New hire and already planned holiday

Re-Raise

Okay Gear here is where we disagree. You told Lucky the company would be mich more willing to work around her husband's vacation than they would be willing to work around a driver's vacation because he is unskilled and only got his promotion to full-time because of seniority.

I couldn't disagree more. Why would someone who scored well on a test but had never worked one day for the company be allowed more leeway than an employee who had worked here for years to get a promotion?

I put more value on showing up and performing the job than I put on a test.

I went to a college with a lot of people who scored well on the ACT and SATs who failed because they didn't do the work needed.

trickpony1

Hey Lucky!
I typed "3 phase motor theory explained" into my favorite search engine and got all sorts of info on 3 phase.

Has your hubby tried searching the topic?

LuckyDucky

Hey Lucky!
I typed "3 phase motor theory explained" into my favorite search engine and got all sorts of info on 3 phase.

Has your hubby tried searching the topic?
Just starting to work on it. I have done some google searches. Yep that is the next project, getting together all the info. Thank you!

LuckyDucky

He starts on monday! Background check completed. Thank you so much everyone for talking with me and answering my questions and also providing some humour in the day. Maybe when my little one goes to school I should look at getting a job at ups. But I hate the idea of having to shave everyday. ( just kidding)

Gear

Parts on Order
Okay Gear here is where we disagree. You told Lucky the company would be mich more willing to work around her husband's vacation than they would be willing to work around a driver's vacation because he is unskilled and only got his promotion to full-time because of seniority.

I couldn't disagree more. Why would someone who scored well on a test but had never worked one day for the company be allowed more leeway than an employee who had worked here for years to get a promotion?

I went to a college with a lot of people who scored well on the ACT and SATs who failed because they didn't do the work needed.

I dont know, Im out of gas on this. Most replies from drivers seem to lean towards the company not working with the newly hired employee. Most believing there is no way he'll get the time off. I replied that the skill set he was bringing to the company will be all the leverage he needed to get the time off, and that they would give him the time off. In the end the company gave him the time off. Its supply and demand. The higher the skill level equals less supply of skilled workers. Which makes any company, including UPS willing to bend or just be reasonable to fill the position. Some of you guys are so hard headed, you believe if they wouldnt allow you to do it, there is no way its possible for someone else. My job comes with way less stress than yours. I would assume PE has it better than us. Thats how the world works. We all make the same hourly rate. The difference is how hard we have to work to earn it.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider an unskilled job? We can argue all jobs are skilled because everything takes some type of skill to complete. But that just seems like a new age "safe zone" kind of thing to say. Like saying everyone wins, but in reality there can only be one 1st place.

Maybe I could've worded it better. Im not PC, I dont believe in safe zones or am I worried about hurting people's feelings. Im a, "It is what it is" kind of guy.

Re-Raise

Don't worry about hurting my feelings. Your opinion isn't really that important to me.

I guess the skilled verses unskilled comment is what caught my attention. I would never refer to anyone else's job as unskilled. I feel if soneone is willing to pay them to do it and they are able to perform their job duties, than they have that "skill".

I know a lot of people who perform so called blue collar or white collar jobs. I don't care to define their percieved "skill".

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I dont know, Im out of gas on this. Most replies from drivers seem to lean towards the company not working with the newly hired employee. Most believing there is no way he'll get the time off. I replied that the skill set he was bringing to the company will be all the leverage he needed to get the time off, and that they would give him the time off. In the end the company gave him the time off. Its supply and demand. The higher the skill level equals less supply of skilled workers. Which makes any company, including UPS willing to bend or just be reasonable to fill the position. Some of you guys are so hard headed, you believe if they wouldnt allow you to do it, there is no way its possible for someone else. My job comes with way less stress than yours. I would assume PE has it better than us. Thats how the world works. We all make the same hourly rate. The difference is how hard we have to work to earn it.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider an unskilled job? We can argue all jobs are skilled because everything takes some type of skill to complete. But that just seems like a new age "safe zone" kind of thing to say. Like saying everyone wins, but in reality there can only be one 1st place.

Maybe I could've worded it better. Im not PC, I dont believe in safe zones or am I worried about hurting people's feelings. Im a, "It is what it is" kind of guy.
You sound like a pompous prick to me
But I'am just a truck driver

Nimnim

The Nim

It's really quite simple. If UPS is having trouble getting someone on the outside who can meet their standards for PE, they're going to be willing to work with their schedule as it is probably going to take longer to find someone else to fill the position than wait for the person they know can work to be available.

A new driver they picked from the top of the seniority list is technically no more qualified than someone 20 places down the list in UPSs eyes because of seniority. They only know that they're struggling to find someone who can meet their standards for PE so if they have to wait a little for their commitment it'll be worth it, vs a new PC driver who isn't any more experienced in doing the PC delivery than the next 20 people who may want to do it, but they'll train the potential PC driver instead of expecting them to know everything already.

If you were to fill a position and you have 1 candidate that qualifies and it took you 6 months to find them you'd be more willing to work with their vacation than if you had to fill a position that will involve training and you have a dozen people who could qualify after the training. Anyone who said they couldn't start immediately while the training started would be told to come back later as there were others who could start immediately.

Edit: I'm not saying any person isn't worth their merit, I'm just saying to UPS and their hiring/promotion practices the skills that they expect from outside hires for certain positions allow for different expectations versus what the standards are for promotions through bidding from within.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

It's really quite simple. If UPS is having trouble getting someone on the outside who can meet their standards for PE, they're going to be willing to work with their schedule as it is probably going to take longer to find someone else to fill the position than wait for the person they know can work to be available.

A new driver they picked from the top of the seniority list is technically no more qualified than someone 20 places down the list in UPSs eyes because of seniority. They only know that they're struggling to find someone who can meet their standards for PE so if they have to wait a little for their commitment it'll be worth it, vs a new PC driver who isn't any more experienced in doing the PC delivery than the next 20 people who may want to do it, but they'll train the potential PC driver instead of expecting them to know everything already.

If you were to fill a position and you have 1 candidate that qualifies and it took you 6 months to find them you'd be more willing to work with their vacation than if you had to fill a position that will involve training and you have a dozen people who could qualify after the training. Anyone who said they couldn't start immediately while the training started would be told to come back later as there were others who could start immediately.

Edit: I'm not saying any person isn't worth their merit, I'm just saying to UPS and their hiring/promotion practices the skills that they expect from outside hires for certain positions allow for different expectations versus what the standards are for promotions through bidding from within.
All I got from your post was that they can get by for any length of time without someone in the PE position and no one would really notice.

Not so good when a package car sits in the building full of packages because there is no one to deliver them.

trickpony1

Can someone help me understand why what the OP did is sexist?

There are many men, some of whom are UPS employees, that help their wives, financially and academically, achieve advanced degrees to improve their professional lives.

The bottom line is both members of the relationship benefit.

I'm trying to keep up......I really am.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

There are many men, some of whom are UPS employees, that help their wives, financially and academically, achieve advanced degrees to improve their professional lives.

You're the only person who has called it sexist.

We have only said it's pathetic that a grown man can't find his own job or even fill out the application.

My wife doesn't start a thread about it. I can ask for myself