New hire and already planned holiday

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I know. You guys come in, work way harder and take way more heat from management than I do for the same hourly rate. Its the skill needed for the job that makes the difference.
I'm not denying it takes a special skill to be a mechanic. It also takes a special skill to be a ups driver. Just because the skills sets aren't the same doesn't mean they are non existent.

By The Book

Well it was worry over nothing. John told them that he had the holiday planned and that he could either start work when he returned or start and then leave for the holiday. They said they really needed him asap, so he starts as soon as his background check is finished, they said the coming monday. There wasn't even any discussion about whether he could go on the holiday.

Apparently no one is passing the first written test, so they never even get to the interviewing process. Thats why they had him in the next day after passing the test, and did the hands on test/interview and offered him the job right off. If someone doesnt pass the test they can't move forward, they have no leeway. John passed the test, but not by much. He likely missed all the electrical stuff. Its a bear of a test.

He will be a temporary for 120 days and then they will assess his improvement on electrical. He was told to study three phase motor control theory.

We'll leave for the holiday and then restart work when he returns. So YAY! Employed at a great company and we are going on holiday and can enjoy ourselves knowing we dont have to look for a job anymore! Thank you everyone for chiming in.
After reading your post I'm not 100% sure that the agreement is him starting, going on holiday, and starting again. The part that nothing was said that he couldn't go makes me wonder. It's probably just me trying to be certain.

LuckyDucky

After reading your post I'm not 100% sure that the agreement is him starting, going on holiday, and starting again. The part that nothing was said that he couldn't go makes me wonder. It's probably just me trying to be certain.
Yes that's right. He will start on Monday and work five weeks until it's time for our trip. Well go on the trip and hell return to work when we get home

LuckyDucky

Can you please show us on your pay stub where it indicates skill level?
I believe the distinction is that a mechanic is a journeyman, or at least the ups pe mechanics are, it's right on the ad for the job, "journeyman skills." A driver learns his skill on the job rather than bringing it with him/her from the outset.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I believe the distinction is that a mechanic is a journeyman, or at least the ups pe mechanics are, it's right on the ad for the job, "journeyman skills." A driver learns his skill on the job rather than bringing it with him/her from the outset.

Thanks but this was for a current employee.

TTKU

Re-Raise

This guy didnt apply for an unskilled driver position, he will be treated differently then a guy who gets the job because of seniority.

Get over yourself. A lot of the dumbest guys I grew up with went on to be mechanics. Just try to keep the package cars from leaking in the rain please.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I'm not denying it takes a special skill to be a mechanic. It also takes a special skill to be a ups driver. Just because the skills sets aren't the same doesn't mean they are non existent.
Brownslave is right. Being a PE mechanic takes a skill set. So does being a feeder and a package driver.

If that wasn't the case then ups would have no problem qualifying anyone for driving.

But they do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Brownslave is right. Being a PE mechanic takes a skill set. So does being a feeder and a package driver.

If that wasn't the case then ups would have no problem qualifying anyone for driving.

But they do.
I think the intergrad pass fail is about 50/50. That doesn't include the ones that fail out afterwards.

clean hairy

Yes that's right. He will start on Monday and work five weeks until it's time for our trip. Well go on the trip and hell return to work when we get home
What you are saying does not add up.
In your first post, you state you have a 2 week Holiday scheduled for mid August.
Now, you tell us he will work 5 weeks, starting July 25th? THEN take the trip.
That would make early Sept for your trip.
Just WHEN is this trip gong to be?

LuckyDucky

In your first post, you state you have a 2 week Holiday scheduled for mid August.

Sorry, I wasn't being precise. Thanks for caring, I dont mean that sarcastically either. Our trip is from August 16 til September 2nd. He will work up until we leave, and work again when we return. I'm in denial about when we are leaving for this trip. Time goes so fast sometimes.

Nimnim

The Nim

UPS doesn't do a training class for Mechanics, PE, PC or Feeders. They do have classroom time for those going into driving for PC or Feeders though. All have skill involved, but the difference is does UPS expect it or train it. Also Feeders requires an extra certification on the drivers license that gives the person more opportunity outside of UPS aside from the standard drivers license a PC driver needs.

We're not talking about inside skilled positions that only involve taking a test and getting an extra $1/hr, these are skills that are useful outside of UPS to a large degree. While being a damn good driver is great, other companies find the skills of a Plant Engineer, a Feeder driver with a cdl or a mechanic who can work on fleet vehicles that includes tractor trailers more desirable.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
UPS doesn't do a training class for Mechanics, PE, PC or Feeders. They do have classroom time for those going into driving for PC or Feeders though. All have skill involved, but the difference is does UPS expect it or train it. Also Feeders requires an extra certification on the drivers license that gives the person more opportunity outside of UPS aside from the standard drivers license a PC driver needs.

We're not talking about inside skilled positions that only involve taking a test and getting an extra $1/hr, these are skills that are useful outside of UPS to a large degree. While being a damn good driver is great, other companies find the skills of a Plant Engineer, a Feeder driver with a cdl or a mechanic who can work on fleet vehicles that includes tractor trailers more desirable.
image.jpg

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yup...I Was just thinking the same thing.