New IVIS Thingy

stray

We get these next month. Been told that if you leave property on meal (to go to restaurant, gas station, etc), it will automatically put you on road to next destination. I hear some guys stash them somewhere in the hub or center if they are leaving property for meal. Any truth to this? Thx

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We get these next month. Been told that if you leave property on meal (to go to restaurant, gas station, etc), it will automatically put you on road to next destination. I hear some guys stash them somewhere in the hub or center if they are leaving property for meal. Any truth to this? Thx

Nope.

But here's what it does do.

It shows the tractor moving, and this time cannot be included in your 30 minute HOS rest period.

If you get a half hour for meal, drive 5 minutes to a burger joint, 20 minutes eating and a 5 minute drive back, you did not get a 30 minute rest period under HOS rules.

Once you reach 8 hours of on duty time and continue driving, you just violated HOS, unless using the short haul exemption.

And this is a huge fine for you and UPS.

Stash the IVIS in the building and it doesn't know the tractor is moving.

stray

Nope.

But here's what it does do.

It shows the tractor moving, and this time cannot be included in your 30 minute HOS rest period.

If you get a half hour for meal, drive 5 minutes to a burger joint, 20 minutes eating and a 5 minute drive back, you did not get a 30 minute rest period under HOS rules.

Once you reach 8 hours of on duty time and continue driving, you just violated HOS, unless using the short haul exemption.

And this is a huge fine for you and UPS.

Stash the IVIS in the building and it doesn't know the tractor is moving.

Thank you, Brother.

stray

Thanks again. How about if I drive to where I intend to take meal, go on meal there for 30 min, come off meal and drive back. Seem right?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Thanks again. How about if I drive to where I intend to take meal, go on meal there for 30 min, come off meal and drive back. Seem right?

Good on the 30 min for HOS, as long as Buster doesn't care that you're driving to and from a restaurant on their time.

Johney

I know this, if you are on meal and say have to move your tractor and drive under 15 mph it will not kick you off meal and in your DOT log it shows as "engine on personal use" for that time.

ManInBrown

True. Easy fix. Turn it off. I’ve noticed that removing it from the mount will also do the trick in some tractors, but not all. Easiest thing to do is just turn it off. On a side note, they suck. You have to constantly restart it to outbound, to have your loads show up etc. etc.

ManInBrown

Yup. It would be a good system if it was reliable. Remember, they get them from the lowest bidder. You get what you pay for.
I heard we are getting new ones. Something about the DOT demanded they roll it out when they did, and the ones they really wanted which are Motorola weren’t ready yet. I’ll believe it when I see it.

brostalss

They are very buggy. Some days they work without a problem. Other days you reboot all day long.

When you find an IVIS that works well, keep it.

I was told the mounts and cases costs more than the old Samsung phones they use.