New PVD - sorting tips please?

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Well he's retired because he did this job and wasn't a scam and got health care and a pension.

But thank you for stealing the younger guys work So they will not have the opportunity

Please pat yourself on the back
I'm sure you meant to type "scab".
I'm not stealing from anyone. This is a free market. My guess is that plenty of UPS drivers have secretly suggested to their nephews, or whomever, that UPS is hiring seasonal drivers.
Question, if UPS needs seasonal drivers shouldn't they have the right to hire them?
You think the union should be able to dictate how UPS seeks ways to satisfy customer demand?
😂 Sure Spartacus! Maybe for an hour. I don’t know you but I know guys like you! Self righteous know it all’s . ‘ I can do anything’ lol. You can barely do 5 hrs of easy work in 6 hrs! Go take a nap.
Im genuinely sorry if I come across as self righteous and/or a know it all. I despise this type of personality same as you do. I spent my first 26 years living on LI, NY and that place is FULL of this type. I couldn't wait to get out of there so I moved to SE, NC.
I have to say that writing in forums makes it very difficult to convey the way statements are meant to be taken. It's often the case that HOW things are said is as important as what is being said. Agree?
I've stated previously how much I respect the effort you folks put forth each day. I've NEVER seen a lazy UPS driver which, in and of itself, speaks to the character of the UPS drivers. I'm not blowing smoke-i believe in the truth ONLY.
I have to ask if it's possible for folks here to be more open to the idea that I may be doing this job in a manner close to what the UPS driver does. Without doing a ride along its simply not possible for someone to say I am slow, or inefficient, or incompetent as I've been called. Just a small example is yesterday where I am being blamed for being slow (and worse). I had a single package that was put in my pile in error. It's the third time this address was for me to deliver. This one stop is a 10 minute drive one way so a single stop ate up 20 minutes.
I have complained about the android based device I'm having to use. It alone eats up between a half hour to a full hour every day. It sucks and it's a POS. It crashes and forgets where it was in my itinerary. This equals more time.
I have to help unload,sort and load my own route AND reload at least once.
These, and a few unmentioned things regular drivers don't need to do, eat a boat load of time.
Agree??
Guarantee.
Helping.
Ah yes. Every thread needs a spelling policeman.
And I'M THE ONE being called self righteous??
BTW - my spelling sucks and always has. Kill me for that.
Dave,
Now you are really showing your arrogant ignorance.

It is like listening to a 12 year old boy tell his dad how he could fix the car with no experience or tools.

You are embarrassing yourself. You obviously have no idea what this job entails, or how difficult it is to qualify.

Do you know why those guys in your area are forced to work 10+ hrs year round? Because you scabs enable the company to avoid hiring more REAL, PERMINATE, FULL TIME drivers.

By scabbing, you are preventing young hard working part time employees from getting that full time job they need to support thier young families.

So spare us your bragging about how you can get 2 hours of work done in 6.

Try a completely packed package car with all the ball buster pkgs you never see, 400+ stops...day after day, 12-14 hours a day.

No one knows how hard this job is until they do it 70 hours a week. What you do is nothing in comparison. You think at 62 you could make it through qualifying? You are hilarious.
Ok. You are correct in that I don't know how difficult it is to do 70 hours a week. Im hoping that I find out even though, if it happens, it will be in my personal vehicle and not the large truck ya'll drive. I'm very confident that I could do it. I've been wrong before. MANY times.
Best PVD ever?
Nope. I never said that.
People ALWAYS read what THEY want to see and NOT what's actually written.
Have him spend a week as a driver helper and see how much fun he thinks it is!

That seems to a rather slow pace.
Getting paid to work fast, not to sight see between stops!

Last edited:

PVD Scab

I just did 77 stops and 110 packages in 6.5 hours. That includes a 10 minute gas stop and another 10 minutes screwing with this POS android device we use.
Wondering why you didn't show up for work with a full tank of gas...

Hopefully you aren't trying to continue with the company after your stint as a PVD because unless those 77 stops included driving a total of 100+ miles your numbers aren't special.

I know that egos tend to be inflated on the internet so I hope this "I can do your job better than you can" attitude towards RPCDs isn't how you operate in real life. If it is...

PVD Scab

You all are way over paid for what you do. You deliver effing packages! I know you break your butts but still! YOU DELIVER PACKAGES! It's basically a fog the mirror qualification type job.
People hate the truth.
Not the hardest job in the entire world but there are many easier and less stressful ones that pay more. Never a good look to crap all over others livelihoods as you have with this pile of word vomit.
I jog to my vehicle after dropping off the package(s).
Also stop running scab.

BlackFriday

Hi! I’m new, too. Today I decided to write notes on my paper copy of my manifest. Things like “tiny, “big boi,” “target,” and “Amazon bag” along with where it’s located in my vehicle T for trunk, B pass for back passanger side, etc. It helped a ton for meS
I think I have the sorting figured out. So far, for my specific route at least, putting packages in street / house number order is working well.
Thanks
"He" is trying to get a reaction. "He" is succeeding. Lol.
Ha! Hardly. Looking for reactions is lame and things people with no life do.
Why the "he" in quotes? Seems like YOU are looking for a reaction? Or maybe you aren't sure of my gender? (BTW-there are only 2 unless you follow the MSM).
I’m done with this old scab
C'MON. I'm a good guy and I bet we would get along great. As I said in the previous post, things written in an internet forum are often difficult to "hit home". We obviously disagree on some things but I have a good feeling we would agree on most things outside of the specific topics of UPS pvd usage etc.
I'm 100% NOT an arrogant person (maybe even THAT sounds arrogant?). At my age I've learned that it's good to admit when I'm wrong and I'm very open to accepting this. I enjoy learning from other people's experiences.
Not the hardest job in the entire world but there are many easier and less stressful ones that pay more. Never a good look to crap all over others livelihoods as you have with this pile of word vomit.

Also stop running scab.
I feel like I speak the truth. I don't let emotion dictate my position or thought process. Clearly you do which puts you in a bad position. You attacking me personally is driven emotion instead of fact(s). None of what I write is done so to disrespect anyone PERSONALLY.
Tell me what jobs are easier and less stressful that pay more. Please be specific.
The above may make me seem, to some, as being arrogant. I ain't.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I think I have the sorting figured out. So far, for my specific route at least, putting packages in street / house number order is working well.
Thanks

Ha! Hardly. Looking for reactions is lame and things people with no life do.
Why the "he" in quotes? Seems like YOU are looking for a reaction? Or maybe you aren't sure of my gender? (BTW-there are only 2 unless you follow the MSM).

C'MON. I'm a good guy and I bet we would get along great. As I said in the previous post, things written in an internet forum are often difficult to "hit home". We obviously disagree on some things but I have a good feeling we would agree on most things outside of the specific topics of UPS pvd usage etc.
I'm 100% NOT an arrogant person (maybe even THAT sounds arrogant?). At my age I've learned that it's good to admit when I'm wrong and I'm very open to accepting this. I enjoy learning from other people's experiences.

I feel like I speak the truth. I don't let emotion dictate my position or thought process. Clearly you do which puts you in a bad position. You attacking me personally is driven emotion instead of fact(s). None of what I write is done so to disrespect anyone PERSONALLY.
Tell me what jobs are easier and less stressful that pay more. Please be specific.
The above may make me seem, to some, as being arrogant. I ain't.
And yet you disrespect every hard working driver on this forum by implying anyone can do our job. Ask UPS about the retention rate. The chance to make 100k is not enough for many. Why? The work is too hard for the snowflakes today.
Maybe as you say, you’re a good guy, but on here you just seem arrogant and obnoxious. Most on this forum bust their asses and some don’t get the pay they deserve either, but none of us appreciate an outsider with zero experience telling us how easy we have it or in my case had it.
Maybe you should think before you write, maybe you should thank a trucker for everything in your house, including the materials used to build it, instead of sneering at him.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I was just trying to accommodate you malcontents.
Why would you all want another scab member?
I'm happy to stick around so long as folks can see the truth and address it???
Seems like a few like to match wits but come half prepared.
Please address the following if you would be so inclined : (insults are expected but don't really add to positive dialog)

Please tell me how many hours you average per week.

Drivers in my area work until 8-9 minimum. The sentiment I've received, so far, from the half dozen or so I've personally talked to to, is that they are thrilled to get the small amount of relief I provide.

I would hope to be called a scab by the drivers I've met if they were actually offended by the seasonal drivers ie me. I'm a old man and I don't get offended by others very easily so I would hope honesty would prevail. So far I'm comfortable they feel I'm helping.

This is an EIGHT WEEK gig. Can you honestly say I'm removing food stuffs from the folding table in front of the Barco lounger?

Perhaps the onion feels the work that seasonals do is a fart in a windstorm and not worth the trouble of removing?

Everything considered, do you think the onion is focused on helping the members???

Hopefully, from here forward, we can converse and share our thoughts productively. The name calling, some of which I'm guilty of, will stop. All those insults I've received have left me an emotional wreck. All I seem to do anymore is look over my shoulder 😁
BarcaLounger.

Helping.

Next time maybe you’re wife/sister can proof read you’re post.

BlackFriday

I imagine we will agree that continuing this thread is fruitless.
FWIW, today I excluded all the time I spend each day other than driving and delivering and I did 77 stops with 111 packages in a little more than 3 hours. Not breaking records by any means but it's my second week. I hope to get faster.
Do you think that you could hang with me as I do my beekeeping? 100 degrees and wearing a hot bee suit? Lifting 100 lb brood boxes and/or multiple 60 lb honey supers. Can you deal with doing hive removals often high on a ladder. Working over head and getting stung maybe 20 times & sometimes more? Having hot honey literally soaking the bee suit in over 100 degree heat sometimes for 8 hours on the very edge of heat stroke?
Maybe you can. I can't be the judge until I see the proof.
I'm not bragging when I say I'm a tough old SOB. I NEVER quit and I never give up and I try to surround myself with those that possess the same attitude. My guess is that you are cut from similar cloth.
Just because im a pvd doesn't mean I'm a thief or I'm in any way weak. I'm taking a stab at what,, I feel, is a good opportunity. If others have any issues with this I consider it their problem and not mine.
Anyone wanting to check this for spelling/grammar please feel free to eat the fruit off my loom.

BlackFriday

Not likely. I don't ride on any gravy trains.
What motivates a retired member to hang here and spew hate anyway? Has your guilt for being over compensated brought so much anger into your lide? I can see how that can happen.

upsgrunt

A couple points for the OP- I’m the most politically conservative person you could meet, and I support our union, so your broad brushstroke about Democrats and unions carries as much weight as “Republicans are uneducated”, which is bull:censored2: as well as I have a BA before I spent 35 years at UPS. You can’t just label people nilly willy like that. Same goes with drivers being overpaid. You’ve done maybe a tenth of 1 percent of what a driver does EVERY day for about 2 weeks. You DON’T know! You claim we don’t have to sort, unload, load, have technical problems, whatever, but you DON’T know! If the truck is packed, and the stop you need is in the middle, what do you think we do? Unload 50, get what you need to deliver, then load the 50 back in. If we are overpaid, then why does UPS have problems filling positions? Do you realize how many quit within a week; the first day??? You speak of things like you know, but you don’t because you haven’t done it; just like your beekeeping, although NOBODY is claiming that anybody could do that. I know I couldn’t, even though I have never done it.

Rpcd?

Totally agree,a lot of people will bow out half way through their packet cause it’s too hard,like damn your so close to true job security and good pay and they still quit and go back to preload

UPSER1987

Not likely. I don't ride on any gravy trains.
What motivates a retired member to hang here and spew hate anyway? Has your guilt for being over compensated brought so much anger into your lide? I can see how that can happen.
There are a bunch of old heads retirees posting here. They are upset because they failed to plan financially and personally for life after UPS so they sit around posting here all day about :censored2: they could not possibly know about because they don’t work here. So sad really…

BlackFriday

I excluded all the time I spent except for hitting stop complete today and I did 190 stops in one hour.
Huh? It took you an hour to hit a button 190 times? Yikes! Must be some parthiemerse going on? 😊
A couple points for the OP- I’m the most politically conservative person you could meet, and I support our union, so your broad brushstroke about Democrats and unions carries as much weight as “Republicans are uneducated”, which is bull:censored2: as well as I have a BA before I spent 35 years at UPS. You can’t just label people nilly willy like that. Same goes with drivers being overpaid. You’ve done maybe a tenth of 1 percent of what a driver does EVERY day for about 2 weeks. You DON’T know! You claim we don’t have to sort, unload, load, have technical problems, whatever, but you DON’T know! If the truck is packed, and the stop you need is in the middle, what do you think we do? Unload 50, get what you need to deliver, then load the 50 back in. If we are overpaid, then why does UPS have problems filling positions? Do you realize how many quit within a week; the first day??? You speak of things like you know, but you don’t because you haven’t done it; just like your beekeeping, although NOBODY is claiming that anybody could do that. I know I couldn’t, even though I have never done it.
I never meant to say union MEMBERS are left leaning. If I did, or if my statement(s) suggest that, I apologize. My position, based on facts as usual, is that Union bosses, heads, leaders, those in power, etc absolutely DO sleep well with the liberal agenda/canditate(s) /platform. The last time the teamsters supported a republican potus candidate was in 1956.
Certain types of people vote certain ways. This is a fact. Given the effort, hustle and work ethic of you UPS drivers one would be inclined to think most drivers lean right. Based on the Google searching I did this is precisely the case.
I may rethink my previous position that drivers are over paid ONLY because of the adage that you are worth what you are paid BECAUSE that's what you ARE being paid. HOWEVER if I think about the many examples of folks that have similar jobs, yet make a fraction of what a UPS driver makes what AM I supposed to think? I don't expect a single person here to say that they are over paid so perhaps it makes no sense to debate this specific topic.
Screw those who can't hack the job. IMO this speaks to their laziness and lack of drive. I'm not attacking them, judging or blaming them. They do them.
I'll say this for the final time, I KNOW you drivers bust your asses and I've said this already too many times.
You're absolutely correct to assume I shouldn't base my assessment of this job, or your's for that matter, on a scant two week sample but I'm not. I'm basing the notion that I can easily hack this job on the 2 weeks PLUS over 50 that I've been working. I am (again NOT bragging) always been someone that is driven to do the absolute best job. Mind you, not MY best job but, the best job possible. I can't stand people that do a :censored2: job and say, "I did my best". So what! Do it better or move along.
Totally agree,a lot of people will bow out half way through their packet cause it’s too hard,like damn your so close to true job security and good pay and they still quit and go back to preload
As I said above, they do them.
There are a bunch of old heads retirees posting here. They are upset because they failed to plan financially and personally for life after UPS so they sit around posting here all day about :censored2: they could not possibly know about because they don’t work here. So sad really…
You mean like the violent and angry one that joined only in August? Maybe he is a long time member but got banned only to show up again using a VPN?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Please report me so a mod can remove my membership.
Unions suck.
You union loyalists are Democrat voters. Democrats suck too.
My guess is that there are two camps here. One camp will blow a union boss and the other camp joined because they are forced to. The later camp don't need union protecfion. Their work ethic and drive to work hard makes a union an unnecessary evil.
80% of my coworkers are die hard R. 95% hate PVD drivers.

UPSER1987

Huh? It took you an hour to hit a button 190 times? Yikes! Must be some parthiemerse going on? 😊

I never meant to say union MEMBERS are left leaning. If I did, or if my statement(s) suggest that, I apologize. My position, based on facts as usual, is that Union bosses, heads, leaders, those in power, etc absolutely DO sleep well with the liberal agenda/canditate(s) /platform. The last time the teamsters supported a republican potus candidate was in 1956.
Certain types of people vote certain ways. This is a fact. Given the effort, hustle and work ethic of you UPS drivers one would be inclined to think most drivers lean right. Based on the Google searching I did this is precisely the case.
I may rethink my previous position that drivers are over paid ONLY because of the adage that you are worth what you are paid BECAUSE that's what you ARE being paid. HOWEVER if I think about the many examples of folks that have similar jobs, yet make a fraction of what a UPS driver makes what AM I supposed to think? I don't expect a single person here to say that they are over paid so perhaps it makes no sense to debate this specific topic.
Screw those who can't hack the job. IMO this speaks to their laziness and lack of drive. I'm not attacking them, judging or blaming them. They do them.
I'll say this for the final time, I KNOW you drivers bust your asses and I've said this already too many times.
You're absolutely correct to assume I shouldn't base my assessment of this job, or your's for that matter, on a scant two week sample but I'm not. I'm basing the notion that I can easily hack this job on the 2 weeks PLUS over 50 that I've been working. I am (again NOT bragging) always been someone that is driven to do the absolute best job. Mind you, not MY best job but, the best job possible. I can't stand people that do a :censored2: job and say, "I did my best". So what! Do it better or move along.

As I said above, they do them.

You mean like the violent and angry one that joined only in August? Maybe he is a long time member but got banned only to show up again using a VPN?
Probably so. Like I said, literally nothing to do post post ALL. DAY. LONG. LOL.