New Accident Policy

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Why $20,000?

Who comes up with that kind of figuring?

Probably the same way anyone that goes out with any sort of injury that keeps them out of work for a little while costs the company ~$40K.
If you think about it, after all the paperwork, investigation, blah, blah, blah, it adds up.

FedEx2000

Why $20,000?

Who comes up with that kind of figuring?

I explained it in my post, but i'll try again:

For example: Say we have 20 accidents and the total cost of those 20 accidents is $500,000. Then 500,000/20= $25,000 avg. per accident. Make sense?

FedEx2000

But this is the new policy. If an occurrence is on our record for 3 years and an accident for 5, will they affect our reviews for those periods? If not what's the point of them being on our records? Just an accumulation that could affect our being able to remain in a driving position? If we get an automatic warning letter that has to affect our review also right? So is the warning letter just on us for a certain time or for the entire time the accident or occurrence is?

You're kind of rolling 3 policies into one here, but i'll try to clarify it. As it stands currently, the vehicle safety portion of the review requires a 24 month history of "clean" driving to get a 7.0 in that category. If as a result of an occurence/accident you recieve a WL, you cannot get any higher than a 4.0 (no change there) in that category on your next review (past 12 months). It also prohibits you from applying for other positions for 12 month as a WL always has. The WL will expire after 12 months and will not affect your 2nd review after you received it, but any occurences/accidents that you had in the past 24 months will still be a factor.

The combination of 5/6 moving violation/prev occ/acc over a 36/60 month period is a rolling period. So, occurences don't "drop" after 36 months.....everything is factored in to that 36 or 60 month time frame. And yes, the point of them being on your record is that they will be used to determine if you will remain eligible to be in a driving position. Again, this is largely due to the changes to the FMCSA CSA (Compliance-Safety-Accountability) Program to get us in alignment with their standards.

vantexan

Thanks for the clarification. Not as bad as it sounded but it's still a major hit if you have even a tiny scrape. When was this officially implemented? I got a serious hit on my review last year due to an occurrence that happened almost a full 2 years before. Same occurrence didn't affect me on previous review. Seems to me if they are going to create a new policy it should be from that moment forward. Otherwise they have people thinking that anything possible to affect our raises will be tried. And while it may be in line with Federal guidelines, reducing our raises is, at the very least, a happy byproduct for the company.

FedEx2000

Technically 5/01/11....but there have been a ton of questions as far as how to handle people who when looking back now might be disqualified under the new guidelines etc. Not sure exactly how it is all being handled yet, but we are to check with HR/Safety before issuing any PIP. I'm sure i'll get to find out soon enough. I'm not sure that we can just say from this date everyone has a "clean" slate and anything after it falls under the new regs.....but that would make it a lot easier to apply.

Has to be a FULL two years before it drops completely off your review. If your review is due in say May 2011, the review time frame is April 2010-April 2011, with the exception of vehicle/worker safety which would go back to April 2009. If that occurrence was in the system correctly and within the 3 day time frame as required, the review system would have automatically calculated it in to your review....may want to double check the dates etc....seems odd.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I explained it in my post, but i'll try again:

For example: Say we have 20 accidents and the total cost of those 20 accidents is $500,000. Then 500,000/20= $25,000 avg. per accident. Make sense?

Got it.

I see where it's all dependent on the $ amount of accidents from the year before.

vantexan

If that occurrence was in the system correctly and within the 3 day time frame as required, the review system would have automatically calculated it in to your review....may want to double check the dates etc....seems odd.

It should be off now, it was almost off last review. But I was surprised it affected me at all, didn't the previous year. Thought that was the point of an occurrence, it's minor enough to not count against. Before this new policy of course. You pointed out that a warning letter means an automatic 4 on that category. How much does an occurrence count against us and in the first year of occurrence are we getting hit by both the warning letter and occurrence? Thanks.