My first accident

AttackedHawk34

I got into my first accident today. I'm so pissed about it because it was totally avoidable so i know i will be charged. I hit a stationary object the most easiest of all to avoid. I did everything i was supposed to do i called it in and everything so I'm not worried about it being an unreported incident and getting fired. What should i expect next? I'm just mad because this is going to set me back on my goal of being a 25yr safe driver and be a legend in the circle of honor. Im in my third year.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm just mad because this is going to set me back on my goal of being a 25yr safe driver and be a legend in the circle of honor. Im in my third year.
That would be the absolute least concern of mine...besides there have been plenty of Circle of Honor drivers with accidents, safe driving years are not consecutive (or so I thought)

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Safety ride (usually a nice 8 hr day), cbts, lectures from every one of your sups, you’ll probably get followed a few times, and you may have to have a fun conversation via Skype with the DM. Make sure you brush up on your 5’s and 10’s. Other than that, depending on how much money you cost the company.... it will be business as usual after a week or two.

AttackedHawk34

Its just so much you have to pay attention to and all the littlest details matter so much and your jugdement has to be on point. I drive so defensively that i almost drive scared at times because anything can happen and it will be your fault. I just gots to be more focused man.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think it used to be if you got in an accident in your first 5 years you got sent back to zero and had to start over again. After that say you got 6 years of safe driving and you got in another accident in your 7th year you just have to make up the one year. Something like that.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I got into my first accident today. I'm so pissed about it because it was totally avoidable so i know i will be charged. I hit a stationary object the most easiest of all to avoid. I did everything i was supposed to do i called it in and everything so I'm not worried about it being an unreported incident and getting fired. What should i expect next? I'm just mad because this is going to set me back on my goal of being a 25yr safe driver and be a legend in the circle of honor. Im in my third year.
Paperwork and answering a lot of questions.

Not sure about your hub but in mine your clock goes back to zero within the first 5 years if you have an accident. 25 yr. safe driver is an honorable goal.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Don't beat yourself up. We have one circle of honor driver who has TOTALED 2 trucks. He had a very rough start to his career, but slowed down and made it to the elite club. Don't sweat it, you'll make it someday.

rod

Retired 22 years
Man that was a hard three years i just lost then omg. Im a newb all over again
I had 3 chargeable accidents and still got into the Circle of Honor Club. I tell you what--if it would make you feel better I could send you my Century 21 (Circle of Honor) jacket -----that's if I could find it. (Only worn once).

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Its just so much you have to pay attention to and all the littlest details matter so much and your jugdement has to be on point. I drive so defensively that i almost drive scared at times because anything can happen and it will be your fault. I just gots to be more focused man.
If you’re driving scared.....that’s not really a good thing. You need to be confident; just not over confident. There’s a fine line there that we all have to figure out for ourselves. YOU are in control of where you put the vehicle.
I only have 1 accident; a hwp that was deemed avoidable. Was my park position optimal? No. Was it still a bs crappy situation? Yes. I parked as close to the stop as possible without doing anything stupid or egregious, some dude backed into me from like 6 houses down out of nowhere.
I learned my lesson that day. I will never, ever, not one time ever again rush at this job ever again.
If you are scared, stressed, whatever.... pull the friend over, get out. Walk around the truck, breath and go sort some crap. Never think that you have to back somewhere just to get a stop done quicker. Walk that thing across 2 parking lots if you have to. If it’s heavy, get the handcart out and whistle as you stroll to wherever you’re going.
I’m telling you man. Slowwwww down. I haven’t broken a sweat at this job in months and I can still run scratch occasionally driving and moving like a total grandpa. It’s more about organization and rhythm than “speed.”

AttackedHawk34

I do drive like granpa now i think of this guy when i drive
. But when i say i drive scared i mean because im trying to watch out what others are doing because they cant drive and you have to always assume the worst thing that can happen when on the road but whats funny after saying all that is i hit a stationary object lol man.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I had 3 chargeable accidents and still got into the Circle of Honor Club. I tell you what--if it would make you feel better I could send you my Century 21 (Circle of Honor) jacket -----that's if I could find it. (Only worn once).
And it no longer fits !! :). Lol