New members - Commonly asked questions.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hi Alan,
I contacted Corporate HR on this and this is the response I got:

That is all that most employees supply when asked about employment verification with a company. And we use the Works number to get that information to people requesting. (Again, that is all they will get from most reputable employers). If he is looking for more than that, the suggestion would be to give personal/professional references. The works information is listed below, it is also available on upsers.com.

Employment and Salary Verification
To access employment and salary verification, call the UPS eHR at 1-800-UPS-1508 (1-800-877-1508) and select the employment and salary verification option. You will be able to authorize the release of employment and/or salary verification information. You must have a Personal Identification Number (PIN) in order to access the automated response system (the default PIN scheme for initial log in is the employees last 4 digits of their social and their 4 digit birth year). The first time you call/logon, the system will prompt you to change your PIN.

Dear Moderator,

I am a new member to the brown cafe and I am looking forward to meeting and talking with the folks already here and yet to join as well.

As a 27 year UPSer and an early (age of 45) retiree, I am sure that I know a lot of people here.

Right now, I have a rather urgent request. I am applying for job that I want desperately with the state of Georgia. Since I retired in 2004 and started my own company, it has been a very long time since I have needed past (UPS) employment verification.

I know that even before I left UPS had outsourced the task of providing that information from the districts to some other source with an 800 number. I think, if my old notes are correct, it was 1-800-877-1508.

I called that number a short time ago and got a source of such information but it did not seem to be a good source for prospective employers of former UPSers. Meaning, it sounded to me to be a place for UPSers to call in for information for their own use.

I need to be able to provide a phone number for the state of Georgia to call and find out as much as they can about my past employment with UPS. I suspect that, as in the past, all they can find is if I actually worked there and for how long but, at least that is something.

Where can I find a number such as this?

Thanks,
Alan

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: new here

I'm new to the board not the company. Just looking at all the information that is alailable.

I dare say you can find an answer for pretty much anything UPS related here. Our members come from all fields and, while the majority are hourly, we do have folks from mgt, to include a retired center manager, operations managers, on cars, BD folks, and IT guys. We have a moderator who has worked on the upsers.com website. Our hourlies range from hardcore Union guys to those who are Teamsters by necessity, mechanics, drivers, loaders, and clerks. I couldn't begin to guess the cumulative years of experience assembled here.

I can offer one piece of advice it would be this--take any advice that you are given here with a grain of salt. I would hate to see you run in to a situation at work and respond to it by saying, "This is what I was told to do on Brown Cafe." Have fun and I hope to hear more from you in the future.

Argosyangele

Re: For all new members, a help page

When I started they never went through any of the benefits or anything. The only thing I had to do was watch a video on safety. I know nothing about benefits, or any other things that come alone with the job. Hopefully I can find it on here

UPS Lifer

When I started they never went through any of the benefits or anything. The only thing I had to do was watch a video on safety. I know nothing about benefits, or any other things that come alone with the job. Hopefully I can find it on here

Learn to use your resources.... Ask to speak with the HR rep for your area. Let them know the general topic and then have a list of questions. Make sure you find out the easiest way to get in touch with your rep so that you don't have to rely on your supervisor to get the info.

just interested

I agree - where can we see the benefits offered and how they are earned depending upon whichever job position one holds? Also things like how seniority comes into play in the workplace.

Thanks for pointing us in the right directions/web links, etc.

just interested

UPSers.com and the contract book will give you the answers to your questions.

That works only after you are already employed, right? What if someone is trying to discern if they even want to work for UPS at all?

I found these links posted in another discussion

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamst...02008-2013.pdf

http://tdu.org/node/1617

- Are they the right place to look? Does anyone have a link for a description of health benefits? What other things should people know before accepting a job with UPS?

-What did any of you wish you knew before working that might have changed how you did things or so that you could take advantage of the benefits better than you did?

grreyes6

Hello all.....new the the site. Hoping to find some answers to my many questions!

Just applied at UPS for package handler in the Cincinnati Ohio area. Did the tour, had the interview on Friday and was told to think about everything over the weekend and if still interested to call the HR on Monday or Tues. I made my mind up that night but called to assure her I was interested on sat. Went straight to voicemail, so I left a message. On Monday called again , same thing. Called her other phone # and was put throught to a message system that was full. So I then emailed her. Today is Wed and still her one mailbox is full and other number goes straight to voicemail....same as Sat. Should I keep trying? Wait it out awhile. Wasn't sure how the actual process goes after the tour and 1st interview. Appreciate some insight!

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

Hello all.....new the the site. Hoping to find some answers to my many questions!

Just applied at UPS for package handler in the Cincinnati Ohio area. Did the tour, had the interview on Friday and was told to think about everything over the weekend and if still interested to call the HR on Monday or Tues. I made my mind up that night but called to assure her I was interested on sat. Went straight to voicemail, so I left a message. On Monday called again , same thing. Called her other phone # and was put throught to a message system that was full. So I then emailed her. Today is Wed and still her one mailbox is full and other number goes straight to voicemail....same as Sat. Should I keep trying? Wait it out awhile. Wasn't sure how the actual process goes after the tour and 1st interview. Appreciate some insight!

grreyes6,

Welcome to the BrownCafe! Keep on trying, maybe you should go down to there and try and meet in person...

Good luck.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Sounds like they don't need you yet.

vinnycius

Hey,new guy here,first time posting.I have a question i applied for road driver with upsf last week did the interview road test dot physical.they told me that the olny thing pending is the background check....i was told that it take a few weeks to get that done....is that true??

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hey,new guy here,first time posting.I have a question i applied for road driver with upsf last week did the interview road test dot physical.they told me that the olny thing pending is the background check....i was told that it take a few weeks to get that done....is that true??
That's a good question. I'll repost this in the UPS Freight forum to see if you get a bite. Welcome to the Brown Cafe.

jaded1

counting the days til 80

Generally, in my experience the company puts off all new hires at this time of year until absolutely necessary. If the operation can get by until October, they can bring new hires in as 'peak hires' and let them go after peak is over if they aren't needed. I don't want to throw a bucket of cold water on your hopes though, I was a peak hire way back when and busted my hump preloading, I was hired on after peak.

slhughes

Re: New UPSers - Commonly asked questions.

can anyone tell me if UPS can move a 22.3 combo job from Mon thru fri, to a Tues thru sat job?