Michigan Seasonal Feeder Questions

watdaflock?

Hey all,

New to the cafe here, and I’m not a UPS employee yet. I have an interview at the Grand Rapids, MI hub tomorrow for a seasonal feeder position. I’m just wondering what the likelihood is of becoming a regular, full time employee from that point, and how long that will take. Any, and all input is welcome. Especially from my fellow Michiganders.
Who's gonna replace Jim Harbaugh? Can't believe Michigan pays him $9 million a year.

Go Bucks!

Grand Rapids is a pretty big hub. I'll go with the optimistic answer and say chances are good, as long as you don't screw up. Even though I have no factual evidence to back up my answer, I know at my small hub come the new year is when all the senior employees begin using vacation.

Give it a try, you can always quit.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Just found out I am being considered for a seasonal spot in feeders starting around mid october.

So what does SEASONAL actually mean at UPS??? From October to how long??
Until about the second week in January

How do I make my intention known that I want to become a permanent driver??
You go to the employment office (what used to be known as HR), and ask to have your name added to the (feeder) driver intent list. The list goes in order of seniority dates, and is updated on a monthly basis. Actually there are 2 lists: 1 for full time employees (with their FT seniority date), once that is exhausted they go to a list of part time employees.

Ok ok. Also hr told me I will work 12hrs a day and that I will have to bid on a start time??
Do you not know about DOT Hours of Service rules for truck drivers? I suggest you start studying the basics of them. You will be at work (from the time you punch in until you punch out) up to 14 hours a day; and if paid following one of the union contracts covering your hub, paid up to 13.67 hours. Maybe you'll be able to bid on a start time on a weekly basis, maybe once for the season. Don't fall in love with it. You're seasonal; if dispatches needs change, your start time may change.

Did you at least think to ask what your pay rate will be?

Special UPS Operator

Yeah it will be feeder starting rate around $18.74 . Overtime rate will be around $28.

Until about the second week in January

You go to the employment office (what used to be known as HR), and ask to have your name added to the (feeder) driver intent list. The list goes in order of seniority dates, and is updated on a monthly basis. Actually there are 2 lists: 1 for full time employees (with their FT seniority date), once that is exhausted they go to a list of part time employees.

Do you not know about DOT Hours of Service rules for truck drivers? I suggest you start studying the basics of them. You will be at work (from the time you punch in until you punch out) up to 14 hours a day; and if paid following one of the union contracts covering your hub, paid up to 13.67 hours. Maybe you'll be able to bid on a start time on a weekly basis, maybe once for the season. Don't fall in love with it. You're seasonal; if dispatches needs change, your start time may change.

Did you at least think to ask what your pay rate will be?

DblsTrpls

Just popped back on this thread, after posting it nearly 7 months ago. At my interview they were hiring seasonal feeders, and full time parcel drivers w/CDL. I had an accident in April, and was told to wait, because they were likely going to be in the same predicament in 2019 as 2018. If offered full time, I’ll go with it, and go to feeder as my seniority permits. Question- I have a sleeve tattoo on my left arm. How do they look at that? I can cover it up, no problem.

Brown Now

Just popped back on this thread, after posting it nearly 7 months ago. At my interview they were hiring seasonal feeders, and full time parcel drivers w/CDL. I had an accident in April, and was told to wait, because they were likely going to be in the same predicament in 2019 as 2018. If offered full time, I’ll go with it, and go to feeder as my seniority permits. Question- I have a sleeve tattoo on my left arm. How do they look at that? I can cover it up, no problem.

Just cover it up. You’ll always have to have it covered. No tats showing. Same with facial hair. Everyone jumps through the hoops to get the job, and then once hired and comfortable with the job, they start pushing the envelope and whining about the tat and hair rule. Please don’t be that guy.

I’m not sure on the $18.74 rate. That’s the rate for a NEW HIRE. Seasonal rates vary,but in the Chicagoland area its$35.

Brown Now

It’s kinda funny with UPS having the clean cut rule. Have you seen some of these other carries like FXF Freight? Even in Chicago they look like they are band members of ZZ Top.

hello from a fellow Michigander. if you're being hired on as seasonal they'll probably let you go once peak season is over. Work hard and don't complain too much and they might keep you on. Goodluck!

DblsTrpls

It’s kinda funny with UPS having the clean cut rule. Have you seen some of these other carries like FXF Freight? Even in Chicago they look like they are band members of ZZ Top.

Haha! I worked at FedEx Freight for six years on linehaul. I had a speeding ticket, and an accident, single vehicle, no ticket, in April...they disqualified me. I guess a rash of bad press due to our drivers at the time being all over the roads and ditches held me just as culpable. Idk- I work for the railroad, but, it’s killing my family. I’ve been talking regularly with with hiring manager for the Great Lakes District, so, I’ll give it a shot in May.

I also have a full beard, though, not ZZ Top status.