Nerding on Photography

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I like people like that ... I crush them in competitions! :wink-very:

I assume you mean cropping or deleting elements from a picture since a jpg is a processed image by an engineer at Canon, Nikon, etc. Images straight out of the camera are really crappy looking and get relegated to the reject bin unless the impact or subject is strong.

I shoot "RAW and jpg" and the jpg is a throw away except for viewing on a PC without a RAW viewer.

I don't know anyone that does not do post-processing of their images except my students and the first thing I do is get them to shoot RAW and how to do curves and sharpening.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Tony and I both have mirrorless fujifilm x-e1's, a few different lenses and creative cloud subscription that we play around with. It's a great hobby, we both really enjoy it.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I shoot with a Suomi KP/-31. If I want a longer shot, I grab my valuable Mosin 91/30 with the matching PU scope. Have a few others of interest (PPSh-41/PPS42 & 43 / Colefire / M1 / etc.) great hobby for the UPSer

oldngray

nowhere special
You need to buy Bob a new camera for Christmas

11.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I re read your 1st and other post, but I am still not getting it about HDR.
HDR (High Dynamic Resolution) is an image resulting from taking digital pictures at different exposures usually at 2 stop intervals.
The pictures need to be taken on a tripod with the same image captured in each image. This exactness is not imperative but it works better the closer they are.
These 3 or 5 or 7 pictures at different exposures are then "loaded" into a software program such as Photomatix, Photoshop, Nik HDR Efex which analyzes pixel by pixel each image looking for color saturation and tonality (brightness or exposure) and through algorithms develops a single tone-mapped image with each pixel "maximally enhanced" in regards to tonality and saturation.
Tonality is easier to balance and most advances have been in controlling changes in hue and saturation to look more "natural".
Hopefully this helps out a little. It is a simplified description to get a person to understand the process.

upschuck

HDR (High Dynamic Resolution) is an image resulting from taking digital pictures at different exposures usually at 2 stop intervals.
The pictures need to be taken on a tripod with the same image captured in each image. This exactness is not imperative but it works better the closer they are.
These 3 or 5 or 7 pictures at different exposures are then "loaded" into a software program such as Photomatix, Photoshop, Nik HDR Efex which analyzes pixel by pixel each image looking for color saturation and tonality (brightness or exposure) and through algorithms develops a single tone-mapped image with each pixel "maximally enhanced" in regards to tonality and saturation.
Tonality is easier to balance and most advances have been in controlling changes in hue and saturation to look more "natural".
Hopefully this helps out a little. It is a simplified description to get a person to understand the process.
5diii does it with a click of a button

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

Hoax, It makes me hot when you post like this!
Don't stop. Don't ever stop
AJ

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Kinda like under-exposing Kodachrome 2/3 of a stop.:wink2: