burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
A gps/tablet system is long overdue on this Job.

I actually have a tough book tablet on my security gig for inputting reports and scanning various stuff, slots right into the patrol car and has GPS functionality. Murders any DIAD.

The older guys will call it lazy, but but newer guys to this job it’ll be a lifesaver.

You get to carry a gun?

dudebro

And which direction will that be? PT are already at minimum wages and no benefits. Most Hubs can not hire enough employees to staff the operation even with $100/wk bonus.

The push will be to find a way not to need people. The fact that wage rates seem to be under tremendous pressure makes the effort to automate more urgent, not less.

Heavy Package

How about UPS implementing technology where the SPA label corresponds to ORION's delivery order? That would be what makes sense from the standpoint of where UPS thinks they could really benefit. Then tie in the GPS linked to that delivery order. Why can't they ever properly finish and roll out what they started? Nope, it's DIAD GPS as the flavor of the quarter. It's like dealing with children who get bored with a toy and need to move on to something totally different where all the old toys just sit in a pile.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
imagine doctors bitching and moaning about advancements in technology in there chosen field. heart dr bitchin...."STENTS??? we dont need no freekin STENTS! crack open his chest and lets get on with that quadruple bypass." now wheres my golf clubs?"

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Orion hopscotching and properly planned routes should be what they are working on fixing. Orion should have current traffic patterns like google.

Johney

imagine doctors bitching and moaning about advancements in technology in there chosen field. heart dr bitchin...."STENTS??? we dont need no freekin STENTS! crack open his chest and lets get on with that quadruple bypass." now wheres my golf clubs?"
At least Stents were proven to work before sending them out into the operations.

The Driver

I drive.

If doctor's only had access to the same level of tech that UPS pushes they'd kill half their patients...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
And they still haven't perfected the crap to help them.
They still have to have scabs perform the work... the lifting, the moving, the driving... hell, they have made this job so complicated with Diad prompts, and questions that the average joe trying to do this job will be totally overwhelmed....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The push will be to find a way not to need people. The fact that wage rates seem to be under tremendous pressure makes the effort to automate more urgent, not less.
They would be doing the same damn thing(automation) if we all were making 12 bucks an hour....and if they get what they want eventually, most of you mgt folks can kiss your asses goodbye also...

dudebro

It doesn't have to outdo a good driver. You listed every reason we look to increase stops per car / SPORH, except the biggest expense. Roughly 60% of the expense is the driver. Controlling that cost is half of the reason center management even exists, and UPS will cut that too. Moreover, the day automation is capable of something, every day after, the expense goes DOWN, not up.
I think I said that....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I guess my driver doesn’t have this new wonderful technology. Half the boxes I have ordered the last two weeks go back to the building as “No Such Number”. There are ten houses on my street and I have been getting deliveries here for 34 years. I have six-inch numbers on my mailbox. My Saturday driver finds my house in the dark with no problem. I just called in a “Corporate Concern”. I wonder what ridiculous reason the Center Manager will use in the morning for this.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I have six-inch numbers on my mailbox

giphy.gif

Guess u have a rural neighborhood for your fellow brownie drivers to not find your house... or it's time some of those drivers to retire

abe8d0322a4a04873b0ccb1e37797b02.jpg

My suburbia are only uses 3" #s... which is the minimum & I've got a covered porch.

opie

The "Smart Scan" system some preloads use. I heard that it doesn't really work. I was told our building will never get it, we have too much volume. It would take forever for the preload to finish. Another money wasting idea.