New 9.5 question. (Hopefully)

brownIEman

Its obvious from your earlier statements you expect runners. Also obvious those 2 slow people dictate your way of thinking

No, I did not expect runners. I said many times, the cover's I spoke about were not runners. The fact that you cannot conceive of what I am describing tells me what has dictated your way of thinking. We will likely have to agree to disagree.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Part of the problem was on the management side on the implementation. But most of the problem was on your side. Don't take my word for it, take your brother's :
As he said, in his building, and across the country, the Teamsters tried to paint the program as hourlies managing hourlies. It was not, it was just giving the hourlies more input into their daily tasks. But look at the culture - yes there was some push back in the management ranks, but not much. Look at the culture UPS management has had for 100 years - when the brass says jump, guess what, we jump. For hourlies, the catch phrase is "Work as directed". For management it's "you have the right to disagree, you do not have the right to disobey." There was grumbling, but in general the management attempted to implement as they were instructed.

Now look at the Teamster's culture. There is a huge governing philosophy of us vs them, that anything the company wants must be bad for the members, so we must resist at every turn. And that is what they did. They actively encouraged employees not to participate in the work group meetings that were the very vehicle for them to give more forceful input into their dispatch and work assignments. In fact, they whined about the term "Team" (I remember an IBT propaganda leaflet with the line "already have a team, the Teamsters") that it was changed to "Work Groups".
The problem was, and still is, that very few ever even entertained the notion that the Company was going to listen to us, which I am as comfortable with now as I was then.

See, I long ago made peace and found comfort in my role as a subordinate.
I actually relish the insulation that it gives me, knowing that if I work as directed, the epic failures around me will land on your shoulders as I push the poop back up the hill.

In the end, I am tasked to preform my duties within the guidelines of at least 340 methods.
If I do my level best to do so, I will stay well ahead of the curve and will safely make it to the finish line with my health and sanity, while you get your head caved in for my unsatisfactory performance numbers.

It's really a beautiful thing when done correctly.

Appvol

I get it. Everyone ever involved in IE is a pinhead twit to you and you will disregard anything any of them say from your smug sense of superiority. Most drivers feel the same way about IE. Admittedly not without some cause...

I bet when you tell people you work for UPS the first thing they tell you is that they love their driver and that pisses you off.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Wow you're dumber then I thought. You don't even know what the Derail button is for. I started this thread. You guys derailed it already. So everyone of your post are a Derail. All I'm saying is don't be a jackAs* and get your movie lines right.
I'm very dumb, so sorry I upset you during our conversations with ie. I hope to quote correctly in the future even if I'm just trying to make a point with the person I'm communicating with. I don't even know what original post was, as with most conversations on here they go to other topics of discussion. In the future I will read every original post and ask your permission to respond if that's ok. I hope you have a wonderful day and hope you accept my heartfelt apology

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

I get it. Everyone ever involved in IE is a pinhead twit to you and you will disregard anything any of them say from your smug sense of superiority. Most drivers feel the same way about IE. Admittedly not without some cause...
Yes that is correct, the same way you look at all drivers because of a few.... Wow, I feel better, how bout you

brownIEman

The problem was, and still is, that very few ever even entertained the notion that the Company was going to listen to us, which I am as comfortable with now as I was then.

See, I long ago made peace and found comfort in my role as a subordinate.
I actually relish the insulation that it gives me, knowing that if I work as directed, the epic failures around me will land on your shoulders as I push the poop back up the hill.

In the end, I am tasked to preform my duties within the guidelines of at least 340 methods.
If I do my level best to do so, I will stay well ahead of the curve and will safely make it to the finish line with my health and sanity, while you get your head caved in for my unsatisfactory performance numbers.

It's really a beautiful thing when done correctly.

I respect that and got along very well with employees who had that attitude. The few that used that position as an excuse to work as little as possible, I had no respect for.

But for the record, there are not 340 methods. 340 is the corporate IE library code for the Driver method book. It never was, and never will be the number of methods.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I respect that and got along very well with employees who had that attitude. The few that used that position as an excuse to work as little as possible, I had no respect for.

But for the record, there are not 340 methods. 340 is the corporate IE library code for the Driver method book. It never was, and never will be the number of methods.
Always assumed?....good to know, I guess.

The "methods" are rewritten daily, but rest assured, you'll never have to tell me twice.

brownIEman

Yes that is correct, the same way you look at all drivers because of a few.... Wow, I feel better, how bout you

I absolutely do not look at all drivers that way. Did you miss my description of the cover driver I had who was the best driver I ever saw? He was rare, but closer to the norm of drivers I dealt with than the two slugs I sited for this conversation. I had utmost respect for most of the drivers I worked with and trained. Can you say the same about even 1 management let alone IE person? If your answer is no, I would say that would be a good indicator of who's thinking is more colored by a few bad experiences.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

I absolutely do not look at all drivers that way. Did you miss my description of the cover driver I had who was the best driver I ever saw? He was rare, but closer to the norm of drivers I dealt with than the two slugs I sited for this conversation. I had utmost respect for most of the drivers I worked with and trained. Can you say the same about even 1 management let alone IE person? If your answer is no, I would say that would be a good indicator of who's thinking is more colored by a few bad experiences.
Few bad experiences? Lol nope, just the norm

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Ahem, we get instructed on new methods and ways of doing things daily. It's up to over 1000 methods we must follow daily to avoid being fired... Still can't believe I made it to retirement outa that hell hole

brownIEman

I bet when you tell people you work for UPS the first thing they tell you is that they love their driver and that pisses you off.

You would lose that bet. Drivers are the face of UPS, and the only thing keeping them profitable at the moment IMO. I have immense respect for drivers. Except for the few slugs who do everything they can to do less work than they are capable of safely doing.

brownIEman

Ahem, we get instructed on new methods and ways of doing things daily. It's up to over 1000 methods we must follow daily to avoid being fired... Still can't believe I made it to retirement outa that hell hole

You did better than I did. I left for greener pastures after 23 years.
That said, it is not over 1000 methods for a driver, no matter what other drivers, stewards, or BA's might tell you.
I don't really expect you to believe me, but I did train many new drivers during my ORS days, so the 340-Method book was a constant companion.

brownIEman

Wow you're dumber then I thought. You don't even know what the Derail button is for. I started this thread. You guys derailed it already. So everyone of your post are a Derail. All I'm saying is don't be a jackAs* and get your movie lines right.

That sounds a touch harsh...
Sorry, for all the derail. In my own defense I will just say this thread was derailed long before I got here, but I sure as crap didn't help... :)

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

That said, it is not over 1000 methods for a driver, no matter what other drivers, stewards, or BA's might tell you.
I don't really expect you to believe me, but I did train many new drivers during my ORS days, so the 340-Method book was a constant companion.
It is over 1000. Probably 1005 by now. For instance... Pulled up to a regular residential, got package , left at door and knocked. Turned around and before I knew it a mangy dog came out from under car a few feet away and latched on to my upper leg for a few seconds. Spent the afternoon at a ups clinic. There was no indication of dogs present. We were all instructed to pull up to each stop, honk, announce loudly we were here, check under cars, check both sides of house for open gates, and told any dog bite would be our fault in future! How's that for good morning?

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

How long have u been gone

542thruNthru

That sounds a touch harsh...
Sorry, for all the derail. In my own defense I will just say this thread was derailed long before I got here, but I sure as crap didn't help... :)

I'm just kidding around. Don't take it so seriously. Though I will kill you!
tenor.gif

Last edited:

brownIEman

It is over 1000. Probably 1005 by now. For instance... Pulled up to a regular residential, got package , left at door and knocked. Turned around and before I knew it a mangy dog came out from under car a few feet away and latched on to my upper leg for a few seconds. Spent the afternoon at a ups clinic. There was no indication of dogs present. We were all instructed to pull up to each stop, honk, announce loudly we were here, check under cars, check both sides of house for open gates, and told any dog bite would be our fault in future! How's that for good morning?

Well, the honk and announce part has always been the method for approaching a stop. Looking under the car and both gates is excessive, and I would qualify both under "be aware of your surroundings". Had I been your sup and done the punch to punch safety follow up ride on your next day at work, I would have down played the check both gates, and under cars as a quick examination as you approach the property. I also would not have hassled you much about the dog bite. I've been bitten on routes, love em, but dogs can be a pain in this line of work.

I can tell you why the center made such a stink about it. At the end of the day, making such a big deal out of it will result in fewer dog bites in the future because drivers will have it in the back of their minds and will be just that little more aware. It was not a personal slight against you. And hey, you got to spend the afternoon hanging out in a waiting room making top rate and the clinic got to gouge old Brown deep pockets. As much as it was a pain for you, it was more expensive for UPS, guaranteed. Did you sue the dog owner? UPS usually does not due to cost/return potential, but I believe the IBT would provide a lawyer to you nearly free of charge correct?

I've been out a little over a year.