Nerding on Photography

Marne Vet

Remember the "Big Idea"? My buddy was picked to be on the cover back in '93? Not sure if it was '93, or '94, but regardless, when the Air Walker was a new position. He was the guy on the cover. I remember the day they shot it, and they couldn't agree on what famous city structure to do the photo-op in front of. It had to be just right. He had a fake NDA letter in one hand, and was told to "casually" walk across the street. haha Unreal.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Remember the "Big Idea"?

I certainly do.
I was "drafted" into Personnel (as it was known back then) in 1982 with the side deal I would be the district Big Idea editor.
I am a photographer and they had seen some of my work.
I took some really nice pictures for the district Big Idea that were used by Corporate.
I remember one that I took with the driver that delivered to Ben Jones (Cooter on Dukes of Hazzard).
I climbed up on a railroad trestle to get a really nice shot and about the time I got off the trestle, a train came around the curve.
Just another example why I am lucky to be alive.

Marne Vet

I certainly do.
I was "drafted" into Personnel (as it was known back then) in 1982 with the side deal I would be the district Big Idea editor.
I took some really nice pictures for the district Big Idea that were used by Corporate.
I remember one that I took with the driver that delivered to Ben Jones (Cooter on Dukes of Hazzard).
I climbed up on a railroad trestle to get a really nice shot and about the time I got off the trestle, a train came around the curve.

Photography? Nice. I do that on the side too. Shooting with the 5D3 right now. Mostly Air Shows, Auto Shows, or an occasional birthday party or Christening. I stayed away from Weddings because a) Most people annoy me, and b) See a again. lol

We used to have a hallway in our hub with all the Big Idea covers that were from our area. Some time ago they disappeared. :(

I certainly do.
That there is proof of how productive you were for ups. Thanks for your service.

Photography? Nice. I do that on the side too. Shooting with the 5D3 right now. Mostly Air Shows, Auto Shows, or an occasional birthday party or Christening. I stayed away from Weddings because a) Most people annoy me, and b) See a again. lol

We used to have a hallway in our hub with all the Big Idea covers that were from our area. Some time ago they disappeared. :(
That's old school ups. Now it's only safety crap.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I shoot the Nikon D-800 mostly but I have been using the Olympus mirrorless cameras - got the OMD EM1 about a month ago.
I am really impressed with the EM1 coupled with the 12-40 f2.8 PRO lens. I have not used it for a pro job yet but I plan to shoot some weddings and head shots in 2014 with it (D-800 will be close just in case).
I teach location workshops and the OM1 and 7 lens and accessories weigh less than 8 pounds versus 42 pounds for my Nikon setup.
Hiking 2 -3 miles climbing up and down creek banks to shoot waterfalls has convinced me the smaller mirrorless cameras have a place.
I taught a workshop out in the Tetons with nothing but an Olympus EM5 and the setup worked great.

I know what you mean about weddings ... I don't advertise for them but people ask me.
I like doing them if it is the bride's 2nd or more marriage. Then it is more about family and candid shots.
I shot a theatre play at 3200 ISO, 200 sec shutter and 2.8 aperture (no flash) and got over 200 good shots (out of 387) with the Nikon D-800. I don't miss film at all.

I shoot the Nikon D-800 mostly but I have been using the Olympus mirrorless cameras - got the OMD EM1 about a month ago.
I am really impressed with the EM1 coupled with the 12-40 f2.8 PRO lens. I have not used it for a pro job yet but I plan to shoot some weddings and head shots in 2014 with it (D-800 will be close just in case).
I teach location workshops and the OM1 and 7 lens and accessories weigh less than 8 pounds versus 42 pounds for my Nikon setup.
Hiking 2 -3 miles climbing up and down creek banks to shoot waterfalls has convinced me the smaller mirrorless cameras have a place.
I taught a workshop out in the Tetons with nothing but an Olympus EM5 and the setup worked great.

I know what you mean about weddings ... I don't advertise for them but people ask me.
I like doing them if it is the bride's 2nd or more marriage. Then it is more about family and candid shots.
I shot a theatre play at 3200 ISO, 200 sec shutter and 2.8 aperture (no flash) and got over 200 good shots (out of 387) with the Nikon D-800. I don't miss film at all.
I shoot with my iPhone 5

Marne Vet

With today's noise reduction technology we can shoot high ISO's and pull-off some amazing low-light shots. I was able to shoot inside a ride at Epcot this past summer using the 24-105mm f4 IS at around 3200, and the shots came out great.
Looking at my open tabs I have on my browser, I have [this] one, FroKnowsPhoto.com, SLRlounge, Flickr, and photography-on-the.net up almost all the time. Been hunting eBay recently for a 16-35mm f2.8 for the Spring do some extra wide HDR's. OK, hijacking the thread over. Sorry for the photog talk. Wrong forum! :)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I shoot with my iPhone 5
I do too and I have a tripod and clamp for it.
I also have over 30 apps on my iPhone to process images once taken.
It is much harder to get a good quality image from an iPhone but I have sold some 16x20 canvas prints from them.
I am putting together a course on iphonography to teach at the college this spring.
I thought the Dean would be resistant but for college students, their smartphone, is the only camera they have known and she was agreeable. The Adult Education curriculum is much more flexible and creative than core college curriculum.

Marne Vet

It is much harder to get a good quality image from an iPhone but I have sold some 16x20 canvas prints from them.
I am putting together a course on iphonography to teach at the college this spring.
I thought the Dean would be resistant but for college students, their smartphone, is the only camera they have known and she was agreeable. The Adult Education curriculum is much more flexible and creative than core college curriculum.

That's perfect. Look what the Chicago Sun-Times recently did. They fired their entire photography staff and now their reporters use iPhones. I can see you getting full classes for this.
On a similar note Camera+ app just updated, and the new interface and added features are great. One of my favorite camera apps by far.

I shoot with my iPhone 5
thats cool

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I plugged my iPhone in to sync it and I saw the Camera+ update.
That is a pretty massive update for free with many nice processing features.
I'll let you know what I think.

Marne Vet

Processing on phones... Who woulda thunk it...

I'll stick to Adobe Light Room lol

I do 90% of my PP in Lightroom, but use CS6, Perfect PhotoSuite 7, Portrait Professional, Topaz Labs, and a few others I'm forgetting, to clean up my images. Lightroom is definitely my main workflow hub.

texan

I have done 8 to 9 weddings.

Mostly family, once for a Supervisor at work.

Stressful is the word.

I was not pleased with the one for the Supervisor.

She and her husband were very pleased, but I am my hardest critic.

Hers and another were in buildings that were over 150 years old.

The old buildings with limited lighting are very difficult.

I need a better camera and Hoke's course.

I am so glad it is not my livelyhood. I would starve.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have done 8 to 9 weddings.

Mostly family, once for a Supervisor at work.

Stressful is the word.

I am so glad it is not my livelyhood. I would starve.
As a hobby, photography is great.
As a job, it is very stressful and does not pay well with long. long hours.
Divorce rates are very high amongst photographers as you are on the road all the time.
Work at UPS and enjoy photography as a hobby.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I have dabbled in photography even taken courses and my wife is a big camera person. I believe that the good picture or the eye of the photographer are products of a talent that I don't have. The film ,lenses, and camera are the same as an artist brushes. To see beauty and capture it on film or canvas are very similar. Sometimes I have seen things so spectacular and tried to capture them on film only to be dissapointed with the outcome. Never the less I will keep on trying.

oldngray

nowhere special
photo cheetah.jpg

Hoax should be more aware of his surroundings when taking a picture.

upschuck

I too have a 5dIII, and make it my mission to not have to alter photo in software, sometimes you have to, but mostly leave them alone. I consider using software as a crutch for a poorly constructed photo.