New cameras in cab

over9five

Staff member
Sorry if this has its own thread already, but does anybody have a camera installed in their cab,

My hub installed 100 today. They face the driver and send information about hard brakes somewhere. They probably detect impact too.

I heard you can be fired for covering it.
What does your BA say?

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Sorry if this has its own thread already, but does anybody have a camera installed in their cab,

My hub installed 100 today. They face the driver and send information about hard brakes somewhere. They probably detect impact too.

I heard you can be fired for covering it.
I guess no more beating it in the cab?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I don't see how this can be true. This is one thing the company would HAVE TO get approval from the union first.

Any changes to work conditions are mandatory subjects of bargaining. Our contract doesn't have a management rights clause. You should be able to refuse to work until the company removes the camera, or at least allows you to cover the camera, and negotiates with the union over the matter. Know your rights. Don't budge an inch on anything like this. File grievances, and ULP's.

Last edited:

Johney

I don't see how this can be true. This is one thing the company would HAVE TO get approval from the union first.
Any changes to work conditions are mandatory subjects of bargaining. Our contract doesn't have a management rights clause. You should be able to refuse to work until the company removes the camera, or at least allows you to cover the camera, and negotiates with the union over the matter. Know your rights. Don't budge an inch on anything like this. File grievances, and ULP's.
Is anyone sure it’s not already in the contract? Stuck in there without anyone knowing?

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
NorCal Supplement
D8B2D95B-EEFA-4F93-BEBD-74C6CDFDF237.jpeg

GenericUsername

The camera is coupled with a program that tracks eye movements. You are not allowed to wear sunglasses if you have a camera. Basically, they want to make sure youre staring at the mapnav screen all the time.

Yeah, that's a no from me again. I know you're kidding about staring at the mapnav but they seriously couldn't dictate to me that I cannot wear sunglasses. That'd be a lawsuit that wouldn't even make it to court without a settlement.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You gotta like the Bug.

When I saw this thread, I remembered seeing a recent picture of this.

Then.... I was like, "they have already been through this at YRC and Holland in the Freight contract".

"The Employer shall not install any inward facing video cameras/recorders in any vehicles. “Onboard” cameras may not be used for disciplinary purposes under any circumstances."

The National Master Freight Agreement.

:biggrin:

So before everyone gets worked up into a tizzy, and this thread turns into a hundred pages of speculation....

If Freight has this language, so will UPS.

-Bug-

opie

You gotta like the Bug.

When I saw this thread, I remembered seeing a recent picture of this.

Then.... I was like, "they have already been through this at YRC and Holland in the Freight contract".

"The Employer shall not install any inward facing video cameras/recorders in any vehicles. “Onboard” cameras may not be used for disciplinary purposes under any circumstances."

The National Master Freight Agreement.

:biggrin:

So before everyone gets worked up into a tizzy, and this thread turns into a hundred pages of speculation....

If Freight has this language, so will UPS.

-Bug-

I searched but I did not see any explicit language in the UPS contract regarding in-cab cameras.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I searched but I did not see any explicit language in the UPS contract regarding in-cab cameras.

It's there.

Section 6. Technology and Discipline

"No driver shall be discharged based solely upon information received from GPS, telematics, or any successor system that similarly tracks or surveils a driver’s movements unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any intentional act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company)."

It will be re-defined.

Stop worrying.