New union contract - package handlers

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Young guys getting their girl friend or wife pregnant and working just long enough until the baby is born. Or single mothers pulling the same gig. UPS usually just dumps the single mothers by placing a pregnant woman in the hardest pulls and waiting for them to quit. Pregnancy is not an excuse for disability.

IMG_1630.GIF

Pregnancy Discrimination

Observer

The contract was written to have people wait a year. Yes the turnover is high- who wants to work somewhere where they yell at you - that is why Amazon is making in roads with their distribution centers. XPO Logistics is another one to look out for. Yes, the medical benefits are better than Fed Ex. etc. however, they probably won't change the one year requirement. I think the company will have to change the starting wage - they will put up a fuss stating that their profits are down, yeah right, remember how gas prices were lower for over a year and the company kept the additional gas charge - hence more profit. If they think people aren't going to quibble about the extra charges for Christmas shipments they are fools.

A

Article 3

The contract was written to have people wait a year. Yes the turnover is high- who wants to work somewhere where they yell at you - that is why Amazon is making in roads with their distribution centers. XPO Logistics is another one to look out for. Yes, the medical benefits are better than Fed Ex. etc. however, they probably won't change the one year requirement. I think the company will have to change the starting wage - they will put up a fuss stating that their profits are down, yeah right, remember how gas prices were lower for over a year and the company kept the additional gas charge - hence more profit. If they think people aren't going to quibble about the extra charges for Christmas shipments they are fools.
I was told that the company agrees to give X $/hr to the bargaining unit and the ibt decides who gets what amount in raises for the CBA.

But you are forgetting one important thing. At UPS you have the chance to advance to a driver and have the opportunity to possibly make 100k a year 6 or more weeks vacation and a pension

A

Article 3

Ups can pay more then the minimum contracted wage scale. They chose not to.

They appear to be handling it by funneling off all our potential new hires.

Atlanta has forgotten that you can't pay :censored2: wages when the economy is at full employment.

This is the dilemma for the union negotiators in 2018. How do you get the pt starting wage up to a level that people find it worth the hassle to work there, make the ft satisfied with their lessened increases and not have to infuriate the membership by breaching the "no concessions" mantra?

Good luck.

People making $35.79 better be realistic in this contract because there's a lot of lower seniority driver's jobs at stake if this goes badly.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
This is the dilemma for the union negotiators in 2018. How do you get the pt starting wage up to a level that people find it worth the hassle to work there, make the ft satisfied with their lessened increases and not have to infuriate the membership by breaching the "no concessions" mantra?

Good luck.

People making $35.79 better be realistic in this contract because there's a lot of lower seniority driver's jobs at stake if this goes badly.

Two contracts ago, the FT drivers took less so that the PT could get more. The realization hit halfway through that contract that most of the people that it affected were not even there any more. Many had continued the cycle of hire and quit before getting through progression. Most of the long time PT employees continued to moan about everything and when asked about how they got more, they moaned about that too. I'm not saying the PT employees don't need more, but only through the progression. The long time PT only make a couple dollars less than drivers do in some cases.

The Company perpetuates the problem by hiring only college age kids("preferred"). They don't need the job or benefits and most likely to quit on the spot. The middle age guy with kids stays much longer because he needs the benefits that his other job doesn't give him or too expensive to afford. They also seem to have a better attendance record. The Company hires a bunch of PT sups so that they can say they were needed to replace no call/no show employees and do our work. Huge problem that the Company is creating on purpose IMHO.

I just think it's ridiculous that I've been on call for preload and evening sort since March, stunning attendance record, no discipline or accidents, my drivers love my loads and I've done all but 2 on our belts. There isn't much I can't do for either shift. I can build an amazing trailer and tear down a regular in 45m.

Any other job I've had that would cross train an employee for multiple positions and shifts pays more than cleaning the fry maker at mcdonalds.

I'm only here for the bennies but give me a suitable wage for my work.

Then lol people say "oh a new hire with a month or two in can do the same". I'm surrounded by these clowns and lol, no, no they can't... and they're late when they show up, if they even show up anymore.

Today during safety our steward ripped out 18 pages of people that have been hired and quit in the last month. Come on now.

BrownMonk

The last strike in '97, the Company tried to say that all of the jobs we do were unskilled. The second day of the strike, a load shifted on a sup driving feeders and flipped him. He died and they learned how important P/T people were that had skill. They seemed to have forgotten this lesson. They also had a slew of accidents in package and feeders during that short time. You can't just give someone the keys and send them out. Hell, the DIAD is an animal by itself for the unknowing.

Even as a helper the DIAD was daunting. But driving heavy machinery, and apparently risking your life and losing it, is a totally unskilled job.

My first check I had 5 hours unskilled preload, then 20 hours skilled preload for 2.35 more. Lol what? You throw things on powered or basic physics rollers, and try to make your scanner's life as easy as possible without killing yourself or them.

The people who have to pull and organize 200 packages per hour deserve minimum wage get the eff outta here.

And besides all that, 10.25 isn't a living wage in Oregon. It's disgusting how expensive rent can be for a 2 bed 1 bath. Couples who work a FT and a PT job apply for public assistance.

People say oh you have no sales tax.. yeah well property tax on my cars and state out of my paycheck is enormous. A married couple with two FT jobs at minimum wage here are the working poor.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
And besides all that, 10.25 isn't a living wage in Oregon. It's disgusting how expensive rent can be for a 2 bed 1 bath. Couples who work a FT and a PT job apply for public assistance.

People say oh you have no sales tax.. yeah well property tax on my cars and state out of my paycheck is enormous. A married couple with two FT jobs at minimum wage here are the working poor.
@Future loves you

rudy5150

Two contracts ago, the FT drivers took less so that the PT could get more. The realization hit halfway through that contract that most of the people that it affected were not even there any more. Many had continued the cycle of hire and quit before getting through progression. Most of the long time PT employees continued to moan about everything and when asked about how they got more, they moaned about that too. I'm not saying the PT employees don't need more, but only through the progression. The long time PT only make a couple dollars less than drivers do in some cases.

The Company perpetuates the problem by hiring only college age kids("preferred"). They don't need the job or benefits and most likely to quit on the spot. The middle age guy with kids stays much longer because he needs the benefits that his other job doesn't give him or too expensive to afford. They also seem to have a better attendance record. The Company hires a bunch of PT sups so that they can say they were needed to replace no call/no show employees and do our work. Huge problem that the Company is creating on purpose IMHO.

2 contracts ago they made a very very weak laughable attempt to narrow the wage gap between part time and full time. It was 1dollar catch up raise over 5 or 6 yrs. Basically the part timers raises were .20 more each year than a full timer. That was insulting to part timers. How bout a $10-20 catch up raise....that would still fall well short of what full timers make hourly.

PT Car Washer

2 contracts ago they made a very very weak laughable attempt to narrow the wage gap between part time and full time. It was 1dollar catch up raise over 5 or 6 yrs. Basically the part timers raises were .20 more each year than a full timer. That was insulting to part timers. How bout a $10-20 catch up raise....that would still fall well short of what full timers make hourly.
Red Circle PT never received the catch up raises.

BrownMonk

Do you believe that P/T should make the same as friend/T? They have always had a way to make that happen. Sign a list and become a driver. Simple.