john chesney

My apologies if this is a repost, has anyone received the new voice directions for the DIADs in the trucks yet? My center is supposed to get it in the next couple of weeks and I was curious as to how it functions. All the drivers I’ve talked to now seem opposed to it and want nothing to do with it lol. They installed the charging mounts a month or two ago in almost all of the trucks and only one has started smoking in the vehicle when one of my buddies was delivering lol. I’m assuming you can either have it on or turn it off unless you want to hear a GPS voice talking to you all day in your truck...
What about all that no distractions in the cab I’ve been hearing about everyday for the last 5 years?

john chesney

Yes they most certainly have been getting ready. The people who want to strike, just for the heck of it might not have a job to come back to.
Maybe they should worry about the most critical packages we have the NDA. They can’t even figure out how to get them delivered on time

Tony Q

And they still haven't perfected the crap to help them.
I agree, it would be a total poop show, but you can't say its not one of the things they pride themselves in. Just look at the 6 billion, or so they are spending all over the country to automate so many hubs.

john chesney

I agree, it would be a total poop show, but you can't say its not one of the things they pride themselves in. Just look at the 6 billion, or so they are spending all over the country to automate so many hubs.
I hope it’s working better then that albatross Orion they spent billions on

Tony Q

Yes they most certainly have been getting ready. The people who want to strike, just for the heck of it might not have a job to come back to.
I in know way want this to happen, but in a sick way would kinda like to see the doom day scenario where we strike them and the business model changes forever. We lose volume that we will never get back. We lose members for the teamsters and the company comes back as a different company. The amount of ignorance on both sides is ambivalent. In a sick way I'd like to see people not have a job to come back to and UPS an Air and business to business company and watch people on social media crying a river after its all said and done.

Tony Q

I hope it’s working better then that albatross Orion they spent billions on
The typical UPSer can only focus on the next step in what affects only them. Where you separate the Boys?Men from the Girls/Women is where you play you chess match 5 steps ahead. This is where one of the big disconnects come from.

dudebro

That's too short sighted. The vision, for better or worse in society, is not to need people. There are millions of problems to overcome, and the tech is not here today to do this, but the first step is to be able to turn a profit without skilled people. This has the added benefit of providing some protection in the event of a major labor disruption, but it's not the end goal.

dudebro

And they still haven't perfected the crap to help them.
It doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect. It just has to be a lower cost per package than the fully allocated $70-75 driver. If some imaginary new tech cost only $20/hour, it could be 1/3 as effective as a skilled driver and still save money. What's lucky for all of us so far, is that imaginary tech isn't here today. But people are working on it....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Maybe for the next contract. Can't see them having this crap ready for this one.

The company can never get anything they come up with to work right, all this technology they come up with never works like it is supposed to. We can't keep people who will come to work now, what would they replace us with? Nobody wants to become a driver working with the ridiculous dispatches. I was off last week and they begged me to come into work every day because of poor staffing. I'm not worried about being replaced.

Heavy Package

has anyone received the new voice directions for the DIADs in the trucks yet?

We have these things. Mounted right next to the DIAD holder and old DIAD holder. Another UPS Technological Boondoggle. Just dash mount a LCD screen wired into the battery that downloads the stops like EDD in the morning and syncs with the DIAD. I mean for friend* sake - We don't need to keep recreating our own outdated technology. Just use what's already out there that works for Uber drivers, etc.

UPS created a boondoggle ORION when better delivery method technology could be implemented and licensed for a fraction of the cost and then doubles down on stupidity with add-ons like this crap.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
We had that type of system a few years ago at FedEx HD... it slow down the powerpad interface when switching between navigation mode to scanner mode

Now we can transfer the powerpad manifest to a standalone Garmin GPS unit and mount it to the windshield
IMG_20180520_123446.jpg

Boom!

brown_trousers

My apologies if this is a repost, has anyone received the new voice directions for the DIADs in the trucks yet? My center is supposed to get it in the next couple of weeks and I was curious as to how it functions. All the drivers I’ve talked to now seem opposed to it and want nothing to do with it lol. They installed the charging mounts a month or two ago in almost all of the trucks and only one has started smoking in the vehicle when one of my buddies was delivering lol. I’m assuming you can either have it on or turn it off unless you want to hear a GPS voice talking to you all day in your truck...

Its innocent at first, just a voice giving you turn by turn directions... then pretty soon, it starts asking you to recite the 5 seeing habits.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Lol. Ups bot tell you to start at 10 Maplewood. Only problem is that bulk stops for the other side of town. Also bot, won't realize rhe preload screwed us over and we got out late.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
A gps/tablet system is long overdue on this Job.

I actually have a tough book tablet on my security gig for inputting reports and scanning various stuff, slots right into the patrol car and has GPS functionality. Murders any DIAD.

The older guys will call it lazy, but but newer guys to this job it’ll be a lifesaver.

dudebro

The company can never get anything they come up with to work right, all this technology they come up with never works like it is supposed to. We can't keep people who will come to work now, what would they replace us with? Nobody wants to become a driver working with the ridiculous dispatches. I was off last week and they begged me to come into work every day because of poor staffing. I'm not worried about being replaced.
You're right in that no one is going to walk into the PCM with the Pack O Matic 6000 and fire the bottom driver on the seniority list.

Like everything else, pieces of work will be diverted, hiring will slow down, and we will attrit down to a new size over years.

Johney

It doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect. It just has to be a lower cost per package than the fully allocated $70-75 driver. If some imaginary new tech cost only $20/hour, it could be 1/3 as effective as a skilled driver and still save money. What's lucky for all of us so far, is that imaginary tech isn't here today. But people are working on it....
You sure about that? More unskilled drivers means less stops per hour(turn by turn NAV will never outdo a good driver) which means less stops per car which means more drivers on the road. So you think more trucks on the road(more fuel,more chance of accidents,etc.)will be better? No friend'in way. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

brown_trousers

You sure about that? More unskilled drivers means less stops per hour(turn by turn NAV will never outdo a good driver) which means less stops per car which means more drivers on the road. So you think more trucks on the road(more fuel,more chance of accidents,etc.)will be better? No friend'in way. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.
They arent implementing the technology for our gain. They are slowly installing technology to get to a point where they dont need us, and could replace our entire workforce on short notice if we ever go on strike.

It is UPS corporate's dream to have an almost fully automated sort system for hubs and centers, with minimum wage PVD drivers to deliver everything

keeb86

We were told the GPS that was supposed to be here with Orion fully implement in April is now pushed back to September. We have the charging mounts but that’s it for now.