Moving Money Out Of Stocks (1-16-2018)

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Did some major homework on the economy and today we moved a lot of our money out of stocks and into safer investments.

Not all of it ( about 15 % ) but because of our age , thought our exposure to stocks ( 75% ) was way too high. dow 26000 means the economy is overheated , i believe.

Experts will say that we are probably still overexposed with slightly more than 60% in stocks and the rest in bonds and cash. it's a risk we are willing to take.

We don't listen to all the doomsayers. Nor do we listen to all the bulls. There are people like Warren Buffett , Paul Krugman , and Dave Ramsey amongst others that keep a level head and usually ( usually ) know what they are talking about that believe the economy is standing on shaky ground.

What really convinced me is the person in the white house and his gang of incompetents ( please, not trying to be political here )

at our age , we can not withstand a major correction that may take years to recover from.

badpal

Never a bad idea to take a profit, Grandma always said never confuse brains with a bull market. Even if the economy is booming there can still be corrections due to a lot of things. At least cash is paying a smidgen more than a year ago.

badpal

What I'm trying to say is don't get greedy. It's real easy to be "all in" when the market is hot.
I am comfortable with my allocations and I don't lose any sleep over it.
Being able to sleep at night is a big thing, everybodys risk tolerance is different. If your waking up at 3 am worried , its time to take some off the table.

Being able to sleep at night is a big thing, everybodys risk tolerance is different. If your waking up at 3 am worried , its time to take some off the table.
I have enough cash reserves to withstand a market down turn I moved a small portion of my US stocks to international and I'll see what 2018 turns out.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm not talking about trying to time the market. But if your portfolio had. 60/40 mix originally it might be 80/20 right now. Don't get greedy, stick to your original plan.
And if you're already retired and depend somewhat on that money you probably shouldn't have over 20/30%

And if you're already retired and depend somewhat on that money you probably shouldn't have over 20/30%
You should have at least two years in cash equivalents if you are retired.

I was listening to a radio show and they was talking about keeping 10 years in cash and leave everything else I stocks.

The thinking was you wouldn't sell your stocks at the wrong time, especially in a downturn.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
You should have at least two years in cash equivalents if you are retired.

I was listening to a radio show and they was talking about keeping 10 years in cash and leave everything else I stocks.

The thinking was you wouldn't sell your stocks at the wrong time, especially in a downturn.
gold coins