Johney

They arent implementing the technology for our gain. They are slowly installing technology to get to a point where they dont need us, and could replace our entire workforce on short notice if we ever go on strike.

It is UPS corporate's dream to have an almost fully automated sort system for hubs and centers, with minimum wage PVD drivers to deliver everything
I didn't say they were. I think you need to reread my post and who I quoted bud.

dudebro

You sure about that? More unskilled drivers means less stops per hour(turn by turn NAV will never outdo a good driver) which means less stops per car which means more drivers on the road. So you think more trucks on the road(more fuel,more chance of accidents,etc.)will be better? No friend'in way. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

It doesn't have to outdo a good driver. You listed every reason we look to increase stops per car / SPORH, except the biggest expense. Roughly 60% of the expense is the driver. Controlling that cost is half of the reason center management even exists, and UPS will cut that too. Moreover, the day automation is capable of something, every day after, the expense goes DOWN, not up.

Again - you'll probably retire before we get there. But every large company is trying to get there like it's the 60's moon mission. GM / Ford / Mercedes / Volvo / Alphabet / Tesla / Apple / Uber... Do you really think they can hoover up the best minds in AI and throw billions of dollars at these items and NOT get there eventually? I think the Kool-Aid is in your dixie cup.

Johney

It doesn't have to outdo a good driver. You listed every reason we look to increase stops per car / SPORH, except the biggest expense. Roughly 60% of the expense is the driver. Controlling that cost is half of the reason center management even exists, and UPS will cut that too. Moreover, the day automation is capable of something, every day after, the expense goes DOWN, not up.

Again - you'll probably retire before we get there. But every large company is trying to get there like it's the 60's moon mission. GM / Ford / Mercedes / Volvo / Alphabet / Tesla / Apple / Uber... Do you really think they can hoover up the best minds in AI and throw billions of dollars at these items and NOT get there eventually? I think the Kool-Aid is in your dixie cup.
If you haven't noticed they've been using technology to increase SPORH or Stops per car for years now. I thought we were talking about getting rid of the union experienced driver and using tech to do it.

dudebro

If you haven't noticed they've been using technology to increase SPORH or Stops per car for years now. I thought we were talking about getting rid of the union experienced driver and using tech to do it.

That's later. First the tech is used to squeeze all of the low hanging fruit out of the routes (SurePost, mileage index, even the new key fobs to open the bulkhead door and start the package car). The goal is to increase profit by reducing window time and increasing delivery time. THEN when there's nothing left to gain on the drivers, the push will go in another direction.

Or... are you saying there AREN'T a bunch of drivers here telling people they're tired of the OT, the increased workload, the bricked out package cars.... where do you think that is coming from?

That's later. First the tech is used to squeeze all of the low hanging fruit out of the routes (SurePost, mileage index, even the new key fobs to open the bulkhead door and start the package car). The goal is to increase profit by reducing window time and increasing delivery time. THEN when there's nothing left to gain on the drivers, the push will go in another direction.

Or... are you saying there AREN'T a bunch of drivers here telling people they're tired of the OT, the increased workload, the bricked out package cars.... where do you think that is coming from?
The technology is flawed. Especially for the city drivers

dudebro

Technology is great...until it breaks down.

No EDD... The sky is falling

Maybe, but there aren't too many preloads left that don't use PAS, or hubs that don't use SmartScan. I'm not aware of any major disruptions that weren't A) localized or B) fixed very quickly.

Johney

I know all about tech and it's impact on drivers(I started when we used paper records)so I've seen it all. Again I thought we were talking about now not later.

Johney

Technology is great...until it breaks down.

No EDD... The sky is falling
Wasn't it great to watch all the young guns truly panic at the thought of no EDD? I use to just die laughing when they cried "What no EDD?" Although it's been quite sometime since I've seen the system fail.

PT Car Washer

Wasn't it great to watch all the young guns truly panic at the thought of no EDD? I use to just die laughing when they cried "What no EDD?" Although it's been quite sometime since I've seen the system fail.
I knew we were doomed when UPS implemented EDD for Saturday air. Imagine needing EDD for 20 stops before noon on a Saturday.