Misloads and The Policy

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I am telling you guys, file a grievance for all time the sups spend runnung out misloads. Our division level labor manager doesn't even argue, he just asks how much they owe!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That would be against the methods.

PAL stands for Preload Assist Label. It is not meant to take the place of the address label on the package and, yes, the loader should be checking the PAL and the address label.

As a driver I could care less about the PAL. The only time I use it is if I have to do Find BC.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
you got me there, the best I ever did was go a month and a half without a misload.

Back when you loaded there were no barcodes. If a driver found a misload most of the time it was just chucked in with the pickup pieces for the next day. The amount of packages reported as missed was nowhere near the actual amount that were missed. I'm sure you were a good loader but even now not all misloads get reported. If I find a misload that I can deliver I don't even report it as a misload. Or I will call the other driver and make arrangements. Loaders have enough pressure. If I can save mine the aggravation of being harrased in the morning I will.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Back when you loaded there were no barcodes. If a driver found a misload most of the time it was just chucked in with the pickup pieces for the next day. The amount of packages reported as missed was nowhere near the actual amount that were missed. I'm sure you were a good loader but even now not all misloads get reported. If I find a misload that I can deliver I don't even report it as a misload. Or I will call the other driver and make arrangements. Loaders have enough pressure. If I can save mine the aggravation of being harrased in the morning I will.
They can track that, too. If its off your loop, be careful. We have to scan misloads. Then, we watch our on-car come pick them up. If we don't, warning letter. METHODS. Its not our job to worry. Right? I wish I could worry about my loader. He's fantastic. He's, also, human. So, am I.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
PAL stands for Preload Assist Label. It is not meant to take the place of the address label on the package and, yes, the loader should be checking the PAL and the address label.

As a driver I could care less about the PAL. The only time I use it is if I have to do Find BC.

What I am trying to tell you Mr Nye is that UPS does not teach the preloaders to look at the address labels. There are 6 keys to preventing misloads in our building and looking at the adress label is not one of them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
What I am trying to tell you Mr Nye is that UPS does not teach the preloaders to look at the address labels. There are 6 keys to preventing misloads in our building and looking at the adress label is not one of them.
They don't teach it in my building, either. PAL, only. Then again, one supervisor loads like a baseball player and the other one loads half a load on the wrong truck.

pretzel_man

The method is NOT to read the address on the PAL. Just the handling instruction.

Most buildings ask that the handling instruction is written on the package with a crayon so that it is visible on the shelf.
Some have the preloader peel off the instruction and place it on a visible flap when loading.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The method is NOT to read the address on the PAL. Just the handling instruction.

Most buildings ask that the handling instruction is written on the package with a crayon so that it is visible on the shelf.
Some have the preloader peel off the instruction and place it on a visible flap when loading.

I think you guys are confusing what I am saying which is the loader should be comparing the PAL to the address label on the package to ensure that they match. The SPA being out of sync is the number one cause of misloads in my center. They then should read the PAL for lane number and shelf/floor location.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Many preload operations have gone over to Imprint PAL labels entirely or a hybrid / shift dependent sticker PAL/imprint.

To start messing around with peeling labels to place on ends of pkgs is a giant waste of time. I refuse to not wear gloves, therefore I or anyone else wearing gloves would have to remove gloves and put back on every time in the truck.

The packages should already be pal'd on the ends if those were the methods. Instead of wherever the SPA can hit them, as the belts are moving too quickly in tandem with the amount of packages whizzing by.

pretzel_man

Also, the preload methods with PAS ....INCLUDE....checking the PAL label versus the 4x6 label to ensure there is no out of synch.

I double checked the preload methods.

The do NOT say to check the PAL label vs the shipping label.

They DO say to check the PAL location to see if its coveriing the address label.

They DO say to write the HIN on the package.

I'm sure that there are some locations that tell preloaders to check the PAL to the address label. That is not part of the methods however.

tieguy

Banned

why yes the world was perfect when i was a loader in the HUB back in the early 80's. You guys cry about not getting enough recognition but yet here you yourself try to somehow diminish my accomplishments as an hourly. Why would you possibly expect to be treated any differently by management if you do the same thing?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I double checked the preload methods.

The do NOT say to check the PAL label vs the shipping label.

They DO say to check the PAL location to see if its coveriing the address label.

They DO say to write the HIN on the package.

I'm sure that there are some locations that tell preloaders to check the PAL to the address label. That is not part of the methods however.

Thank you, then one of our PT supervisors lied. During peak (and for months beforehand), he was salting, placing bad pal'd packages into our cages and saying everyone has to check both labels for out of syncs and that it was part of the methods.

He was also having preloaders sign off on any of these misloaded out of syncs for future discipline.

I will inform him that he is sabotaging our operation and that a person named pretzel_man on BrownCafe said he was lying and a loser. ;)

menotyou

bella amicizia
Thank you, then one of our PT supervisors lied. During peak (and for months beforehand), he was salting, placing bad pal'd packages into our cages and saying everyone has to check both labels for out of syncs and that it was part of the methods.

He was also having preloaders sign off on any of these misloaded out of syncs for future discipline.

I will inform him that he is sabotaging our operation and that a person named pretzel_man on BrownCafe said he was lying and a loser. ;)

Please read the "george clause".
Article 6 Section 1 Pg. 15
DON'T SIGN ANYTHING. Let me repeat, DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING.

As for the out-of-syncs, why aren't the scanners accountable in some fashion? More training, slower belt, less packages piled on top of each other?
If they want less missloads, how about lowering the pieces per person? Lowering the number of trucks per loader?
I know, that would interfere with the bottom line.
I love how people chide other people for whether they donate through the UPS determined charity because of the "less fortunates in the world", yet, spit on the mere idea of lightening up the load on their co- worker who is "less fortunate".
Am I mainly talking about management in this instance? Yes.
If you feel bad for the "Ted Williams" of the world, remember- charity starts at home.
1 Timothy 5:8-
"But if anyone does not provide for his own and especially those of his household, he has denied the faith and is far worse than an unbeliever."

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Please read the "george clause".
Article 6 Section 1 Pg. 15
DON'T SIGN ANYTHING. Let me repeat, DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING.

As for the out-of-syncs, why aren't the scanners accountable in some fashion? More training, slower belt, less packages piled on top of each other?
If they want less missloads, how about lowering the pieces per person? Lowering the number of trucks per loader?
I know, that would interfere with the bottom line.
I love how people chide other people for whether they donate through the UPS determined charity because of the "less fortunates in the world", yet, spit on the mere idea of lightening up the load on their co- worker who is "less fortunate".
Am I mainly talking about management in this instance? Yes.
If you feel bad for the "Ted Williams" of the world, remember- charity starts at home.
1 Timothy 5:8-
"But if anyone does not provide for his own and especially those of his household, he has denied the faith and is far worse than an unbeliever."

Many preload operations have gone over to Imprint PAL labels entirely or a hybrid / shift dependent sticker PAL/imprint.

To start messing around with peeling labels to place on ends of pkgs is a giant waste of time. I refuse to not wear gloves, therefore I or anyone else wearing gloves would have to remove gloves and put back on every time in the truck.

The packages should already be pal'd on the ends if those were the methods. Instead of wherever the SPA can hit them, as the belts are moving too quickly in tandem with the amount of packages whizzing by.
That's what I was getting at in this post.

Preload is just a big cluster ****. By the time the packages get to the preloader, either belt to car, boxline, carosouel or whatever other methohd, there are misloads, bad pals, unreadable imprint labels, OPEN packages, damaged packages, leaking packages.... on the boxline preload, cages are trashed with packages which slows the preloader by 2x because no one on the sort is trained to load cages via the methods. It goes on and on, a vicious cycle..

Basically, a daily train derailment in terms of efficiency because the symptoms of the problems are addressed, not the underlying issues.

The company wants to hyperfocus on misloads and attendence, when those two things alone are SYMPTOMS of the problem. Who wants to come to work when their sorters aren't doing the job properly and trashing their cages? Who wants to come to work when their PT sups are salting them against methods they were not trained to follow, only to make their life harder during peak? Who wants to come in when they have a 2000pc pull that is over their heads, working next to someone useless with 300pc pull that still needs help? Does anyone outside mgmt care about misloads or attendence?

menotyou

bella amicizia
That's what I was getting at in this post.

Preload is just a big cluster ****. By the time the packages get to the preloader, either belt to car, boxline, carosouel or whatever other methohd, there are misloads, bad pals, unreadable imprint labels. on the boxline preload, cages are trashed with packages which slows the preloader by 2x because no one on the sort is trained to load cages via the methods. It goes on and on, a vicious cycle..

Basically, a daily train derailment in terms of efficiency because the symptoms of the problems are addressed, not the underlying issues.

"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned Cabr'on and ching'tu madre! Come out of that :censored2:-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
B. Traven, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre 1927

Reminds me of the training manuals of late.

8up

a wise driver was taking "misloads" out of nearby cars and calling them in several days a week, then filing on the supervisor progressing the packages. story has it he was earning both his new truck and boat payment everymonth. it all came to a screaching halt when one of the misloads had been scanchecked in another car and not on his car. mgmt caught on after a preloaded witnessed the driver while the loader was being threatened on every occasion for the misloads being found on this drivers car. one union brother selling out the other for the opportunity for extra cash, it doesn't get anymore American than this does it? one taking financial advantage of the opportunity regardless of the truth or circumstnaces.

menotyou

bella amicizia
a wise driver was taking "misloads" out of nearby cars and calling them in several days a week, then filing on the supervisor progressing the packages. story has it he was earning both his new truck and boat payment everymonth. it all came to a screaching halt when one of the misloads had been scanchecked in another car and not on his car. mgmt caught on after a preloaded witnessed the driver while the loader was being threatened on every occasion for the misloads being found on this drivers car. one union brother selling out the other for the opportunity for extra cash, it doesn't get anymore American than this does it? one taking financial advantage of the opportunity regardless of the truth or circumstnaces.

Sounds like he learned how to screw someone from his supervisor, as the supervisor was the one shuttling these packages, which is a union job. They both sound like scum to me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds like he learned how to screw someone from his supervisor, as the supervisor was the one shuttling these packages, which is a union job. They both sound like scum to me.

How can you turn this around on the supervisor? The driver put the preloader in question at risk of losing his/her job for his personal financial gain. Yes, the supervisor should not be shuttling packages, but should the customer suffer if there are no drivers available for this work? What this driver did is no different than the OP of a thread a while back who was fired for intentionally misloading 60 packages in to the wrong trailer--sabotage.

There are more than enough valid contract violations to grieve--we shouldn't have to make any up. This driver should be terminated.