who never returned. No politics please!!! Let us instill this in our children for the future. God Bless America.

bigbrownhen

A very grateful THANK YOU to all who have served.
I also have many family members who have served and are currently serving. I have personally seen someone stop my son and give him a heartfelt thank you. He was on a weekend pass in basic training, a few vets shook his hand and two sweet ladies gave him a hug and took a picture with him. He was a little embarassed at first but it meant alot to him. If you get the chance to tell a soldier or vet thank you, please do.

partykid

My whole family has been in one of the many.... WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Korea, Irac...ETC A THANK YOU FROM A UPS DRIVER and FAMLY MEMBER.............. "Wipes a tear", again THANKS

In the city near where I live there is a Veterans Memorial for anyone that has served/are serving in the Armed Services both living and deceased. It is built of bricks with names, branch, some with times of service, some with decorations awarded. Family members pay a relatively small fee to have a brick placed for their loved ones. This morning my brother and I spent a couple of hours walking, slowly reading names of men and women that have served this nation. A silent thank you and prayer was said for all that serve/served before I left, my stinking back gave out on me or I probably would still be there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a delivery going to an apt and the consignee was not home. I left a notice and the consignee called to have it held. The OMS called me and told me it was a GI who needed the pkg today as he was heading out of town that evening. I told her to have him meet me at my drop box P/U which was just down the street. He met me promptly and, after making the delivery, I shook his hand and said, "Thank you for your service." He didn't expect that so I told him that I was a vet, at which point he then thanked me.

Vietnam was a different time, a war that we had no business being in, but the disrespect the returning GIs faced for their involuntary participation in a war that no one wanted to be in was most certainly not justified.