Minimum Wage

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Of course they are, the government is giving you money, like for your yacht, your 'business meals', and your second home. That's welfare. Would you care to discuss corporate welfare, as well?
There is a difference in the government giving one money and not extorting that money from one.

If you have a $100 and a robber does not rob you of that money, that does not mean the robber gave you $100.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I wonder who gets the most in welfare dollars?, not counting big oil/agri?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...or-here-are-10-of-them/?tid=pm_business_pop_b
# 6
Still bugs me .
Why was Sen Ted Kennedy ( D ) allowed to probate his mother's estate in Florida and not Massachusetts ?
The last nine years of her life she never left Massachusetts .

# 2
SOS Kerry uses this loop hole .
He paid for the boat with his second wife's dead husband's trust fund .

# 3
In Florida , a sale tax must be paid on rental income .

wkmac

Some of us hold to a much broader definition of "entitled, welfare sucking American" than is typical but I think most people dislike someone who makes it a career and as opposed to someone who is just having some unexpected or untimely misfortune in their life.

And I do agree that "great jobs" are just not out there which IMO has a greater impact on forcing down wages as opposed to there not being enough union members or what have you. It's a purely buyers market of labor right now as opposed to a sellers labor market.

It also doesn't help that going into business for one's self or creating a new business has become so costly as a result of the regulatory state who more often than not IMO is acting on behalf of established businesses as a firewall to prevent up and coming competition that would threaten the existing cartel or monopoly.

UPS for example doesn't cry about increasing safety regulations because it knows this just increases the startup burden to anyone thinking of entering the same market as a competitor. Actually UPS likely does cry but it's, "please Brer Fox, please don't throw me into the briar patch" but the irony is that Brer Fox is on the take and gets a cut of the action from the old trickster Brer Rabbit.

All the while the rest of us beat on the political and social tar baby (red herring if you will) and get nothing but dirty and sticky as a result.

wkmac

There is a difference in the government giving one money and not extorting that money from one.

If you have a $100 and a robber does not rob you of that money, that does not mean the robber gave you $100.

The irony is that the money itself is not created by the gov't but created by a corporation granted the monopoly privilege to do so. Read the publication from the Chicago Federal Reserve entitled "Modern Money Mechanics" as they leave no doubt. Further re-enforced by the NY Federal Reserve's publication, "I Bet You Thought", a very telling title I might add.
;)

wkmac

“Secrecy is the keystone to all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy and censorship. When any government or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, “This you may not read, this you must not know,” the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked in this fashion; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, whose mind is free. No, not the rack nor the atomic bomb, not anything. You can’t conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.” – Robert A. Heinlein

Every time the BLS puts out their monthly propaganda report on the wonderful state of the U.S. jobs market and states with a straight face the unemployment rate is a measly 5.5%, their corporate mouthpieces in the mainstream cheerleader media regurgitate the fake numbers and urge you to buy stocks. The millionaire talking heads on CNBC and the corrupt bought off politicians in D.C. make broad sweeping declarations about economic recovery, strong job growth, GDP advancement, record highs in the stock market, and soaring consumer confidence.

The people living in the real world know otherwise, but they want to believe the “experts” and “leaders”. This dichotomy between reality and what they are being told is causing a tremendous amount of mental stress. This cognitive dissonance of attempting to reconcile what they are experiencing in their every day existence and the propaganda being peddled at them on a daily basis from big media, big bankers, corporate titans, and captured politicians pulling the strings and running the show, is causing psychological discomfort. Most people want their lives to get better, so to reduce their cognitive dissonance they choose to believe the government and media reports about economic improvement.

Truth - The Cure For Cognitive Dissonance

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Of course they are, the government is giving you money, like for your yacht, your 'business meals', and your second home. That's welfare. Would you care to discuss corporate welfare, as well?

I don't have a yacht, I don't write off business meals, OR a second home.

That being said, I LOVE what it classifies as a yacht. "If it has sleeping quarters, a kitchen and a toilet" um, lots of boats have those, yet I'd hardly call them yachts.

These are deductions that are available to the super wealthy (Republicans and Democrats alike).

The Tax deductions that these guys take advantage up are HARDLY comparable to the MILLIONS wasted annually to support losers who are afraid of working, yet drive nicer cars than I do and go out to eat several times a week.

Sportello

I'm pretty sure the Republican pendulum has been swinging ever closer to the workers over the last 40 years. It's onlt a matter of time before they come around.

135752-004-331922E8.jpg

Sportello

I don't have a yacht, I don't write off business meals, OR a second home.

That being said, I LOVE what it classifies as a yacht. "If it has sleeping quarters, a kitchen and a toilet" um, lots of boats have those, yet I'd hardly call them yachts.

These are deductions that are available to the super wealthy (Republicans and Democrats alike).

The Tax deductions that these guys take advantage up are HARDLY comparable to the MILLIONS wasted annually to support losers who are afraid of working, yet drive nicer cars than I do and go out to eat several times a week.
Corporate welfare costs twice what social welfare does.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why do you deserve $80k a year with benefits, but other jobs don't pay $20k a year with no benefits?

Those are poverty pay rates.

And no American company should be allowed to pay so little for the workers they need so much.
Careful!
A positive ROI for a $20k job may quickly turn negative at $30k, and even more so as it reaches $80k.

Sportello

Tax breaks taken advantage of by both parties and you compare that to social scamming...I mean welfare? Lmao
You are changing my words to fit your illogical point of view. Corporate welfare isn't necessarily taking advantage of tax code (the tax code written by them, btw). Try thinking of subsidies. I'm assuming you are a free market sort of guy, correct? Why should the government subsidize the Fortune 500?

wkmac

A tax break is not theft if it can be shown the resulting cost burden of gov't is not transferred upon others to pay while said tax break creates a privilege of cost protection. A true tax break would be for example a 10% tax break equaled by a 10% reduction in gov't performance/service on behalf of said taxpayer.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You are changing my words to fit your illogical point of view. Corporate welfare isn't necessarily taking advantage of tax code (the tax code written by them, btw). Try thinking of subsidies. I'm assuming you are a free market sort of guy, correct? Why should the government subsidize the Fortune 500?

Oh, aren't you the guy who posted the link to the Washington Post article about " The rich getting government handouts"? Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 , 9, and 10 ALL relate directly to tax deductions/loopholes. It appears I haven't changed any of your words, but read "evidence" that YOU posted for us to "learn from" and am presenting it back to you.