My route sucks

Est.1998

So I won a route not too long ago. I only have 3 years seniority but won it because no one bid on it. I kinda figured it was going to be a crap route for this reason.

It’s basically a big residential grid, every street is two-way single lane with cars parked on both sides. Absolutely nowhere to pull over, at least for a 24+ foot long package car. So I’m blocking the road the entire day like the garbage man. There will already be cars behind me by the time I get my first stop off on each street. By stop number four or five there will by a half dozen people sitting behind me. It’s ridiculous. Funny thing is 99% of them don’t even live on the block, they’re just passing through.

Most people are patient but I get a handful of drivers that lose their minds at the inconvenience I’m causing them. Continuous honking, screaming at me, flipping me off. Every so often someone will pull up nose to nose with me and refuse to move. I figured out a way to win every time though. I tell them if they’re not moving then I’m walking the rest of my stops off. Then I bust out the hand truck and start loading it. Works every time. Yeah haven’t had to put more than three pieces on my dolly before they start backing up. Oh the look of defeat in their eyes is delicious.

Anyways, just needed to rant. Does anyone face something similar and how do you deal with it impatient jerks?
How does the mailman run this neighborhood?

vvv

So I won a route not too long ago. I only have 3 years seniority but won it because no one bid on it. I kinda figured it was going to be a crap route for this reason.

It’s basically a big residential grid, every street is two-way single lane with cars parked on both sides. Absolutely nowhere to pull over, at least for a 24+ foot long package car. So I’m blocking the road the entire day like the garbage man. There will already be cars behind me by the time I get my first stop off on each street. By stop number four or five there will by a half dozen people sitting behind me. It’s ridiculous. Funny thing is 99% of them don’t even live on the block, they’re just passing through.

Most people are patient but I get a handful of drivers that lose their minds at the inconvenience I’m causing them. Continuous honking, screaming at me, flipping me off. Every so often someone will pull up nose to nose with me and refuse to move. I figured out a way to win every time though. I tell them if they’re not moving then I’m walking the rest of my stops off. Then I bust out the hand truck and start loading it. Works every time. Yeah haven’t had to put more than three pieces on my dolly before they start backing up. Oh the look of defeat in their eyes is delicious.

Anyways, just needed to rant. Does anyone face something similar and how do you deal with it impatient jerks?
I'm like a broken record on this topic, but my truck never ever stays in the middle of the street, nor in places where it doesn't belong.....not even for a minute.
Now I understand that your area is a bit different and it is a tight street.....but oh well.....not your fault. Park the truck halfway down the block or more if needed in a safe spot where you are not obstructing traffic and upgrade your shoes for walking. :)

Put it in managements lap that you are being threatened out there and fear for your safety, and also need to park far away so you don't get injured or in an accident. I have no clue as to what your stop count is, but sounds like it can be cut by 50% or more if that truck is where it belongs. They couldn't say crap about it to you.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
i have two or three neighborhoods on my tue-fri route that are super narrow with cars parked on both sides. i pull over wherever there is no car and walk the stops off. i also try to get these neighborhoods done before 5pm so there are more places to pull over.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I'm like a broken record on this topic, but my truck never ever stays in the middle of the street, nor in places where it doesn't belong.....not even for a minute.
Now I understand that your area is a bit different and it is a tight street.....but oh well.....not your fault. Park the truck halfway down the block or more if needed in a safe spot where you are not obstructing traffic and upgrade your shoes for walking. :)

Put it in managements lap that you are being threatened out there and fear for your safety, and also need to park far away so you don't get injured or in an accident. I have no clue as to what your stop count is, but sounds like it can be cut by 50% or more if that truck is where it belongs. They couldn't say crap about it to you.
It amazes me how 95% of drivers can't figure out that ups rules would benefit them if they would just use them. They are all quick to bitch and moan that I only have 57 stops today and they have 160. I just laugh in their faces and give them directions to meet me if I have 65.

Est.1998

I can see me doing this up until that moment it's raining. I doubt they'll reduce my stop count over it.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation

I can totally relate my friend. Even worse when the block is loaded with Amazon, FedEx & Purolator trucks. I blame it on Amazon. I tried the load the hand card trick and walk them off but a few dog food stops, sleep by numbers stops and you're hustling back to the end of the block after 4-5 stops. Mine can have up to 15 stops on one block. You have to block the road or you'll be out after 10pm every night. Just fold the mirror in set the brake and use your flashers & brisk pace the stops off is about all you can do. Apple EarPods help ease the stress. Smile & Wave.

Say, you related to LeRoy?

MattM

Like someone else mentioned, what does USPS do or the trash trucks?

Is it literally bumper to bumper both ways? I'm surprised cars don't try to go around going the opposite direction.

Is blocking drive ways a 100% no no? What about parking in a drive way of a house that has prior consent to do so?

Can you not inch over to a driveway to let cars pass and then get back into the middle of the regular lane?

Can you quickly park in a fire lane? What do drivers on bigger cities do?

Overpaid Union Thug

I had a route like that. All resi neighborhoods. I just pretended the inpatient jerks weren’t there. I’d block traffic and if anyone really gave me attitude I told them to get in the neighborhood Facebook group and tell everyone to get their vehicles out of the streets. If I had trouble getting through, or if completely blocked (for me anyway) I actually called 911 and would say that emergency vehicles wouldn’t be able to get through if needed. The police would come and knock on doors and make people move their cars. It was great. Loved seeing the looks of shock, anger, and defeat on their faces as they had to come out in their pajamas (in the afternoon!) to move them.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
My route is similar. Narrow 2 way streets full of apartments. I park in the red zones at either end of the block and handcart everything off. I’m 4 hours over allowed everyday.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Like someone else mentioned, what does USPS do or the trash trucks?

Is it literally bumper to bumper both ways? I'm surprised cars don't try to go around going the opposite direction.

Is blocking drive ways a 100% no no? What about parking in a drive way of a house that has prior consent to do so?

Can you not inch over to a driveway to let cars pass and then get back into the middle of the regular lane?

Can you quickly park in a fire lane? What do drivers on bigger cities do?

Fire lane is fair game

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Oh lol! That’s a good one, I’m using that for now on. Sorry my truck broke down, tow truck driver won’t be here for another 40 minutes, I hope you’re not going anywhere important!

I had one lady behind me recording me with her phone last week. As I walked by her she said “I’m calling UPS and reporting you!” I literally laughed out loud and told her she needed the yellow car number on the back when she called. Told her my name was John Brown. Her face turned red when she realized I didn’t give a rip. I wish I could hear the conversation she had with the UPS rep if she did end up calling.

A great way to insult people in the ultimate passive-agressive manor and get away with it is when you're asked for your name (providing you have a common first name like I do), give it to the complainant and ask them very matter-of-factly "do you need me to spell that for you?"

Whither

Scofflaw
Absolutely nowhere to pull over, at least for a 24+ foot long package car.
Wait, they give you a P-1200 on a resi route?

Several blocks of my route are like yours, but thankfully not the majority. Already sorted by the time I get to em and nearly always block the street. No sidewalks either, and on the worst blocks you might find a decent park position a few houses down only for someone to park a full-size pickup directly across the street as soon as you're walking off the delivery ...

There've been several hit-while-parked accidents in my building this year and far as I know all of them were deemed avoidable. So for me the first priority is not taking chances.