New driver disqualified for road test

off spa

Posting for a friend that is a 5 year part time inside employee that won a bid for full time package car driver. He has went and practiced drove with my center manager three times and was given good feedback. Long story short we now have sufficient number of drivers coming back to work from injuries etc, so we don't need another driver now. He is not sure what to do about this. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

To me it sounds like he failed the center driving test. If the center manager feels the employee can not safely drive a package car he will fail him.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Posting for a friend that is a 5 year part time inside employee that won a bid for full time package car driver. He has went and practiced drove with my center manager three times and was given good feedback. Long story short we now have sufficient number of drivers coming back to work from injuries etc, so we don't need another driver now. He is not sure what to do about this. Thanks everyone for the advice!

He can file a grievance.... protesting the disqualification.

That's all I need to read, if he won a bid, I don't believe they can just take it back.

He signed a "intent" sheet. Awarded, based on seniority. (Just like a bid)

"Practice drove"? Was he ever actually put to work or simply trained?

Failed the road test.

To me it sounds like he failed the center driving test. If the center manager feels the employee can not safely drive a package car he will fail him.

Yep.

Have him ask the center manager what's going on. This forum won't answer your question.

Or.... Talk to your Local Union.

Not everybody "makes it" on their first attempt.

Air Driving.... is a good way to learn the Diad. It Helps. :wink-very:

-Bug-

QKRSTKR

Thanks guys, it was a bid not an intent sheet he signed.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Thats fine. He still has to be able to handle the vehicle in a safe manner. Most people have never driven anything that big. It's different than your car.

oldngray

nowhere special
Some of the new drivers have scared me. It was obvious they were just an accident waiting to happen so it was just a matter of time before they DQ'ed themselves. The ones most likely to make it were ones like preloaders who usually had car shifted so were familiar with the vehicles and also how they were loaded.

off spa

My guy felt like he was overly critiqued. It seems like a he said she said kind of a thing. This road test lets the company pick and choose who they want as drivers. It doesn't matter if you win a bid or not anymore because the company has the upper hand on who they want to drive.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

Same situation happened to one of the Twilight guys. Gave him the biggest piece of junk for the driving test. Nope, you failed. Come back in 6 months. Just another way to pick and choose who the company wants to hire as drivers. On the other hand I keep telling guys to start by driving on Saturday Air to get used to everything. Nope, just want to jump right into the big seat on a Monday morning.

off spa

We have to wait a year before we can rebid after being disqualified. How can someone air drive when they are not a qualified driver?

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
If you can't drive the junk trucks you aren't qualified. People would like to drive nothing but the newest and shiniest equipment but that isn't realistic.

PT Car Washer

We have to wait a year before we can rebid after being disqualified. How can someone air drive when they are not a qualified driver?

Sent using BrownCafe App
I'm talking about an intent sheet, not a bid sheet. More of a pre qualification test. Also the bar for Saturday driving is set a little lower then for FT driver.

PT Car Washer

If you can't drive the junk trucks you aren't qualified. People would like to drive nothing but the newest and shiniest equipment but that isn't realistic.
I agree as a lot of times when I am called in to deliver air in the morning there is not much left to choose from. But to take a new person and expect him or her to drive the biggest junk there is and hold them to a standard very few experienced drivers could pass is not a fair test.

off spa

So what does a guy do in this situation once he has been disqualified? Quit and find another job? He can't live in part time poverty forever.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

You go back and do what you did before you were DQed hopefully. I have seen guys DQed from FT package car driver and deliver air PT and on Saturdays. Gain some experience and try it again if that is what you want. A lot of drivers DQed on their first attempt.

off spa

My boss is saying since he didn't pass the road test he can't drive anything period for one year until he can bid and try again.

Sent using BrownCafe App