New driver disqualified for road test

PT Car Washer

They told the Twilight guy the same thing. He would have to wait a year or maybe 6 months to retake the driving test. I told him to call the Union hall and see what they had to say about all this. I suggest you or your friend do the same. The company tries to make up their own rules at times.

oldngray

nowhere special
I never heard of needing to wait a year if you pass a road test before you actually start trying to qualify as a driver. If you have an accident or get disqualified for any other reason you have to wait a year but I thought you could try a road test again whenever the next bid comes up without any definite time limit. Every road test I saw was a very informal thing with you just driving around a little to demonstrate you knew enough to try to qualify as a driver. Since its so subjective it would be difficult to link it to an exact waiting period before you could try again.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
If you're formally disqualified by the company (UPS sends out a certified letter to the local when this happens) then you have to wait a year. This applies to both package cars and feeders.

off spa

I never heard of needing to wait a year if you pass a road test before you actually start trying to qualify as a driver. If you have an accident or get disqualified for any other reason you have to wait a year but I thought you could try a road test again whenever the next bid comes up without any definite time limit. Every road test I saw was a very informal thing with you just driving around a little to demonstrate you knew enough to try to qualify as a driver. Since its so subjective it would be difficult to link it to an exact waiting period before you could try again.
It should be informal, he hasn't even been to driving school to learn the methods yet.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

The test is informal and subjective. What one evaluator judges to be okay, another fails you on. A lot depends on which package car you test with. I agree a trained driver should be able to jump in any truck on the lot and deliver for the day, but for a drive test all you need to do is demonstrate that you can drive a standard transmission truck safely.

PT Car Washer

Get with your Union business agent and tell him this story. Should at least throw out the part about not trying again for a year. But it is just my opinion.

dogs.bite.me

My boss is saying since he didn't pass the road test he can't drive anything period for one year until he can bid and try again.

Sent using BrownCafe App

That's right. Same thing if you give up driving (DQ yourself; say you don't want to drive anymore) you have to wait 12 mo to get your job back.

That being said, we had a sup come in and failed 4/5 drivers that were being tested. They called the union and got a retest w/a different sup and 4/5 passed this time,

I would find out the reason the sup failed him, and talk to the union about it if its fishy.
Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dogs.bite.me

Isn't it a 2 year wait if you DQ yourself instead of the usual 1 year wait?

We had a lady have a lot of accidents. They were going to fire her, but they gave her the option to DQ herself, She did. 12 mo. later, she was driving again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a lady have a lot of accidents. They were going to fire her, but they gave her the option to DQ herself, She did. 12 mo. later, she was driving again.

We also had a lady who had a lot of accidents--- they created a 22.3 just for her.

Sent using BrownCafe App

dogs.bite.me

We also had a lady who had a lot of accidents--- they created a 22.3 just for her.

Sent using BrownCafe App

These ladies get the vagina treatment, If I did 1/4 of the things she did, I would be gone. This is one instance where the union sucks. Protects the wrong people.

PT Car Washer

That's right. Same thing if you give up driving (DQ yourself; say you don't want to drive anymore) you have to wait 12 mo to get your job back.

That being said, we had a sup come in and failed 4/5 drivers that were being tested. They called the union and got a retest w/a different sup and 4/5 passed this time,

I would find out the reason the sup failed him, and talk to the union about it if its fishy.
The way I read it is nobody DQed themselves. In the opinion of the company driving tester, the tested employee could not safely drive a UPS package car. Should he have to wait a year to be tested again? Some people believe UPS is using the driving test as a way to pick and choose who goes FT driving and subverting the seniority process.

UPSGUY72

It should be informal, he hasn't even been to driving school to learn the methods yet.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The driving test has nothing to do with the methods it to see if the person can safely driver the vehicle. It is given to the person before they waste the money to send them to driving school. The want to be driver / YOU don't have any grievance material that will stick so chalk it up to a learn experience and sign a bid or want to be a driver list in a year. Between now and then practice driving stick.

By the way a driving test is a one time deal mine was about 1/2 hr on a Sat. If the want be driver driver / YOU went out 3 time with a SUP for a drivers test something is wrong...

Also some people fail the road test before they make it out of the parking lot.

The driving if they like test has nothing to do with the methods it to see if the person can safely driver the vehicle. It is given to the person before they waste the money to send them to driving school. The want to be driver / YOU don't have any grievance material that will stick so chalk it up to a learn experience and sign a bid or want to be a driver list in a year. Between now and then practice driving stick.

By the way a driving test is a one time deal mine was about 1/2 hr on a Sat. If the want be driver driver / YOU went out 3 time with a SUP for a drivers test something is wrong...

Also some people fail the road test before they make it out of the parking lot.
It also depends on how bad they need a driver. also depends If they like you, or not!

reginald95

You can take the road test as many times as you can if they have the available staff and road tests appointments are open. If you fail the road test when you are in the actual class or don't pass the class for whatever reason then you have to wait 6 months to reapply. If you get dq while you are on probably you have to wait a year I believe.