New union contract - package handlers

upschuck

you completely misread my post

simply by talking about an issue via email in an informal way, you open yourself to having your statements misconstrued in court

legality is irrelevant
No I didn't, you don't want to know if you are doing something illegal, because it may somehow show badly on ups, if the issue were to ever come up.

As an opposing view, it could show as ups trying to crack down on the illegalities that it does do. Why does it need to be informal? ups pays lawyers good money, let them draft it.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I wonder how Amazon is handling this problem with their (from what I hear) immediate benefits.

Depends on your hours. Under Obamacare, if a person works regular hours/full time, they have to be offered benefits after 30 days( co pay determined by the Company). If you work less than 32 hours on average, you don't have to offer them at all. That is how Walmart an Amazon fleece their workforce. Legally, UPS doesn't have to offer the benefits except by the Contract.

Nickstixx

Package Handler
I don't think they will change eligibility. Especially since the union now runs your healthcare.
But the union does want a 15$ an hour starting wage.
$15/hr would be really nice. I just know that there are a lot of big companies out there that give full benefits to part time employees much sooner than a full year of working there. Seems a little ridiculous. And according to my brother in law who worked for UPS in the late 80's and 90's they used to give full benefits after your probation was over.

I honestly feel like it would incentivize the new employees to stay around. I don't think it would just be used for quick medical expenses and then the employee would quit.
Maybe for a few people... but they already have extremely high turnover rates as it stands now because people are getting burnt out working for minimum wage and no benefits.
Just feels like the package handler job is undervalued in the company.

If UPS is going to tout their drivers as "the company's inside customers", they need to pay us more for the stuff we put up with getting it from both ends. Secondly, having rotating people who can't do numbers right, yeah, you're really taking care of your "inside customers", who are leaving by 10 every day upset at all the workers and management and we can't fix all their problems.

If a driver can't understand a loader's quality relies on a smooth route with no cuts, a steady stream from preload, and scanners who can meet numbers.. but always need ink.

Blackstream

We need more than a $15 an hour starting wage in portland for the new contract. If we do $15 and the contract is 5 years again, we're gonna run into the same damn problem we're running into right now now in like 3 or 4 years where the minimum wage is once again ups starting wage and we can't hire people because they can just get a job somewhere else that's less work and the same money.

I don't know what UPS should do, but I am sure that it'll be bad again here if they don't do something different.