Nerding on Photography

Marne Vet

5diii does it with a click of a button

It does, but it's a terribly processed image. I shoot with the 5D3 and never use that feature. I wouldn't recommend using the in-camera HDR processing if you want to do this.

I normally shoot handheld, and adjust my ISO to accommodate a faster shutter speed. 3 exposures at -2, E, +2, correct all of the raw images first, then produce a tone mapped image with Photomatix Pro. If I have the time I'll go to a tripod and 5-7 exposures for better quality. Then there's the run through multiple filters to see what I like most, and last minute fixes in Lightroom and/or CS6. A lot of people absolutely hate HDR's, and I think that's because there are so many over exposed train-wrecks all over Flickr that give it a bad name. When done correctly you can pull out some really nice shots.

upschuck

It does, but it's a terribly processed image. I shoot with the 5D3 and never use that feature. I wouldn't recommend using the in-camera HDR processing if you want to do this.

I normally shoot handheld, and adjust my ISO to accommodate a faster shutter speed. 3 exposures at -2, E, +2, correct all of the raw images first, then produce a tone mapped image with Photomatix Pro. If I have the time I'll go to a tripod and 5-7 exposures for better quality. Then there's the run through multiple filters to see what I like most, and last minute fixes in Lightroom and/or CS6. A lot of people absolutely hate HDR's, and I think that's because there are so many over exposed train-wrecks all over Flickr that give it a bad name. When done correctly you can pull out some really nice shots.
Never tried it, but wanted too. I may try both ways to see if there is that much of a difference. If it is that processed then your way would definitely be the best.

Marne Vet

Never tried it, but wanted too. I may try both ways to see if there is that much of a difference. If it is that processed then your way would definitely be the best.

Almost forgot, when doing this handheld you want to use the 2 second timer. Photomatix Pro has a very sophisticated algorithm that will align all of your shots for you when it produces a tone-mapped image. Don't get me wrong, the in-camera HDR is very nice and has a place in the field, but if you'd like to make them better try the way explained above. Pretty easy to get started.

upschuck

Almost forgot, when doing this handheld you want to use the 2 second timer. Photomatix Pro has a very sophisticated algorithm that will align all of your shots for you when it produces a tone-mapped image. Don't get me wrong, the in-camera HDR is very nice and has a place in the field, but if you'd like to make them better try the way explained above. Pretty easy to get started.
Thanks for the advice.