Minimal Acceptable

hypo hanna

That assumes that the goal is unreasonable just because the courier on the route says it is. Sometimes the courier's effort is not reasonable.
And you assume the goal is reasonable because the manager said so. Sometimes the managers expectations are not reasonable. Often the manager ignores mitigating factors that impact the drivers ability to reach that number but the manager sets it anyway.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You mean to tell me managers don't know who the super hero couriers who will do anything to make someone look bad, are? I've known plenty of managers, in my time who would turn a blind eye, so long as it was making them look good.

While it may be the couriers fault for being injured while working through break, it's not like the manager likely doesn't know what is going on. lol

Recently, my manager actually suggested that I drive during my break so that I don't go over the five minute gap time before/after my breaks. I laughed out loud on that and told him that he can expect me to regularly go over five minutes because I will NOT be driving on my break. I have a rural route. Sometimes it may take me 10 minutes or more to get to an eating place.

1fedexFAILURE

Or the number comes straight out of a hat rather than a check ride.. Then there is the mandatory 2% increase so they raise each routes goals some so the stations numbers match that of the engineering plan..which is based off of nothing..not route performance or check rides.. Now if your route is already set up to be at 100% and the route doesn't change..how do you run 2% more each year? After 5 years your supposed to be 10% better than what was 100%?? That being with an admition that we are running more miles and less stops within the routes so how do you improve when you are already running as instructed with Best Practices..doing everything properly.. Why the inflated numbers then? After a few years you have routes with numbers that don't match what the route is capable of doing per instructed by Best Practices.
I love the logic of this place. "Managers don't have a clue what couriers do," then "Managers know with 100% certainty who is working on their breaks, where they do it, when, and how much." LOVE IT!!

If a courier gets into an accident, he writes a statement about what happened. No one would likely know if he was making a delivery unless he said so verbally or indicated as much in his statement. And yes, it is a courier's fault if he's dumb enough to work through his break. If he has an at-fault accident while working on his break, it's still his fault.
Well then, you tell me.

A courier's route (that he's had for 7 years) has more stops now and he's covering a smaller area -- vs 2 years ago. His SPH has dropped from around 10 SPH to about 8.5. He says his goal (10 SPH) is too high even though he had no problem making it back when it required more effort to do so. He's had his area reduced (he claimed that it was too much driving time), he's had a large stop moved to another route (he said that the 15 minutes spent at that stop was killing his numbers), and he's been given some of the early-ready PUPs in his area (he said that there isn't enough stops, despite his delivery stop count steadily increasing).

Keep in mind that he made his goal 2 years ago when he was covering more area with fewer stops, and with a big time-eating stop right in the middle of his day. Also keep in mind that the things he claimed were keeping him from making goal were remedied, but to no avail.

So... is his goal unreasonable? He says it is.
Well then, you tell me.

A courier's route (that he's had for 7 years) has more stops now and he's covering a smaller area -- vs 2 years ago. His SPH has dropped from around 10 SPH to about 8.5. He says his goal (10 SPH) is too high even though he had no problem making it back when it required more effort to do so. He's had his area reduced (he claimed that it was too much driving time), he's had a large stop moved to another route (he said that the 15 minutes spent at that stop was killing his numbers), and he's been given some of the early-ready PUPs in his area (he said that there isn't enough stops, despite his delivery stop count steadily increasing).

Keep in mind that he made his goal 2 years ago when he was covering more area with fewer stops, and with a big time-eating stop right in the middle of his day. Also keep in mind that the things he claimed were keeping him from making goal were remedied, but to no avail.

So... is his goal unreasonable? He says it is.
I love the logic of this place. "Managers don't have a clue what couriers do," then "Managers know with 100% certainty who is working on their breaks, where they do it, when, and how much." LOVE IT!!

If a courier gets into an accident, he writes a statement about what happened. No one would likely know if he was making a delivery unless he said so verbally or indicated as much in his statement. And yes, it is a courier's fault if he's dumb enough to work through his break. If he has an at-fault accident while working on his break, it's still his fault.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If 2 hours of work are taken off of your route and you come in only 30 minutes earlier, then you're underperforming.

If your volume isn't increasing and you get back in later and later, with more service failures, then you're underperforming.

If someone who doesn't normally do that route can make service and SPH using proper methods on a checkride, and you can't, then you're underperforming.

If you've been on a route for 10 years and still can't sort your truck properly to avoid P1 overlook failures, then you're underperforming.

And so on.
And your parents really underperformed when they concieved you.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Hey man. I do my job. His or hers is not my concern. The milkers you complain about, which are not that many in number, are a manifestation of your policies.

The policy was to address every single issue he said was responsible for his performance to his satisfaction. In fact, in such cases in this area, the problem couriers are asked what are the 3 biggest issues affecting their performance and every effort is made to remedy those issues. There should be a significant improvement in performance as a result. Not saying that they should be setting the world on fire, but showing a noticeable improvement and maybe (dare I say it?) making their SPH and service goals.

If a courier says he'd do better were it not for A, B, and C, and those issues are fixed to his satisfaction, he has no excuse for continued poor performance. And you know what? Those with continued poor performance don't like having that pointed out to them.

At all.

59 Dano

So because "the only gray practice around here is couriers driving on break", that is the case in all stations?

No, that is the case AROUND HERE, which is why I said AROUND HERE and not EVERYWHERE INCLUDING CANADA.

And please tell me how driving on break is a "gray area". Break is a rest period. I don't find it very restful driving around in a W700.

Some folks think that driving on break is wrong. Others don't.

59 Dano

And you assume the goal is reasonable because the manager said so. Sometimes the managers expectations are not reasonable. Often the manager ignores mitigating factors that impact the drivers ability to reach that number but the manager sets it anyway.

The goal is reasonable when the courier says, paraphrasing, "I could make goal if not for [insert problems here]" and the manager takes care of those problems. The goal is reasonable when the swings can consistently exceed it.

The great thing about employees who do great work is that you don't have to listen to them make excuses.

59 Dano

Or the number comes straight out of a hat rather than a check ride.. Then there is the mandatory 2% increase so they raise each routes goals some so the stations numbers match that of the engineering plan..which is based off of nothing..not route performance or check rides..

I've seen that, too. Don't like it one bit.

Unless the swings can do it consistently.

Code43

Sounds like the Courier
The policy was to address every single issue he said was responsible for his performance to his satisfaction. In fact, in such cases in this area, the problem couriers are asked what are the 3 biggest issues affecting their performance and every effort is made to remedy those issues. There should be a significant improvement in performance as a result. Not saying that they should be setting the world on fire, but showing a noticeable improvement and maybe (dare I say it?) making their SPH and service goals.

If a courier says he'd do better were it not for A, B, and C, and those issues are fixed to his satisfaction, he has no excuse for continued poor performance. And you know what? Those with continued poor performance don't like having that pointed out to them.

At all.
You're going to have to check ride with the courier and show him how it's supposed to be done! Get your mapsco out and study up!

59 Dano

Sounds like the Courier

You're going to have to check ride with the courier and show him how it's supposed to be done! Get your mapsco out and study up!

It's the courier's job to deliver on what he says he will do if his manager takes care of the problems he's asked to take care of.

MAKAVELI

It's the courier's job to deliver on what he says he will do if his manager takes care of the problems he's asked to take care of.
And it's your job as a manager to give a check ride to a courier who consistently fails at service and route goals.

MAKAVELI

And it's the courier's job to make goal.
You certainly don't like having to work for your money, do you? I find it hilarious that you constantly harp on the " lazy and incompetent couriers" when you are the management equivalent. Go look in a mirror Dano, you might not like what you see.