new drivers

rebel

I'm sure we are missing out on what could be some very productive drivers. The 10 point and 5 keys are things we do every day but to have to memorize word for word what some person thinks is a great idea is just crazy. This kid knew it just didnt get it word for word. He is a very hard worker and is commited to the company. Things like this is what gives people bad attitudes. Thanks again UPS.

Sure glad I started driving back when UPS was worried about more important things... Like being able to drive a truck that has a manual transmission. Maybe they should let the word for word memorization slide and focus on something else. We have a trainee on the road that can barely get it in gear and stalls the truck on the slightest incline. Last year we had one that couldn't even get the truck off the boxline. What happened to road tests?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Last year we had one that couldn't even get the truck off the boxline. What happened to road tests?

LOL...I saw a road test group out the other day. The trainer or on-road in the package car's jumpseat was talking to the trainee/driver and distracted the driver. I thought the package car and the vehicle I was in came faaaar too close! -Rocky

JustTired

free at last.......
It's just part of the Ketter audit that someone in Corporate Health and Safety agreed to have on the audit.

I know what a Ketter audit is...... but who are these people and what makes them so high and mighty. They probably couldn't deliver a pkg if you pulled up to the front of the house and pointed to the front door. Maybe we should ask them a bunch of useless questions when they come around. Like........

1. Who were the founders of UPS?

2. What was the first vehicle used by the company?

3. What do you do with all the money you're overpaid to ask stupid questions and demand "word for word" answers to?

4. Would you please go up and grab that "smoking , leaking pkg" on the belt?

End of interogation.......

upsdude

Ten point commentary, 5 seeing/driving habits, lifting and lowering keys, yada yada yada. Bottom line, drivers are still having accidents, but they can memorize the commentary and pass the online testing. Hey UPS, maybe you’re missing something here. Maybe you need to focus on “how to” as opposed to “what are”.

Hey Mikey, how about getting IE on that right away.:thumbup1:

NI1

Back in the day, we dont have 'driving school'. I had a supervisor ride with me 3 months ago and asked me what a 10p commentary is and I go "i dont know but i guarantee you i am doing it".lol

Brownnblue

To disqualify drivers because they cannot memorize word for word, but yet understand the concepts, is absurd.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

With the unbelievably pathetically horrible training that we drivers receive, the focus should be more on learning, applying, and fine tuning those concepts, not on memorization skills.

CLASSROOM TRAINING. DO YOU HEAR ME?

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Is it possible to get this info? I'm going to driving school soon.
5 Seeing Habits
Aim High In Steering
Get The Big Picture
Keep Your Eyes Moving
Leave Yourself An Out
Make Sure They See You

10 Point Commentary (in the order I can best remember them, maybe not the "official" order but I don't think that matters).

1. Leave ONE car length at stop lights.
2. Count one, TWO three before proceeding at a green light.
3 Look left, right, left before proceeding through an intersection.
4. FOUR to six seconds following distance under thirty MPH/ six to eight seconds over thirty MPH.
5. Check mirrors every FIVE to eight seconds.
6. Scan steering wheels in parking lots.
7. Stale green lights.
8. EIGHT to twelve seconds eye lead time.
9. Check over shoulder before pulling from a stop.
10. Make sure they see you - make eye contact.

This is not comprehensive but it sure helps me to concentrate after 30 yrs. of pkg. car driving; the last 23 of which have been without an accident.

cast

Just learn all of them 10 point ,8 rules of backing,8 keys to lifting and lowering and 5 keys to preventing slips and falls and when you are asked to say them just rattle them off word for word. I have found it keeps the sups off my back.

For those who say they will not learn these off the clock I will agree with that. The way I learned them is I would just pull over toward the end of my day and study for 10 minutes . Its not like it takes alot of time to get them down. Do this for a week and you will know all of them.

P

PASSUBY

I will be going to school in about one week. I took the "5 Seeing Habits" and "
10 Point Commentary" then recorded my voice on CD. Every morning when going to work I listen to what I have recorded word for word and also in the evening when coming home.
The past two weekends I have listened to them on my IPOD while looking at the the notes I have. I'm almost to the point when I wake up in the morning this is the first thing I think about.

I HAVE TO PASS THIS TEST NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

RozUPS

Thanks going to class next week

5 Seeing Habits
Aim High In Steering
Get The Big Picture
Keep Your Eyes Moving
Leave Yourself An Out
Make Sure They See You

10 Point Commentary (in the order I can best remember them, maybe not the "official" order but I don't think that matters).

4. FOUR to six seconds following distance under thirty MPH/ six to eight seconds over thirty MPH.
7. Stale green lights.

This is not comprehensive but it sure helps me to concentrate after 30 yrs. of pkg. car driving; the last 23 of which have been without an accident.

5 Seeing Habits
Aim High In Steering
Get The Big Picture
Keep Your Eyes Moving
Leave Yourself An Out
Make Sure They See You

7. Stale green lights.

Thank you for posting this..

I am supposed to take a road test soon to start driving saturday air, but no one can tell me if I have to go to driving school or not..

Griff

Oregon Ave in Philly.

Have fun driving that queer schoolbus/truck with windows in center city at rush hour. Never understood why they make everyone drive in that, 90% of the drivers who go through oregon avenue aren't going to be working in center city.

bad company

semi-pro
I went to school in Roswell GA about a month ago and it was pretty fun. The computer-based tests are really easy and they give you way too much time to finish them. I usually finished up with about 30 mins or longer left to spare and relaxed in the break room.

Yes you do have to memorize 10 point commentary and 5 seeing HABITS verbatim... What helped me the most was getting some worksheets HR had made up, and writing them out over and over again...

When you take your driving test in the "school bus/truck with windows" your objective is to demonstrate your knowledge and use of the 10 point commentary and 5 seeing habits. So in theory, the driving portion of your test at school could take as little as 5 minutes or much, much longer.

It does get embarrassing riding in the :censored2: bus if one of your classmates can't drive a stick shift (people look at you really weird and all you can do is look out the window and smile). I don't know about other centers or school locations, but the one in Roswell is a P700 with a Spicer. Be sure to practice on a Spicer before going to school, the gears on a Spicer are very close to each other and it is very easy to shift into the wrong gear...that seemed to be the biggest weakness in my class.

Good luck...

P.S. Do not be intimidated by your instructor. Remember that it is their job to be demanding and strict. As my instructor always said, "It is YOU who will determine whether or not you will pass this class, not me"