New hire and already planned holiday

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK right. sorry.
When he went to talk to the woman who handles the processing, she asked him when he could start. Of course he flat out forgot and said he could start asap. But the paperwork hasn't been processed, he goes back tomorrow. He's hoping its as easy as saying, you know I forgot about that holiday,I'd like to start sept 5. He's also not coming on as union, as he's being hired as a temporary. But I dont know if that makes any difference.

You want them to hold his job until 9/5 so that you guys can hop across the pond for holiday?

LuckyDucky

You want them to hold his job until 9/5 so that you guys can hop across the pond for holiday?
I'd like them to allow him a later start date, yes. Many people cant start immediately, its not unusual. And it might be the case, and it might not be the case, that they are willing to cut him the slack. If its possible it would be better for all concerned to have a happy new employee.

Gear

Parts on Order
PE is a skilled position. He needs to ask/inform them asap. More then likely they will allow him the time off with out pay. He will not be paid for the time. I'd be willing to bet there isnt a line of possible new hires standing inline behind him. The test he passed would've weeded all the goofballs.

This guy didnt apply for an unskilled driver position, he will be treated differently then a guy who gets the job because of seniority.

Gear

Parts on Order
Its a fact. You guys are responding with posts about how it would be for you. You become a driver because of seniority. This guy has a skill and passed technical tests. Its completely different, thats how it is. He will be treated different. You may not like the facts but they are still facts.

Last edited:

Gear

Parts on Order
Then state your facts without your condescending opinion.

UPS driver is an unskilled position.
Feeder driver is skilled because they have a CDL and drive doubles and triples.
Mechanics are skilled because its a skilled position.
PE is skilled because its a skilled position.

Its not meant to be condescending, its just facts. It takes weeks or months to fill PE and Mechanic positions.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
yah know, if I could drive on the other side of the road with the wheel on the other side of the car it might make more sense for just me and our five year old to go on our own. Or even take a friend, if it comes to that which I am so hoping it doesnt. But not being able to drive would be a huge pain in the butt.
You don't know how to drive a vehicle?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
UPS driver is an unskilled position.
Feeder driver is skilled because they have a CDL and drive doubles and triples.
Mechanics are skilled because its a skilled position.
PE is skilled because its a skilled position.

Its not meant to be condescending, its just facts. It takes weeks or months to fill PE and Mechanic positions.
You need a special license for package car too.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
No we didn't relocate for the job at all. Relocated to be closer to family. We/he just answered an online ad and he went in for the interviews/test.

I wont be surprised if they say no. I'll be sad.

Did he hit the jackpot getting the job? Do you think? Or is it not such a big deal. He was working via the Millwright Union for a bit, paid extraordinarily well but was off and on and involved travel, not to mention six weeks, 12 hour days with no days off, is harder when you're not in your twenties.
Don't be sad I'll go with