Misloads and The Policy

menotyou

bella amicizia
They are both wrong. They were BOTH screwing a union member. Please, remember that fact. BOTH. And, if I remember right, the OP did not intentionally do anything. He was accused of it. BIG DIFFERENCE.

menotyou

bella amicizia
And, let me add this, the driver should have been terminated on the spot, as you say. The preloader's file should be expunged, as well.

kflinn

brownbean
We have ''shuttle'' drivers......they can't deliver pkgs. they just go around get the mannnnny misloads off one car and take them to the correct car everyday.........

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are both wrong. They were BOTH screwing a union member. Please, remember that fact. BOTH. And, if I remember right, the OP did not intentionally do anything. He was accused of it. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I will agree that the supervisor would be scewing a union member if no attempt was made to bring in a union hourly employee to shuttle those misloads if you will agree that the customer should not be screwed due to language in a contract. Shuttle the misloads, take care of the customer and worry about the grievance later.

If the driver in question was not doing anything wrong then why the need to scan packages in to the pkg car(s)?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have ''shuttle'' drivers......they can't deliver pkgs. they just go around get the mannnnny misloads off one car and take them to the correct car everyday.........

We barely have enough staffing for the daily operations, haven't had an air driver in as long as I can remember and certainly don't have a shuttle driver.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Scan-checks have been done on preload for years. Drivers, probably, wouldn't know because it's done before we show up. The Customer should NEVER be the one who pays for our infighting. I agree that we can grieve the infraction later. The Customer pays our collective bills.

Let me reiterate, the driver in question should have been terminated on the spot, the preloaders record expunged and an "I'm sorry" is due to him from the scum driver. Yes, scum.

packageguy

All this talk about supervisor shuttling packages is wrong. yes the customer is first he is paying for a service that we provide. But there should be grievence put in so there will be a paper trail. ups will use pasted practice by saying yes will do it all the time. We want full time drivers not part time supervisors shuttling.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
All this talk about supervisor shuttling packages is wrong. yes the customer is first he is paying for a service that we provide. But there should be grievence put in so there will be a paper trail. ups will use pasted practice by saying yes will do it all the time. We want full time drivers not part time supervisors shuttling.

don't worry, us "full time" management are shuttling too.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
How can you turn this around on the supervisor? The driver put the preloader in question at risk of losing his/her job for his personal financial gain. Yes, the supervisor should not be shuttling packages, but should the customer suffer if there are no drivers available for this work? What this driver did is no different than the OP of a thread a while back who was fired for intentionally misloading 60 packages in to the wrong trailer--sabotage.

There are more than enough valid contract violations to grieve--we shouldn't have to make any up. This driver should be terminated.

don't worry, us "full time" management are shuttling too.

Seems this has answered itself, but I would also add this; A driver who is dishonestly salting his (or her) own car is not only a rotten egg that needs to be tossed out, but in my years here certainly an extreme rarity among the thousands of honest employees, hourly and management alike.

However a management person who is shuttling misloads is unfortunately a common occurrence. Even without the dishonest driver, the sup would certainly be shuttling misloads. Dishonestly. I doubt many sups actually enjoy the shuttling practice, or even willingly choose it. It like many other damaging practices comes down hill from corporate, and so I do not in general blame those who are just following instructions.

Grieve it, yes.

But that dishonesty is by miles a more far reaching problem, resulting usually from system failure and not driver sabotage. Who needs sabotage when you already have PAS?

menotyou

bella amicizia
This subject really irritates me. That scum driver came up with the idea, probably, from watching sups shuttle on a daily basis. He is one person. How many sups ARE NOT shuttling? The constant crapping on the contract is ridiculous. Why hasn't someone sued them for failing the 'good faith' clause?

old levi's

blank space
Out of curiousity, do you report both of those missorts in the DIAD?

When I look at missorts, I see few reported in the DIAD.

You only record it in the DIAD if you deliver it or sheet it as missed. If someone comes and gets it or you drop it off for someone it shows up as a delivered package. We could have 50 misloads in a day but if they all get shuttled to where they belong it shows up as none. A supervisor should have more important things to do then chase misloads all day. Like I said in another thread, a part time office girl can chase misloads.

He said report. There is a function under communications to report a misload.

old levi's

blank space
If I deliver missort from another driver's EDD, it disappears off his list. The tracking number shows delivered, so it doesn't show up anywhere unless we text it in as a miss. At least thats my understanding of the system. A lot of drivers just call in on their cellphones or call the driver next to them and handle them, so there is no record of them.I am not aware of a report that shows packages on one driver's EDD and being delivered by someone else. I would imagine that most service failures are covered up, its worse than it appears.

The new thing in my Center is to never record a package as damaged, its recorded as refused by the customer or missed if I don't make an attempt on an obvious damaged. This seems dishonest to me, a damaged package is a damaged package. So much for honesty and showing visibility to a customer tracking it.

Same here. And I don't like it at all. Customer calls and says "Hey, I didn't refuse a package". End of story, they discover that not only did we damage their package ,but we also lied about it.

old levi's

blank space
That's how it used to be before we got the technology designed to prevent it.:knockedout:

When you had a person reading an address and making a decision. Now they don't even look to see if the PAL matches the original label. They will load 5 large boxes for Wal-Mart going to a residence because thats what the PAL has on it. COME ON PEOPLE

Last edited:

old levi's

blank space
Yes Pretz,it does ask you.The very first day this option was available in the diad,I used it and said no to the question as it was way out of area.The next day I was told expressly to "NOT" use this anymore and to call in misloads by phone.
9 times out of 10,this is the message I receive back.
P101006002.jpg

Because it showed up on a report, and that report hit somebody's desk, and that was a problem.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I think PAS is the problem. The handling instructions are the same for every single car. If we really wanted to eliminate misloads we wouldn't give a preloader three or four cars with the exact same handling instructions. A preloader would be much less likely to misload a package if their cars had separate sets of handling instructions (car 1: 1000-3000, car 2: 4000-6000, car 3: 7000-9000). Even making the labels different colors or different fonts for each car would help. I don't understand why our systems partners haven't tried to address this issue over many years of PAS.

washington57

I think PAS is the problem. The handling instructions are the same for every single car. If we really wanted to eliminate misloads we wouldn't give a preloader three or four cars with the exact same handling instructions. A preloader would be much less likely to misload a package if their cars had separate sets of handling instructions (car 1: 1000-3000, car 2: 4000-6000, car 3: 7000-9000). Even making the labels different colors or different fonts for each car would help. I don't understand why our systems partners haven't tried to address this issue over many years of PAS.

i like this idea a lot

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
We had discipline long before PAS. I think PAS was designed to make us more productive and help enhance our service offerings (which it has done). I'd like to see improvements to the system, but I don't think there's a conspiracy behind it.