New union contract - package handlers

Nickstixx

Package Handler
So, I just started as a package handler a couple weeks ago at the Portland Hub.
I am new to the union, and have never been apart of one before. So I'm not sure how to voice any opinions or what not, or even how to contact my union rep.
One issue I would like to ask for the next contract has to do with the eligibility of benefits.
As the current contract sits, we don't receive any benefits except for the tuition reimbursement program until after our first year.
I'm sure you all are aware of the high turnover rates in the package handler position.
I think that if they granted benefits earlier, maybe after probation period that it would retain more workers.
Do any of you have any insight to this, and why they wait an entire year before they grant those benefits?
Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
So, I just started as a package handler a couple weeks ago at the Portland Hub.
I am new to the union, and have never been apart of one before. So I'm not sure how to voice any opinions or what not, or even how to contact my union rep.
One issue I would like to ask for the next contract has to do with the eligibility of benefits.
As the current contract sits, we don't receive any benefits except for the tuition reimbursement program until after our first year.
I'm sure you all are aware of the high turnover rates in the package handler position.
I think that if they granted benefits earlier, maybe after probation period that it would retain more workers.
Do any of you have any insight to this, and why they wait an entire year before they grant those benefits?
Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

They did it for two reasons.
1. People were getting hired and using the benefits then quitting.
2. Two part timers don't vote, so their voice gets drowned out. Change that by taking part in your local union and having your voice heard

Young guys getting their girl friend or wife pregnant and working just long enough until the baby is born. Or single mothers pulling the same gig. UPS usually just dumps the single mothers by placing a pregnant woman in the hardest pulls and waiting for them to quit. Pregnancy is not an excuse for disability.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I don't think they will change eligibility. Especially since the union now runs your healthcare.
But the union does want a 15$ an hour starting wage.

We really need 15. Especially in Oregon. Fifteen an hour in Oklahoma and you're king. Out here two part time workers would be poverty. Our minimum wage is 10.25 non-metro to 11.25 Portland metro. It's expensive as :censored2: to live out here. A decent FT job and a PT job and you're still on some kind of state support.

PTer's deserve 15. We are short 20 people. Three just put in notice today, last week we lost another stunner.. two guys either quit or got DQ'd. We were already having drivers come in and now there's six in unload alone in 2 weeks. Just a few dollars more. Union pays us benefits, why can't UPS pay a living wage? Over half a dozen drivers at what, like 50 an hour, instead of a couple more dollars. It is hard to justify this job at 10.25 when I can work same shift at a gas station or Walmart for more!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
You would think they would, to caution or to say it is baseless.

Look it up, it is there.
yeah it's all fun and games to talk about it until some lawyer subpoenas every email the company has that mentions it even if they had nothing to do with it

no thanks i'd rather not know at all what is going on legally

upschuck

yeah it's all fun and games to talk about it until some lawyer subpoenas every email the company has that mentions it even if they had nothing to do with it

no thanks i'd rather not know at all what is going on legally
Has happened before, I.e. the California break lawsuit.

I guess the company can only do one right thing a decade?