New 9.5 question. (Hopefully)

brownIEman

The problem was, and still is, that very few ever even entertained the notion that the Company was going to listen to us, which I am as comfortable with now as I was then.

Of course very few did. You all were in the thrall of the Teamsters and their "don't fall for it, it's a trap!" line of BS. Now, I can understand why they and you would be skeptical, but that one was a genuine effort to change the entire culture of the organization, ordered from the highest levels. Take the hubs as an example, production pushes were called of completely in many instances. Operations were staffed and run fat. Production fell, as expected. The consultants told UPS that drop would be temporary and the cost increase of it would be more than made up for by fewer damages and fewer service failures (misloads). What actually happened was that the production fell further than anticipated, and the damages and misloads stayed flat or increased.

The irony is that for good reason employees would never believe that the company really meant to listen more to their ideas. The IBT would tell you you would be stupid to do so. And the Company, when it actually DID try to listen more to the employees, got it's teeth kicked in for doing so. So they believe with good reason they would be stupid to ever try it again. And round and round it goes...

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Well, the honk and announce part has always been the method for approaching a stop. Looking under the car and both gates is excessive, and I would qualify both under "be aware of your surroundings". Had I been your sup and done the punch to punch safety follow up ride on your next day at work, I would have down played the check both gates, and under cars as a quick examination as you approach the property. I also would not have hassled you much about the dog bite. I've been bitten on routes, love em, but dogs can be a pain in this line of work.

I can tell you why the center made such a stink about it. At the end of the day, making such a big deal out of it will result in fewer dog bites in the future because drivers will have it in the back of their minds and will be just that little more aware. It was not a personal slight against you. And hey, you got to spend the afternoon hanging out in a waiting room making top rate and the clinic got to gouge old Brown deep pockets. As much as it was a pain for you, it was more expensive for UPS, guaranteed. Did you sue the dog owner? UPS usually does not due to cost/return potential, but I believe the IBT would provide a lawyer to you nearly free of charge correct?

I've been out a little over a year.
Just too damn funny you think I was at a clinic all after noon on easy street. Was givin no help and after about a 4 hour clinic visit went back to delivering after getting couple of shots and wound dressing complete with blood seeping through gauze. Pulled in to ups bout 1030 pm. No matter how they put it, it was a personal attack.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Just too damn funny you think I was at a clinic all after noon on easy street. Was givin no help and after about a 4 hour clinic visit went back to delivering after getting couple of shots and wound dressing complete with blood seeping through gauze. Pulled in to ups bout 1030 pm. No matter how they put it, it was a personal attack.
No offense, but that was your fault for allowing it.
I would have never went back on road that day and they would for sure have paid me my daily guarantee, or for the hours spent in treatment if they were greater.

Likely would have been placed on TAW until the wound healed.

They will push you as far as you let them.
It's a shame you didn't grow a set until after you retired.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

No offense, but that was your fault for allowing it.
I would have never went back on road that day and they would for sure have paid me my daily guarantee, or for the hours spent in treatment if they were greater.

Likely would have been placed on TAW until the wound healed.

They will push you as far as you let them.
It's a shame you didn't grow a set until after you retired.
Lol. You are correct 100%. I gave it my all and now know it wasn't worth it. Although say what you will, I made it .

brownIEman

Well if that's the case the only thing I can say is your center handled dog bites very differently from any center I was associated with or ever heard of.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Well if that's the case the only thing I can say is your center handled dog bites very differently from any center I was associated with or ever heard of.
I'm getting the impression that my huge metropolitan center was the worst at everything

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
How many of those 9.5 violations are a result of over dispatch and how much are drivers working slower than they are capable of safely doing?
All of them. There is zero production standard. So all are on due to over dispatching.
Question, why aren't mall routes scratch?

wide load

I get it. Everyone ever involved in IE is a pinhead twit to you and you will disregard anything any of them say from your smug sense of superiority. Most drivers feel the same way about IE. Admittedly not without some cause...
That's so not true. You took it way overboard. I think it's way simpler that that. I.E. is just simply ignorant.

brownIEman

All of them. There is zero production standard. So all are on due to over dispatching.
Question, why aren't mall routes scratch?

Wrong. There are production standards even if your union refuses to recognize them. I have no beef with that but drivers who get slammed one week, get on 9.5 and then slow their sporh as the route is ratcheted down to stay over 9.5 as retaliation for the heavy week are just as assinine as the center teams that over load the 9.5 guys the last 2 days of the week. And yes both happens.

As to your mall question that is easy. No mall route is going to scratch because the time studies are based mostly on stops and pieces. Stops being the bigger factor in general. Stops are irrelevant in a mall. The measurement would need to be based on trips from the car not stops to have a shot at being close to fair. I have seen malls get close by tweeking - IE would need to make the mall address its own unit and then adjust the allowances in that unit WAY up and adjust over several days till you get close.

wide load

Wrong. There are production standards even if your union refuses to recognize them. I have no beef with that but drivers who get slammed one week, get on 9.5 and then slow their sporh as the route is ratcheted down to stay over 9.5 as retaliation for the heavy week are just as assinine as the center teams that over load the 9.5 guys the last 2 days of the week. And yes both happens.

As to your mall question that is easy. No mall route is going to scratch because the time studies are based mostly on stops and pieces. Stops being the bigger factor in general. Stops are irrelevant in a mall. The measurement would need to be based on trips from the car not stops to have a shot at being close to fair. I have seen malls get close by tweeking - IE would need to make the mall address its own unit and then adjust the allowances in that unit WAY up and adjust over several days till you get close.
So what you're saying is that your technology is flawed? You also know who agrees that there are zero production standards? Arbitrators. And there is countless proof of that. Fix your flawed system so guys like me can maybe take you seriously. Maybe.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

The problem about reducing over 9.5 work is on paper ur 8 hours takes 9.5 hours in general of course. Sporh may drop but customer service and safety increase as well as coping with unforeseen route delays and ocas. Some of us get tired of cutting it so close therefore we slow down to a safe workable pace. Tha complaints in our center are overwhelming because we just don't have time for it especially when our center manager screams that no one is allowed out after 8. Most of us give it our all .

brownIEman

So what you're saying is that your technology is flawed? You also know who agrees that there are zero production standards? Arbitrators. And there is countless proof of that. Fix your flawed system so guys like me can maybe take you seriously. Maybe.

Yes, the technology is not perfect. As soon as we live in a perfect world I'm sure the technology will be perfect and so will all the drivers so we won't have this debate at all.

When I ran dispatch and 9.5 were the flavor of the week when I was instructed to make sure the 9.5 guys did not go over I ignored the plan day when dispatching. I looked at that drivers demonstrated performance. I would often draw them down to what they request for stops on an 8 request. The stop level the driver himself requested for 8. When they stayed out past 9.5 in order to file that had nothing to do with dispatch or technology and every thing to do with a pissed off driver wanting to screw the center.

brownIEman

The problem about reducing over 9.5 work is on paper ur 8 hours takes 9.5 hours in general of course. Sporh may drop but customer service and safety increase as well as coping with unforeseen route delays and ocas. Some of us get tired of cutting it so close therefore we slow down to a safe workable pace. Tha complaints in our center are overwhelming because we just don't have time for it especially when our center manager screams that no one is allowed out after 8. Most of us give it our all .

I agree wth that. My issue is with the slugs that get on the 9.5 and force me to hammer the rest of you. See my reply to wide about trying to plan under 9.5. I didn't use the measurement for that

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I agree wth that. My issue is with the slugs that get on the 9.5 and force me to hammer the rest of you. See my reply to wide about trying to plan under 9.5. I didn't use the measurement for that
Are you implying "the rest" aren't eligible to get on the list?

Have you ever had to plan for that?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Yes, the technology is not perfect. As soon as we live in a perfect world I'm sure the technology will be perfect and so will all the drivers so we won't have this debate at all.

When I ran dispatch and 9.5 were the flavor of the week when I was instructed to make sure the 9.5 guys did not go over I ignored the plan day when dispatching. I looked at that drivers demonstrated performance. I would often draw them down to what they request for stops on an 8 request. The stop level the driver himself requested for 8. When they stayed out past 9.5 in order to file that had nothing to do with dispatch or technology and every thing to do with a :censored2: off driver wanting to screw the center.

Why do you think he was pissed off?

brownIEman

Are you implying "the rest" aren't eligible to get on the list?

Have you ever had to plan for that?

Most of the rest, at least in my center either were not eligible because they did not work over 9.5 three days a week or were hours hounds and did not want it. I was often limited in my ability to add routes due to either edicts from on high or anticipated staffing. If I was up against one of those barriers the work had to go somewhere.

brownIEman

Why do you think he was :censored2: off?

I don't and didn't care. Being ticked off is not an excuse for being a slug. Any more than being ticked off at a driver is an excuse to hammer him 2 days out of 5. There were a number of times it was suggested to me that I load up a slacker on a Friday when they did not have 3 days over. I would invariably fail if I could. No matter how much I might want to, Its not the right thing to do. Neither is dragging your feet.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I don't and didn't care. Being ticked off is not an excuse for being a slug. Any more than being ticked off at a driver is an excuse to hammer him 2 days out of 5. There were a number of times it was suggested to me that I load up a slacker on a Friday when they did not have 3 days over. I would invariably fail if I could. No matter how much I might want to, Its not the right thing to do. Neither is dragging your feet.

Hate to break it to you but all the above happen everyday

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
While all of this nonsense escalates, and the driver mysteriously takes ill at 6pm on a Friday evening instead of "dragging their feet", bringing the load in before it's complete.....

......who gets the last word that night?

I agree, it's not the right thing to do, for anybody, either way.