New hire and already planned holiday

LuckyDucky

You don't know how to drive a vehicle?
We were talking about our trip to England, (or rather potential trip,) and the possibility of going on my own without my husband. But, its true, I am not comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road from that which I"m accustomed. And the steering wheel is on the right side as opposed to the left as here in the states. I'm sure professional drivers would be able to handle it, and my husband is british so it doesnt bother him. But me, it is really scary. And the roundabouts, these crazy freeway offramp system they have in England, its brutal.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We were talking about our trip to England, (or rather potential trip,) and its true, I am unable to drive safely on the opposite side of the road when the steering wheel is on the opposite side of the car than it is here in the states.
And you know this how?

It's still driving a car. Not rocket science. Unless you're a female or Asian or God help us both.

Brownslave688

You need a special license to ride a moped. My 21 yo boy drives a P13 with over 400 delivery pieces and 400 pick up pieces and bonus's up to an hour each day but he can't ride a moped.
I'm not trying to argue driving is equal to plant engineering. However to say it's unskilled is an ignorant statement.

LuckyDucky

And you know this how?

It's still driving a car. Not rocket science. Unless you're a female or Asian or God help us both.

Im sorry, I'm unclear. 'You know this how?" You mean how do I know that I'm uncomfortable driving on the opposite side of the road in England. Because I"ve tried and its scary.

LuckyDucky

I'm not trying to argue driving is equal to plant engineering. However to say it's unskilled is an ignorant statement.
There are two discussions going on here. The first was about whether my husband would be able to start his new job at UPS later than right away, because we have had a holiday in the UK planned for sometime. The second conversation started when someone said the job my husband was hired for, PE Maintenance Mechanic, is more skilled than a UPS driver and therefore he will be given more leeway. I didn't say that. I'm a guest here, I wouldnt say that about anyones skills.

Brownslave688

There are two discussions going on here. The first was about whether my husband would be able to start his new job at UPS later than right away, because we have had a holiday in the UK planned for sometime. The second conversation started when someone said the job my husband was hired for, PE Maintenance Mechanic, is more skilled than a UPS driver and therefore he will be given more leeway. I didn't say that. I'm a guest here, I wouldnt say that about anyones skills.
And I didn't quote you when I mentioned it.

I'm well aware of the fact that I'm having a conversation with 2 different people.

DOK

It can go either way, ups is sometimes funny about giving new hires off even if the vacation is planned. My perspective though is from being in operations, I've seen it go either way.

If he does have to chose between the two, for me the choice would be taking the job over the vacation. For this job anyway, not the easiest thing getting into UPS.

LuckyDucky

It can go either way, ups is sometimes funny about giving new hires off even if the vacation is planned. My perspective though is from being in operations, I've seen it go either way.

If he does have to chose between the two, for me the choice would be taking the job over the vacation. For this job anyway, not the easiest thing getting into UPS.
I agree. I've asked several times here if we were very lucky that he was offered the job, but no one has said a thing one way or the other.

DOK

I agree. I've asked several times here if we were very lucky that he was offered the job, but no one has said a thing one way or the other.
But again my reference is from being a driver. His craft is probably in higher demand on the job market than ours. Good luck!