New 9.5 question. (Hopefully)

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Most of the rest, at least in my center either were not eligible because they did not work over 9.5 three days a week or were hours hounds and did not want it. I was often limited in my ability to add routes due to either edicts from on high or anticipated staffing. If I was up against one of those barriers the work had to go somewhere.
BS....

.....if each driver you "hammer", one by one, opted onto the list because the last guy opted in....

.....who would you "hammer" then?

How do you buy in that there aren't any other options, beside "hammering" somebody else?

How can that be deemed "in the spirit of the language"?

brownIEman

BS....

.....if each driver you "hammer", one by one, opted onto the list because the last guy opted in....

.....who would you "hammer" then?

How do you buy in that there aren't any other options, beside "hammering" somebody else?

How can that be deemed "in the spirit of the language"?

I'm just telling you my experiences. I call BS on your BS.

I never experienced a domino of 9.5 ers like you describe but if I had I would try to hammer everyone as evenly as possible. Spread the work out. In that scenario the runners would get in well under 9.5, the honest great drivers would get under, the honest ok drivers would get in close and the slackers would get in well over and get paid on their slacker 9.5 grievances.

Dispatching every one at 8 to 9 hours ( of what they claim they can do) and then just leaving the remaining customer's packages on the dock was never an option - if its a choice between honoring the spirit of the contract and serving the customer that's a no brainer.

Above10200

I'm just telling you my experiences. I call BS on your BS.

I never experienced a domino of 9.5 ers like you describe but if I had I would try to hammer everyone as evenly as possible. Spread the work out. In that scenario the runners would get in well under 9.5, the honest great drivers would get under, the honest ok drivers would get in close and the slackers would get in well over and get paid on their slacker 9.5 grievances.

Dispatching every one at 8 to 9 hours ( of what they claim they can do) and then just leaving the remaining customer's packages on the dock was never an option - if its a choice between honoring the spirit of the contract and serving the customer that's a no brainer.
Good in theory but you should look at an 8 hour day for all, if it needs to be over then spread it out throughout all, keep in tabs with the drivers! We need to tell management if we will be over 9.5 by 3, management should know where everyone is at by 3 and adjust help as needed!!!! Fair work for fair pay, fair notification for fair management help!!!!!

brownIEman

Good in theory but you should look at an 8 hour day for all, if it needs to be over then spread it out throughout all, keep in tabs with the drivers! We need to tell management if we will be over 9.5 by 3, management should know where everyone is at by 3 and adjust help as needed!!!! Fair work for fair pay, fair notification for fair management help!!!!!

Overall not a bad thought, but why should I shoot for an 8 for all? What about the guys that want as much OT as they can get?
Send them to help the guys that can't get it done? oops, if I do that I am violating the contract because before I look for people
to help technically I should be doing it by seniority, not those that have said they want more work or those closest.
And if I am constrained by orders from on high as to number of routes, or worse a problem staffing day (such as the yearly Monday
after the Superbowl flu. I swear some day I am going to file for a government grand to study that virus.) I am going to have to load
people up. I will of course try to even as much as possible, but unless the whole center is on the 9.5 list I will have to try to avoid those
guys as much as possible.

There is a huge disconnect in communication at a lot of levels in UPS. Of course, that is true about all large organizations. I know I amuse some drivers on this forum that think I am totally ignorant of what a driver deals with on a daily basis. I am equally amused by the drivers who think they know what management has to deal with (that's not aimed at you Above10200, just kinda doing a stream of consciousness here). Look at my debate earlier with Faceplant about running ground with air. He claimed that he cannot foresee what might happen in his day after leaving the building, so he has to run straight air. Yet he likely, as many drivers do, believe a DPS should be able to foresee everything that every driver in a 75 route center will run into 12 hours before the first drivers punch in. Its laughable.

JackStraw

To be fair, this particular cover driver was one of the best drivers I've ever known, the kind of guy who never made a wasted motion and could seem to remember every package he touched so he never touched one more than twice. I would not expect even the bid drivers to be as good as he was, but they sure as hell could have been better than they were.
By any chance did you work in the upper part of New York State?

Final answer is you can't be on the 9.5 list until the next week because the panel has ruled in favor of UPS on that. No you can't calll them on a Friday and say I want to be on the list you have to file to be on it

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Final answer is you can't be on the 9.5 list until the next week because the panel has ruled in favor of UPS on that. No you can't calll them on a Friday and say I want to be on the list you have to file to be on it

The language is pretty straightforward. Follow it.... and you're good.

"(c) The Employer shall make a reasonable effort to reduce package car drivers’ workdays below nine and one half (9.5) hours per day where requested. If a review indicates that progress is not being made in the reduction of assigned hours of work, (i.e the package driver has worked more than 9.5 hours on three (3) days in a work-week), the following language shall apply, except in the months of November and December:

The affected regular package driver may make such a request to be added to the “9.5 Opt-In List” effective on the first day of his/her workweek after making the request. The driver shall notify the manager and steward of his/her desire to be added to the List. The request must be made within the time limit for filing a grievance in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum. Once the driver has signed the List, he/she shall remain on the list for five (5) months, except for the period of time specified in the prior paragraph."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

You don't have to file a grievance.... to get on the list.

Just grab your Steward and go inform management.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You don't have to file a grievance.... to get on the list.

Just grab your Steward and go inform management.
It doesn't hurt though?

I don't know about you -Bug-, but management that I deal with is not beyond reproach, especially our Labor Manager, who is an accomplished liar.

I believe you know him???

....so having our own documentation seems prudent.

~Bbbl~™