New 1000's

sikidiki

Anyone drive the new Freightliner 1000's? It seems they put in some sort of acceleration delay because they dont have the instant loud nascar sound up to 40mph anymore, its calm collected and quiet. Feels slow man. I hope this isn't a new trend.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I just don't like the fact that it doesn't have the handrails in the rear. Backing up to docks without those things, if you don't remember you'll smack the back door against the ledge.

The light in the back is cool, and so is the grip on the steps. Other then that, same :censored2:.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I just don't like the fact that it doesn't have the handrails in the rear. Backing up to docks without those things, if you don't remember you'll smack the back door against the ledge.

The light in the back is cool, and so is the grip on the steps. Other then that, same :censored2:.

Not supposed to back against the dock. Shouldn't be an issue

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I have a newer 600. It is just the step bumper with no side rails. I also pick up only about 10 pick ups daily. But still don't back against a dock

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No contact. They used to say that back when I was in Package. Hell, I think you're supposed to park a foot from the dock so you can open the OH from the outside.
Not hard nowadays with a camera in the back.
Screw that. I get right up on the dock. If I am a foot from the dock then I am having to extend my body way outside my power zone in order to place heavy packages upon or remove them from the dock.
Yet another example of one method conflicting with another.

over9five

Staff member
Screw that. I get right up on the dock. If I am a foot from the dock then I am having to extend my body way outside my power zone in order to place heavy packages upon or remove them from the dock.
Yet another example of one method conflicting with another.
I agree with you.
You asked if they were really telling people that.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
No contact. They used to say that back when I was in Package. Hell, I think you're supposed to park a foot from the dock so you can open the OH from the outside.
Not hard nowadays with a camera in the back.

Like the others have said, I always back all the way to the dock. Leaving a foot between the truck and the dock would be begging to get an injury by either falling or lifting packages out of my power zone. And I always open the rear door from the inside when I'm doing pickups. I drive the old diesel P12 that has a roll up rear door anyway so no problem opening the door at docks. In the new trucks I have seen have the same kind of rear door, so backing all the way to a dock should not be an issue.

Leaf springs, got it. Didn't know the proper terminology for those things. I'm still not sure why the took them away on the new cars. I will say that it makes it easier to get in between two back to back package cars from the outside though.

MC0493

I've noticed newer freightliners seem a little slower than some of the older ones. Same engine and everything, maybe they're detuning them a bit to try and have them last longer lol. Love the screamin eagles that come from them though.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Yes I have a new freightliner I agree the delay is annoying when starting up and going. My guess is to save the transmission, the leaf springs on the back is also something I miss with dock stops. Another thing I would have done is move the light switches over to the right another couple inches, hate trying to hit the ignition switch and hit the cab light with gloves on. Acceleration is awesome but down side is the loud ass beeping for lights on and hazard switch.

sikidiki

Yea the loudness of the beeping is irritating, i heard if you dim the panel light switch almost all the way down its quieter.

MC0493

Yea the loudness of the beeping is irritating, i heard if you dim the panel light switch almost all the way down its quieter.
If you turn the gauge lights off on the newer freightliners it won't beep for the headlights when the truck is off. I just cover the little screen with an info note so i don't get blinded.

rod

Retired 22 years
in my day when the back of your head banged against the bulk head it meant you were close enough to the dock.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The noise level is damn near criminal. Try leaving your lights on at night with your flashers on and your E-Break off. For the love of god you’d think it was the end of days.