New England Contract - How long are part-timers required to work?

Dr.Brownz

Or demand the job stay with in the parameters you were given when hired.

Yeah no :censored2:, what do these people expect? They tell someone the job is 6-10 and then immediately they start with come in at 4 and leave at midnight, and then management is surprised when people quit and they can't keep the place staffed. Genius's

wilberforce15

Which are:
You work until the work is done and the sort is over.

Unless I missed something or forgot to make some kind of handshake deal with the sort supervisor way back when I started.

Every HR office I've seen has signs advertising and describing the shifts, with wider than normal parameters.

Twilight: 5-10
Midnight: 11-3
Preload:4-9

And things like that.

And then they hire you for twilight and fire you for not being able to come in at 4 or stay until 11.

That's deceptive and wrong. No UPS HR person is going to properly warn these people that UPS can change those hours, and you can be fired for not being available at an hour you weren't told when hired.

I was able to rearrange classes I teach, kids I supervise, and a bunch of other things to be able to keep a job. I shouldn't have to do any of that. I was willing to remain available for every single hour I promised UPS, and every single hour the HR sign said. Then UPS changed the terms. That ain't right.

HR knows they aren't telling people the truth about hours and obligations. That makes me side with any PTer for any reason in cases like this.

wilberforce15

UPS: "Hey, you wanna work 5-10?"

PTer: "Sure."

(1 month later)

UPS: "Come in at 4 or you're fired."

PTer: "WTF?"

Teamster: "What, you don't wanna work or something? You PTers suck."

LarryBird

Every HR office I've seen has signs advertising and describing the shifts, with wider than normal parameters.

And things like that.

And then they hire you for twilight and fire you for not being able to come in at 4 or stay until 11.

That's deceptive and wrong. No UPS HR person is going to properly warn these people that UPS can change those hours, and you can be fired for not being available at an hour you weren't told when hired.

I was able to rearrange classes I teach, kids I supervise, and a bunch of other things to be able to keep a job. I shouldn't have to do any of that. I was willing to remain available for every single hour I promised UPS, and every single hour the HR sign said. Then UPS changed the terms. That ain't right.

HR knows they aren't telling people the truth about hours and obligations. That makes me side with any PTer for any reason in cases like this.
This is a dynamic job where UPS can't possibly know exactly what hours will be needed to process the work and insure our customers receive the service they pay for and expect from us.

The hours are based on their best estimates, and are pretty accurate for the most part - sometimes there's heavy days/weeks or staffing issues that aren't totally in their control.

If you've got school or full-time job obligations and you make management at UPS aware of it ahead of time, they're usually happy to work with you, if it's at all possible.

I'm no UPS apologist or company man. But what exactly are they supposed to do? Shut the sorts down and leave packages at the building because they're not wrapped by the usual time that day?

Part-timers are a dime-a-dozen to this company, and they always have been. They come and go like it's a revolving door and nothing at all changes. The job gets done by the jaded vets making decent money with free bennies, or the job gets done with a new replacement making less dough, but it gets done either way.

LarryBird

Here's the thing about working part-time at UPS imo...

This is not a job for everyone, and there's much easier part-time jobs out there that pay just as much to start or more. If you're just looking for a PT job to make a few dollars, this is not really the best place for you. If you've got a FT job that you plan to stay at indefinitely, and you're just looking for a second job for a few extra dollars, there's much more flexible and less physical jobs out there for you where you can do that.

This is a place where you start part-time with the intention of going driving FT or you're looking for a permanent PT second job for the free health benefits and the perks you don't have at your other job(construction workers etc) - paid vacation, a pension, and the ability to make $30 an hour years down the road while working part-time.

Those people who fit into those two categories are the ones who seem to have the most successful part-time experience at UPS, for both themselves, and the company. They don't tend to quit. Ever. They will retire from UPS.

It's easy to eat :censored2: and roll with the punches when you're looking down the road to greener pastures with that goal of becoming a FT driver in mind. It's easy to stay on as a second job part-timer for 30 years when the UPS job is providing you with things your other job doesn't, that you need either now, down the road, or both - the bennies, the pension, the high paying supplemental income in the future as your abilities to succeed in your current day job diminish(ala construction etc like I mentioned).

These are the people who belong and make it at UPS. The students and lower wage white collar workers always think it's a good job for them, and UPS makes it sound that way, but it rarely seems to work out for neither them or the company in most instances - of course there are obvious exceptions to this.

Tom Jefferson

And things like that.

the warehouse manager or whatever his is just told me that we have to come in at 2PM every Monday (was 5 - 10 I thought)... l0l and HR never told me this. I was just doing the class training and was even told to stay after I was done. everyone else went home

LarryBird

the warehouse manager or whatever his is just told me that we have to come in at 2PM every Monday (was 5 - 10 I thought)... l0l and HR never told me this. I was just doing the class training and was even told to stay after I was done. everyone else went home
Need more deetz...

Why did you need to stay after when everyone else had left? Was it a seniority thing, where people with most seniority are given the option to bounce first?

Were you explicitly told that the hours are 5pm to 10pm by the FT sort manager or is this an assumption you made? And if you were told this, why do you now need to come in at 2pm every Monday when you were previously told 5pm?

Tom Jefferson

Need more deetz...

Why did you need to stay after when everyone else had left? Was it a seniority thing, where people with most seniority are given the option to bounce first?

Were you explicitly told that the hours are 5pm to 10pm by the FT sort manager or is this an assumption you made? And if you were told this, why do you now need to come in at 2pm every Monday when you were previously told 5pm?
the people that came in to train with me all left and 2 of us stayed behind to help in the warehouse. I applied for 5 - 10PM and was not told every Monday we have to come in at 2PM

LarryBird

the people that came in to train with me all left and 2 of us stayed behind to help in the warehouse. I applied for 5 - 10PM and was not told every Monday we have to come in at 2PM
To me, the 1st part sounds like you were asked if you could help out tonight and you said yes.

As for the second part, if you're unable to make it for 2pm, wait until you're definitely hired, which is sounds like you already are, and tell him ahead of time that you're unable to make it for 2pm because of other obligations but you'll get there as soon as possibly can. Then come in when you're able to get there. They will work with you.

Don't be like 'hey I was hired for 5pm-10pm, not 2pm". That won't fly well, and they're gonna tell you there's no set hours and :censored2: off if you don't like it.

Aren't you the guy who wants to be driving by Christmas or was that someone else?

Tom Jefferson

To me, the 1st part sounds like you were asked if you could help out tonight and you said yes.

As for the second part, if you're unable to make it for 2pm, wait until you're definitely hired, which is sounds like you already are, and tell him ahead of time that you're unable to make it for 2pm because of other obligations but you'll get there as soon as possibly can. Then come in when you're able to get there. They will work with you.

Don't be like 'hey I was hired for 5pm-10pm, not 2pm". That won't fly well, and they're gonna tell you there's no set hours and :censored2: off if you don't like it.

Aren't you the guy who wants to be driving by Christmas or was that someone else?
Yeah I did agree to stay. I kind of made it sound like I was forced. Yeah I do, which is why I won’t be late ever. Nor will I be doing any call outs. Any tips for a loader? That’s my shift tomorrow

LarryBird

Yeah I did agree to stay. I kind of made it sound like I was forced. Yeah I do, which is why I won’t be late ever. Nor will I be doing any call outs. Any tips for a loader? That’s my shift tomorrow
Sure, I started out in the load back in the day, myself, so I can give you a few pointers.

It's so :censored2:ing simple, a drunken monkey can do it, and if PETA wouldn't object, UPS would've already been utilizing them for years now.

But seriously, just check the labels thoroughly to avoid misloads and do your best to build walls using packages similar to the way you'd use bricks if you were building a house like this:
[___][___][___][___][___][___][___]
__][___][___][___][___][___][___][___]
[___][___][___][___][___][___][___]
This will you keep your walls sturdy and they won't fall on your head or the guys head who has to unload your walls down the road.

Leave a bit of space at the top (don't build it to the ceiling) and you can toss bags and small, light packages up there to fill out the space.

Leave a bit of space in between when you're starting your next wall, you can put small packages and stuff thats flat or long behind the wall you're currently building. This will let you use the square/rectangular boxes to keep the walls semi-regular and better utilize the cross bracing technique(think bricks).

Work at a smooth, steady pace, and don't kill yourself trying to keep up with the flow of packages. You'll have time to clean up what falls off the rollers and get caught up when the bldg goes down or whatever, and if you don't, they'll send help to push back and help you out. But don't be the slacker.

If your roller line in pretty much clear, and you see your neighbors are getting whacked - get out of your truck and go clean up and push back for them. A little teamwork helps keep everything running smoothly. The trucks have a tendency to get hit in waves, meaning certain trailers in the unload will hit certain trailers in the load harder than others, and many of the pallets in the unload will be made up of entirely packages headed for a single trailer in the outbound load. That's what I mean by waves and why you'll have a chance to get cleaned/caught up after you get smoked as long as you just keep loading at a smooth and steady pace.

Ignore their fake package per hour production numbers. Work at a fair and safe pace. No more and no less - you'll know what that pace should be fairly quickly. You'll be a pro within 2 weeks.

If you're sore after work/the next day at first, that's totally normal. It's an extremely physical and fast paced job. There's very few like it, and even fewer where you're gonna work harder in your life. If you can make it at UPS in the load, you can make it just about anywhere. You're basically getting paid to work out. If you're fat, expect to lose plenty of weight. You'll be in the best shape of your life in short order.

Good luck, hope this helped. Don't really know what else I could add. The sups will train you a bit. But you're pretty much just tossed to the deep end and they let you figure out how to swim or drown.

Last edited:

LarryBird

If you want to drive, don't let them get to you and frustrate so much that you end up quitting. There will be those days. :censored2: em. Keep your mind on your goal and ignore the part time sups production haggling. It's just part of their job.

If you feel like you're getting your balls busted unfairly, speak to your steward about it. Don't lose your temper, flip out, and get yourself in trouble.

There WILL be those days. I can promise you that.

Last edited:

LarryBird

It’s called having a job
I love these people saying UPS is firing them for not being able to come into a sort at an earlier than normal time. I've never seen a union employee even get disciplined for this if they had a valid reason why it wasn't possible, nevermind getting fired.

What I've seen is "ok, no problem...get here as soon as it's possible". It might be different elsewhere, but somehow I really doubt it. Back when I worked the sort and had a full-time job that made it difficult for me to even make it on time every day, the sort manager came to me and said "what time can we start you that works for you and insures you can be on time everyday - how about 5:30pm"? This was when they were starting the sort at my building around 3pm.

If you're not in the union and still probationary or you're a seasonal, all bets are off.

wilberforce15

This is a dynamic job where UPS can't possibly know exactly what hours will be needed to process the work and insure our customers receive the service they pay for and expect from us.

The hours are based on their best estimates, and are pretty accurate for the most part - sometimes there's heavy days/weeks or staffing issues that aren't totally in their control.

If you've got school or full-time job obligations and you make management at UPS aware of it ahead of time, they're usually happy to work with you, if it's at all possible.

I'm no UPS apologist or company man. But what exactly are they supposed to do? Shut the sorts down and leave packages at the building because they're not wrapped by the usual time that day?

Part-timers are a dime-a-dozen to this company, and they always have been. They come and go like it's a revolving door and nothing at all changes. The job gets done by the jaded vets making decent money with free bennies, or the job gets done with a new replacement making less dough, but it gets done either way.

They are a dime a dozen, but it hasn't always been that way. There wasn't a revolving door when they were paid decently.

And yes, they can just simply decide to tell the truth. They can advertise the job as usually 4-5 hours, usually within 5pm to 10pm, and list how that sometimes changes based on need.

I side with the people who got lied to, not the people who lied.

The Range

In too deep
I took a look at the contract and there is no mention of how long part-timers are required to work, intentionally vague, I'm sure. I was always told that i can leave after 5 hours, however transferring to a smaller building, they said they could make me stay until the work is finished. I'm hearing horror stories of peak season where they don't leave until 2:30 AM. I did not sign up for 9 hour shifts. I have other priorities. Anyone know?

Employees in good standing at your old hub left at 5 hours because the company didn't want to confront the issue of cutting by seniority on a large scale, as cuts were made well before 5 hours even on the longest days - ie there was never a situation where all high seniority part-timers were required to stay after 5 hours. An exception would be individuals on the "naughty list". I am sure you've witnessed them bounced around well past 5 hours while lower seniority employees were cut en masse. Now that you're at a smaller hub, you could be required to stay after 5 hours/until individuals with less seniority than you are cut.

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Back when I was first starting out , midnight 12-3 am. Preloaded always asked for extra help. It got to the point where it was normal for them to force the whole shift to stay. One guy who was still in school , had to pull too many extra shifts that on some nights , the preload guys would make him a hiding spot to sleep in. So that he could get some rest before going to school.