New contract 22.4 language. Do the math

Hroller

My center has 40 FT RPCD. Under the new contract they are allowed to have 25% Combination Drivers (CD). So with that said....40 RPCD and 10 CD.
The poorly paid CD will work Saturday and Sunday...and fill out the rest of the week with air delivery, vacation fill-in. car loading etc.

But....I'm a bean counter. I will wait for RPCD's to retire and not replace them.
My center will then get down to 36 RPCD and 8 CD.....and work those CD's on the road on a daily basis. Why not....they make less money.....and have NO 9.5 rights!

From managements POV, that is a no brainer.
As a Teamster....let's not screw our future brothers in brown.

Tightupser

My center has 40 FT RPCD. Under the new contract they are allowed to have 25% Combination Drivers (CD). So with that said....40 RPCD and 10 CD.
The poorly paid CD will work Saturday and Sunday...and fill out the rest of the week with air delivery, vacation fill-in. car loading etc.

But....I'm a bean counter. I will wait for RPCD's to retire and not replace them.
My center will then get down to 36 RPCD and 8 CD.....and work those CD's on the road on a daily basis. Why not....they make less money.....and have NO 9.5 rights!

From managements POV, that is a no brainer.
As a Teamster....let's not screw our future brothers in brown.
They are supposed to circle the RPCD in each building and never go below it so the building would have atleast 40 the whole contract

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
They are supposed to circle the RPCD in each building and never go below it so the building would have atleast 40 the whole contract
True, but when his community grows, instead of creating new top rate FT driver jobs they'll make them the lower paid second class hybrid bastard drivers....

The company knows they need to grow, and they're asking current Union members to sell out future members.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
True, but when his community grows, instead of creating new top rate FT driver jobs they'll make them the lower paid second class hybrid bastard drivers....

The company knows they need to grow, and they're asking current Union members to sell out future members.

Financially it is a winner for the Company, these newer 22.4's will always be making 6 dollars less even when they hit top rate in 2022. That four year progression language from what we know now has not changed, once you are progression you will not be getting any of the GWI, your increases are locked till you hit top rate in your classification. The separate seniority list could be a can of worms also.

There is a ton of members who have the time and credits in for retirement with this contract and are eagerly waiting to decide. It will be a mass exodus of job openings in every classification, the money being saved with these 4 year progressions is going to be ridiculous. It now depends on what is offered in these increased Retirement Benefits and the Supplemental Health and Welfare coverage. Raising it from 3400 to 3800 with 30 years in might not be enough, remember you are now paying for your Health and Welfare, currently 150 single and 300 family a month till medicare (65), no supplemental past (65). The question should be asked if they could afford better increases...?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

1) They have to hire 3 FT M-friend driver positions before they can add a 22.4, your POV - invalid

2) When a FT M-friend driver leaves, they are replaced by the highest senior 22.4 (who will make top rate or slot into the FT M-friend progression), not a new hire, your POV - invalid

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Financially it is a winner for the Company, these newer 22.4's will always be making 6 dollars less even when they hit top rate in 2022. That four year progression language from what we know now has not changed, once you are progression you will not be getting any of the GWI, your increases are locked till you hit top rate in your classification. The separate seniority list could be a can of worms also.

There is a ton of members who have the time and credits in for retirement with this contract and are eagerly waiting to decide. It will be a mass exodus of job openings in every classification, the money being saved with these 4 year progressions is going to be ridiculous. It now depends on what is offered in these increased Retirement Benefits and the Supplemental Health and Welfare coverage. Raising it from 3400 to 3800 with 30 years in might not be enough, remember you are now paying for your Health and Welfare, currently 150 single and 300 family a month till medicare (65), no supplemental past (65). The question should be asked if they could afford better increases...?

The current FT M-friend driver 4 year progression starts at $18.50 !!!!
That's in the 2013-2018 Master Contract yet I don't hear the outrage I hear for this.
Also, they are packaging inside work with these 22.4 jobs which I can argue will make them overpaid for sorting or loading cars half the week.

There is no stop density in weekend delivery work which is why we have a lot of centers pulling out of Saturday ground right now.
UPS is losing money trying to make the weekend work in our current format. They tried putting the carriage in front of the horse.
IF the contract passes, UPS can start each area fresh with the 22.4 and open the floodgates with new volume we can't attract this moment.

Everything depends on the contract language which none of us have but we all should be focused on.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
1) They have to hire 3 FT M-friend driver positions before they can add a 22.4, your POV - invalid

2) When a FT M-friend driver leaves, they are replaced by the highest senior 22.4 (who will make top rate or slot into the FT M-friend progression), not a new hire, your POV - invalid
Way to ruin the OPs day.

DELACROIX

That's in the 2013-2018 Master Contract yet I don't hear the outrage I hear for this.
Also, they are packaging inside work with these 22.4 jobs which I can argue will make them overpaid for sorting or loading cars half the week.

There is no stop density in weekend delivery work which is why we have a lot of centers pulling out of Saturday ground right now.
UPS is losing money trying to make the weekend work in our current format. They tried putting the carriage in front of the horse.
IF the contract passes, UPS can start each area fresh with the 22.4 and open the floodgates with new volume we can't attract this moment.

Everything depends on the contract language which none of us have but we all should be focused on.

The 22.4's should not be considered the only problem with this coming contract. I agree when the entire contract is put out to membership, we will start finding other problems associated with pensions and health and welfare. The GWI is basically going to help us break even with the added cost of living and inflation, the risk of losing Overtime is real with these newly created hybrids. The company would of never agreed to it if it was not a money saver, they generally project costs for the long term.

A good question to be asked would be just how much weekly or annually will be going into our individual Pension and Health and Welfare Plans with this contract. This is why the Union wants these positions as stated to improve some of their plan's underfunding, I am thinking that most of the new full time positions will be created were they are most needed. Also we all have to see if there is any improvements in our Health and Welfare benefits, active or retired, we lost ground with that 2013 contract. I for one am paying far more out of pocket for my Health coverage and the retiree's were thrown under the bus with the last one (they could of been red circled), we shall have to see if there are any improvements, remains the same or we end up paying more out of pocket with this one.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day

They do not have to hire an additional rpcd until they reach the 25% cap. But the Package Division Director and UPS President of Labor Relations shall be allowed to adjust the limit based on demonstrated service need.
Which means there is no 25% cap. You will never see another rpcd position added.

Let them deliver Surepost instead of giving it to the Post office.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
The GWI is basically going to help us break even with the added cost of living and inflation,

STOP RIGHT THERE! The raises purposed do NOT cover, match or equal inflation! I have been saying this since the get-go!

People, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD UNDERSTAND THIS!!

DELACROIX

STOP RIGHT THERE! The raises purposed do NOT cover, match or equal inflation! I have been saying this since the get-go!

People, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD UNDERSTAND THIS!!

You are right, I stand corrected. The proposed GWI in this contract will be eaten up quickly by the cost of living and inflation over the next 5 long years. I am hearing only 70 cents for the first year (a 2 percent raise). The company raises their shipping costs 5 to 6 percent annually and increases their surcharges with the over 70's, irregs and extra services. This GWI will never even come close to making up for any possible reductions in overtime that might occur with the hybrids.

542thruNthru

This is true but what's to stop the company from hiring more PT employees so that the 22.4 that use to work some hours in the building now does nothing but drive.

This will help slow down hiring RPCDs. We need language that makes the company use them inside for a certain amount of time. If we don't they are not a combo job they are just drivers paid less.

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This is true but what's to stop the company from hiring more PT employees so that the 22.4 that uses to work some hours in the building now does nothing but drive.

This will help slow down hiring RPCDs. We need language that makes the company use them inside for a certain amount of time. If we don't they are not a combo job they are just drivers paid less.

100% agree with you
The devil is in the details and every Local will be dissecting this contract when it comes off the printing press.
Anyone that has worked a day here knows UPS will try to flip it on us and we have to be careful.